oink
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-29-2013, 04:01 PM   #1
Fatalis
Got Wood.

Default Ok, got my UDS, what should I do with this situation?

I have a tri tip I am going to cook on it first using high temp and using pecan wood, then 2 days later I am going to do my first pork butt with cherry and hickory wood.

So how should I handle this exactly? The charcoal should last through both cooks right? And how do I switch from pecan wood to cherry and hickory? Just dig around and swap em out?

Should I just use all the charcoal and get a new batch for the butt?

Also, how much charcoal should I use?
Fatalis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-29-2013, 04:27 PM   #2
el_matt
is One Chatty Farker

How much charcoal you need, and how much you'll have leftover is subjective. I reuse charcoal as often as possible. As far as changing the wood, just like you said, pick out the pecan, and add the other wood.

For two cooks like that, I'd refill your basket before you start the butt. The tri-tip should only take an hour or two, but the butt will be much longer. It's better to have too much charcoal in the basket, than not enough. Adding charcoal to an active UDS isn't fun(not that I've ever done that, just so you know!)

Matt

Old 03-29-2013, 05:19 PM   #3
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

Dump the ash, top up the basket & add what ever wood and smoke on.

Old 03-29-2013, 05:34 PM   #4
Just BS
is one Smokin' Farker

Don't sweat it.... Cook your tri-tip, then add your pecan when you cook your butt.

My basket will hold 20Lbs of lump easily. I fire it up, cook, then close it off to put out the coals. Next time I fire it up I may or may not add more lump and/or wood. If I want to do something speacial, then I may empty it and start with a fresh basket. But with a butt, I'd use whatever I got and let smoke away.

Lastly, it will take ya a few cooks on your UDS to get it to settle down and maintain its tep. Just try and relax and enjoy the process. G'luck!
Just BS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-29-2013, 10:21 PM   #5
popeye
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludawg View Post
Dump the ash, top up the basket & add what ever wood and smoke on.
thats the way i would do it
popeye is offline   Reply With Quote