No more pork butt

HankB

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
So says the link to the article: New meat names mean bye bye, pork chop; hello, ribeye

:tsk:

From the article:
In an effort to boost sales going into the grilling season and make shopping at the meat counter a bit easier, the pork and beef industries are retooling more than 350 names of meat cuts to give them more sizzle and consumer appeal.

:rant2:

Bullpuckey! How is "retooling more than 350 names" going to "make shopping ... a bit easier?"

My theory is it will make it easier for the packers to sell lesser cuts for more $$$

:tsk: :mad2:

I admit I don't know what all the cuts are. I know what a pork butt is. I wonder what the new name for baby back ribs will be?

I know my meats pretty well. But, even I sometimes encounter something I have never heard of.

My parent's neighbor works for a restaurant supplier, and he gave me a chitload of "pork brisket steaks." In reality, it is rib tips. I had to Google and ask the brethren to find out what the fark pork brisket steaks were.

So, I wouldn't mind having some standardization in the meat naming routine.

It would also be nice to occasionally know what the phark Phubar is cooking. :becky:

CD

My take...

If you don't know what the fark kind of cut of meat you are cooking, I don't want to be eating it. And you probably shouldn't be cooking it..

Of course, doing a little research like C-dog did is usually too hard for the general public. Heaven forbid you actually go and TALK to the butcher about what you are buying! Then again, if he doesn't know what the fark the cut of meat is, you should probably find a new butcher!!! :mad:

K, I'm done..

I heard about the pork butt change a month ago or so from the pork board. They are changing it to pork shoulder, which is really what it is of course. Apparently shoulder is more consumer friendly than butt.

I heard about the pork butt change a month ago or so from the pork board. They are changing it to pork shoulder, which is really what it is of course. Apparently shoulder is more consumer friendly than butt.

I thought pork butt was being changed to Boston roast.

My take...

If you don't know what the fark kind of cut of meat you are cooking, I don't want to be eating it. And you probably shouldn't be cooking it..

Of course, doing a little research like C-dog did is usually too hard for the general public. Heaven forbid you actually go and TALK to the butcher about what you are buying! Then again, if he doesn't know what the fark the cut of meat is, you should probably find a new butcher!!! :mad:

K, I'm done..

Unless you don't live in a city, and aren't wealthy, like many of us. There isn't one of those "butchers" of which you speak within 50 miles of where I live, and that 50-mile one charges about three-four times more for meat than you can buy it everywhere else. I am mostly my own butcher. I kill meat and process it myself or buy it from normal grocery stores.

My take...

K, I'm done..

Problem with this is there aren't too many butcher shops left in the world, least not in my area, and I'm in metro Detroit! And the places that are it's just not cost effective to buy from vs. the supermarket. It's sad though, people are so accustomed to selecting prepackaged meats that they know little of their origins, and I believe it takes away from the entire food experience buying this way vs. buying from a butcher who can inform you of the cuts and qualities. However, I believe changing the names of cuts will just confuse the hell out of consumers, not make the cuts more appealing. What a buncha dorks.

Interesting. I'll admit though, I had no idea WTF a pork butt was before I started smoking a year or so ago. I really thought it came from the rear of the pig :caked:

My take...

K, I'm done..

This is how I feel too, with the advent of all of this great technology at our fingertips, yet people can't be arsed to do a little research on their own or talk to their butcher!:mad2::mad2::mad2:

Interesting. I'll admit though, I had no idea WTF a pork butt was before I started smoking a year or so ago. I really thought it came from the rear of the pig :caked:

My kids will be happy about the name change. When I told them excitedly that I was smoking a Boston Butt on Saturday, they had the same thought as you...and were not nearly as excited as I was.

It took me an hour to figure out what a Jewish Filet was the first time Phu mentioned it.

Why can't they just put on the packet "Pork Butt: If you don't know what that is, you don't need to be cooking it."

Either that or on every piece of meat, provide a hyperlink to type in that sends you to the Brethern.

I know my meats pretty well. But, even I sometimes encounter something I have never heard of.

My parent's neighbor works for a restaurant supplier, and he gave me a chitload of "pork brisket steaks." In reality, it is rib tips. I had to Google and ask the brethren to find out what the fark pork brisket steaks were.

So, I wouldn't mind having some standardization in the meat naming routine.

It would also be nice to occasionally know what the phark Phubar is cooking. :becky:

CD

I have found pork labeled brisket, it was whole like a roast and really did not know what it was, just suspected it was a tactic to confuse some and charge higher prices at the same time, so never bought any.

I don't like spare ribs now being sold pre trimmed and sold as St Louis style ribs at better than baby back ribs prices, again methinks the same tactic apply. In the past I have bought trimmed ribs but all the trimmings except fat, were included under the ribs at the same price but have not seen that for a long time.

One last peeve, is the meat labeled as product origin from the USA or Mexico, meaning both countries of origin on the same label, you have no way of knowing where it really came from, not that I think it makes a lot of difference, just would like to know.
Dave

Back