oink
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners(temp offline)
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-01-2013, 09:02 AM   #1
BrassGuru
Found some matches.

Default First Brisket Cook. Came out Dry(overcooked?)

All,
I did my first brisket cook yesterday on a weber otg 22.5". 9 pound packer. I did not touch the brisket, just let it cook until the probe read 190. It took 12 hours, but the brisket came out dry and I think overcooked. I let is rest 1 hour in a cooler. I had a water pan under the meat and the probe was in the middle of the flat. Any ideas?

BrassGuru is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-01-2013, 09:12 AM   #2
DriverWild
is one Smokin' Farker

Just a suggestion, try wrapping it and adding some moisture inside the foil after you have the color you're looking for next time. Also, try a larger packer. Smaller cuts are harder to keep moist, at least 12 lbs. Good luck!

Old 04-01-2013, 09:16 AM   #3
BrassGuru
Found some matches.

Yeah since it was my fist cook I just wanted to leave it alone. I only opened to lid to add charcoal. I will try a larger brisket next time.

Old 04-01-2013, 09:39 AM   #4
Mdboatbum
Full Fledged Farker

It was undercooked. See that line of connective tissue right below the fat/bark in the last picture? That's collagen. It holds the meat fibers together. During the cooking process it draws up, toughens and squeezes out all the "moisture" in the meat. Then, at some mysterious point known only to that particular brisket, it melts, loosening up all those meat fibers and producing that ooozy, juicy, unctuous, delicious gelatin that makes properly cooked brisket the stuff of legend and lore.
This is why, if you read more than a couple posts on brisket in this and many other forums, you'll see phrases like "probe tender", "cooked to tenderness", and "probes like butter". It's done when you can stick a toothpick or some other implement in the meat with little or no resistance. If you haven't eaten it all or tossed it, you can still salvage it. Just wrap it in foil with a little beef broth and put it in a 300˚ oven for an hour or so until it probes easily.
Mdboatbum is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-01-2013, 09:56 AM   #5
Ron_L

Yep... Dry brisket is almost always undercooked. Overcooked brisket falls apart.

The Naked Fatty!

Southern Q Limo Elite Gravity Fed/FEC-100/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Nomad Pellet-matic/Good-One Model 42/WSM X 2/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/UDS/Coffee Roasting Gasser
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-01-2013, 10:00 AM   #6
ClintHTX
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post
Yep... Dry brisket is almost always undercooked. Overcooked brisket falls apart.
This....also 190 is not super low but I don't start probing mine till 200 or so. Don't know how many times I have heard it but until it probes like butta. I ain't done. The wrap with liquid is pretty good for keeping them moist. And larger packers help also. I normally don't buy anything under 13 lbs.

Old 04-01-2013, 10:02 AM   #7
ClintHTX
is One Chatty Farker

And also on probing like butta you have to try different parts of the flat. I don't know how many times one spot I probed was awesome and stuck it a few other places they weren't quite there yet.

Old 04-01-2013, 10:05 AM   #8
BrassGuru
Found some matches.

Thanks guys.

Old 04-01-2013, 11:06 AM   #9
aawa
Babbling Farker

At 190 internal temperature it is undercooked. You can't go by doneness on brisket by internal temperature. Start probing for doneness at 195. Dont be afraid to let the brisket go past 200 IT temperature. The last brisket i did was 13lbs and it finally probed tender at 212 IT.
Sublime Smoke UDS
Lazy man Pitmaster IQ110 w/ rainbox

Superest Fasterest Blue Thermapen

Last edited by aawa; 04-01-2013 at 01:23 PM..
aawa is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-01-2013, 11:27 AM   #10
Daggs
Take a breath!

I have never had a brisket probe tender before 202*
The hardest thing about brisket is waiting!

Old 04-01-2013, 01:17 PM   #11
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

Brisket Slice Reading:

Take a slice from the middle of the flat. Note how it felt slicing, and how it looks.

If it felt hard or resistant to a sharp knife, clue one for undercooked.

If the meat fibers fuzz up (like your slice) you need a sharper knife, and it is undercooked as well. A dullish knife mashed brisket fibers when they are over-cooked.

If the slice falls apart of cracks in the middle, regardless of moisture, it is overcooked, if it is stiff, and when you bend it, you can see tiny threads of tissue, it is undercooked.

Pull the slices, holding the ends about 1/2" in your fingers. If the meat practically cleaves upon starting, it is overcooked, if it pulls slightly, the splits cleanly, cooked right, if it pulls and you see fibers pulling with the meat, then you are undercooked.

These signs will always be true, no matter how moist or dry the meat is. From there, you can make adjustments with the certainty that you are adjusting in the correct manner.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less

SSS
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 04-01-2013, 01:18 PM   #12
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

oh, BTW, AARRRRGGH! You will never have sharp knives as long as you use a glass cutting board.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less

SSS
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 04-01-2013, 01:21 PM   #13
Smoothsmoke
Babbling Farker

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by aawa View Post
At 190 internal temperature it is overcooked. You can't go by doneness on brisket by internal temperature. Start probing for doneness at 195. Dont be afraid to let the brisket go past 200 IT temperature. The last brisket i did was 13lbs and it finally probed tender at 212 IT.
Under*
A bunch of Webers
Smoothsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-01-2013, 01:23 PM   #14
aawa
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoothsmoke View Post
Under*
That is what i meant but it came out over for some reason. Stupid multitasking at work!
Sublime Smoke UDS
Lazy man Pitmaster IQ110 w/ rainbox

Superest Fasterest Blue Thermapen
aawa is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-01-2013, 01:25 PM   #15
Bamabuzzard
is One Chatty Farker

Yep. Under cooked. If you'd like the recipe for over cooked brisket let me know and I can PM it to you.

www.doubledsbbq.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Double...12864168786570
Stumps Baby Gravity Feed Smoker
Backwoods Patio Unit
Char Griller Offset for grilling
Bamabuzzard is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->