The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 04-11-2013, 11:51 AM   #91
J&B'sBBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmettoSmoke View Post
Quick Update:

I've sources the 6" pipe. I'm getting them to cut me two 21" pieces. The welder said that he can do the work while I'm there. I'm going to try to sneak out of work early today or tomorrow to get it done.

I'll post the results (with pics) as soon as it's done.
PLEASE let us know! Is it going to be pretty reaonsable in the cost department? If they only have 5" pipe to swap out for, I would almost be more willing to just go with the 6" and spend the money so it is correct...just havent decided yet for sure.
J&B'sBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-11-2013, 12:13 PM   #92
PalmettoSmoke
On the road to being a farker

Downloads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by J&B'sBBQ View Post
PLEASE let us know! Is it going to be pretty reaonsable in the cost department? If they only have 5" pipe to swap out for, I would almost be more willing to just go with the 6" and spend the money so it is correct...just havent decided yet for sure.
JPS11 linked me to a forum post on another site where this exact discussion took place back in December. It looks like a 6" pipe extended down to just above the top grate and 20" or so above the smoker solved his issues. He didn't replace the 3" exhaust on the grill end (since it's pointless anyway). Another mod that they were talking about is to lower the grate in the firebox to only about 3"-4" above the floor. I'm not at my house to do measurements right now, but I'm thinking a 36" pipe would get the job done.

Between the pipe and the welder's labor, I'm coming in at less that $150 if I just replace the one exhaust. I'll probably jsut et the welder to either cut the other exhaust off and patch the hole, or just leave it there and leave it closed.

I'm not sure about the rules for posting links to other forums here, so I'll send you the link in a PM if you're interested in reading it.

Modified Custom Pits Model A1 Offset Trailer, 18.5" WSM, 22.5" Weber Kettle, UDS Build in Progress
PalmettoSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-11-2013, 01:48 PM   #93
ButtBurner
is Blowin Smoke!

Downloads: 2

I saw that thread saga

its a pretty interesting read.
ButtBurner is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-12-2013, 08:13 AM   #94
J&B'sBBQ
Full Fledged Farker

I spoke to the guys at Custom Pits yesterday and did have a pretty good conversation with them.

They did admit to me that there are flow issues if you're wanting to achieve higher temps, and are changing those for their new pits. They said they will replace the pipes for me (for free). Also, I brought up the shelf placement in the firebox being a bit high (6" off the floor) and he said they will gladly lower that for us to whatever level we want. I am not sure if we should go wtih 2" or 3" off the bottom of the box but it would gain us at least 3" of room in there.

I will also say that we've been using this pit every weekend for the last month and 1/2, and as you work with it (as any smoker) it becomes easier to adjust and achieve the temperatures you want. We have had the door gauge up to 265-270 which means the upper right hand corner was reaching about 290. It CAN get to the higher temps, it just takes a lot of practice and work to get it there.

I'll let y'all know how it goes with them swapping out the pipes and lowering the rack.

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from:--->
Unread 04-12-2013, 08:17 AM   #95
PalmettoSmoke

Beth,

Thanks for the update. I'm glad that they have admitted the fault, and are replacing the stacks for free. I have chosen to get my own replacements because I live too far away. I'm only going to replace the exhaust closest to the firebox, as the other exhaust serves no purpose anyway.

As far as the grate in the firebox goes, I'd go 3" or 4" off the floor. You want to leave room for the ash to pile up and not smother your fire.

Modified Custom Pits Model A1 Offset Trailer, 18.5" WSM, 22.5" Weber Kettle, UDS Build in Progress

Unread 04-12-2013, 09:03 AM   #96
dwfisk
is Blowin Smoke!

"Also, I brought up the shelf placement in the firebox being a bit high (6" off the floor) and he said they will gladly lower that for us to whatever level we want. I am not sure if we should go wtih 2" or 3" off the bottom of the box but it would gain us at least 3" of room in there."

If it helps any, the firebox for my offset is 24" deep X 24 high X 22 wide and I have my firegrate about 2-1/2 inches off the floor. When I do a long cook, say 12-14 hours, I get about 1-1/2 inch of ash (burning hickory splits). I think 2-3 inches would be plenty. Best of luck!
Home built 48" fire pit with a 30"x30" Santa Maria style ranch grill.
Home built lump charcoal retort, iGrill & a bunch of other cooking toys.
dwfisk is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Unread 04-12-2013, 09:06 AM   #97
PalmettoSmoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwfisk View Post
"Also, I brought up the shelf placement in the firebox being a bit high (6" off the floor) and he said they will gladly lower that for us to whatever level we want. I am not sure if we should go wtih 2" or 3" off the bottom of the box but it would gain us at least 3" of room in there."

If it helps any, the firebox for my offset is 24" deep X 24 high X 22 wide and I have my firegrate about 2-1/2 inches off the floor. When I do a long cook, say 12-14 hours, I get about 1-1/2 inch of ash (burning hickory splits). I think 2-3 inches would be plenty. Best of luck!
That's good to know. Thanks for the info.

Unread 04-12-2013, 09:17 AM   #98
boiler93
Full Fledged Farker

They must have made that mod on mine before i bought it because if you go back and look at my pics my grate in the firebox is about 3 inches. Reading what everyone has posted here and the link that JPS11 sent out I should have my problem solved by swapping out the exhaust to a 6 inch. Thanks to all that helped!
boiler93 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-12-2013, 09:20 AM   #99
PalmettoSmoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by boiler93 View Post
They must have made that mod on mine before i bought it because if you go back and look at my pics my grate in the firebox is about 3 inches. Reading what everyone has posted here and the link that JPS11 sent out I should have my problem solved by swapping out the exhaust to a 6 inch. Thanks to all that helped!
I'm taking my smoker to the welder on my lunch break. I'll post pictures of the new exhaust. I won't be able to cook anything until next weekend though. I've got a busy day doing family stuff tomorrow, and I leave to go out of town for work on Sunday.

Unread 04-12-2013, 10:59 AM   #100
J&B'sBBQ
Full Fledged Farker

I will go with 2.5-3" of depth there then. Again, they were super helpful to me (not sure why they were not with others) and I will let everyone know how it goes. We'll be taking it to them on the 21st since we're competing next weekend in Cornelia and I do not want to make any mods to it right before the competition :).

Unread 04-12-2013, 12:15 PM   #101
TuscaloosaQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Downloads: 2

like I said way earlier in the post things were undersized intakes firebox and piping. I always wondered how they sold those for the price they do now I understand fully. One question how thick is the material on tha cooker is the firebox out of 1/4 inch sure don't look like it. I build em everyday and am not being critical I hope you get it worked out!!!! If that cooker is only designed to run 200 degrees..... That is truly sad !!!!! Every firebox we build is around 110% of what it should be by calculations.... It's not because it needs that much fire it is about 02 and flow a well managed smaller fire with a good coal bed is better no need to over fire and wear the firebox out needlessly in my opinion. I had to learn this and now I call it the gospel

Last edited by TuscaloosaQ; 04-12-2013 at 12:28 PM.. Reason: S
TuscaloosaQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-12-2013, 02:59 PM   #102
PalmettoSmoke

I just got home from the welder. This is a big pipe! I may do a test burn tonight if I have time. For now, here are some pics I took at the welders:

About 21" above the cook chamber

The inside of the chamber

I left the other (3" pipe) exhaust on for now. I may have them cut it off (or even with the grill) in the future. It looks a little silly.

Unread 04-12-2013, 04:45 PM   #103
dwfisk
is Blowin Smoke!

Looks good & I'm thinkin this will fix the problem. Get yourself a #10 tin can to keep the rain & kritters out.

Quote:
I just got home from the welder. This is a big pipe! I may do a test burn tonight if I have time. For now, here are some pics I took at the welders:

About 21" above the cook chamber

The inside of the chamber

I left the other (3" pipe) exhaust on for now. I may have them cut it off (or even with the grill) in the future. It looks a little silly.
Home built 48" fire pit with a 30"x30" Santa Maria style ranch grill.
Home built lump charcoal retort, iGrill & a bunch of other cooking toys.
dwfisk is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 04-12-2013, 07:43 PM   #104
PalmettoSmoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwfisk View Post
Looks good & I'm thinkin this will fix the problem. Get yourself a #10 tin can to keep the rain & kritters out.
Thanks. I hope this works! The welder cut a piece of scrap plate for a baffle (or whatever you call it). He welded a bolt to the exhaust and put the plate on there to cover the top.

Unread 04-12-2013, 09:00 PM   #105
1MoreFord
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Thanks. I hope this works! The welder cut a piece of scrap plate for a baffle (or whatever you call it). He welded a bolt to the exhaust and put the plate on there to cover the top.
Even with a damper it's still better to cover the stack with a can or bucket.