The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-12-2014, 04:21 PM   #1
msweig
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default Grill suggestions

I've been grilling on and off for the last 10 years or so. I started with a Weber Kettle (in a lovely shade of Simpsons yellow), but got rid of it when it finally started to fall apart and I was about to move across the country. After the move my wife and I purchased what could best be described as a half drum grill. It was cheap, and frankly it sucks. What I want to do is get a new grille, but I'm not totally sure what all the options are out there, and could use some help. (I have tried to search some through the forum for some ideas though).

The primary stuff I've done is typically either direct heat (steaks, etc.), or a mid to high temp indirect heat (so not smoking temps, but higher, at the point where if you were "smoking" sausage you wouldn't need nitrates). Think chicken, ribs, etc. for the indirect stuff. And frankly, when it comes to these two techniques I've always been better with the indirect than direct heat with the Weber Kettle (though my wife is better with the direct heat. Yay teamwork).

My initial thought was to get some kind of charcoal grille with an adjustable tray for the charcoal (like the Hasty-Bake) to help my lack of skill in direct cooking. But now, after reading some more, I'm starting to wonder if I wouldn't just be better off just learning to do better with direct heat, as opposed to the adjustable tray. I kinda see these as my options:

1) Grab another Weber Kettle. Probably one of the Performance series.
2) Grab a ceramic cooker. I know there are a ton of different brands for these, but my gut reaction is to lean towards the Kamado Joe or BGE, as I know there are dealers for both of these in the area and they have good reputations. This strikes me as also giving me the option to actually smoke stuff on occasion if I want to try it, and also be able to do things like pizza pretty easily. Plus, since I live in Houston, less stuff to rust.
3) Something like the Hasty-Bake with the adjustable charcoal tray.

Are there other grills y'all would suggest I look at? Am I missing anything I should be considering?

Thanks in advance for your help.
msweig is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-13-2014, 07:58 AM   #2
peeps
somebody shut me the fark up.

I'd say a large ceramic looks to suit your needs/wants well...
- Major - Mini WSM (from SJS)

Certified IMBAS MOINK Baller! (Certificate of Authenticity) / Join the fun in the Throwdowns!
peeps is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-13-2014, 08:05 AM   #3
ICDEDTURKES
Full Fledged Farker

If I was looking for something to do it all I would go with a ceramic if its in your budget.. I would probably eye a Joe..
ICDEDTURKES is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-13-2014, 08:19 AM   #4
Jeep
On the road to being a farker

Grab a Weber One Touch Gold and use it while you figure out if you need another one. And you do need another one.

-Jeep

Old 06-13-2014, 09:27 AM   #5
qman
Babbling Farker

Man, I hate to do this so early in the morning but:
Peeps and Jeep's suggestions sound best to me.
If you want one cooker, go to the ceramic.
Two Weber kettles would allow you to do low and slow and direct grilling at the same time. One of those could be the Performer you mentioned.

Old 06-13-2014, 09:45 AM   #6
BBQ_MAFIA

Ceramic cookers are great and expensive. I love mine and if I could only have one cooker it would be my BGE. From low and slow cooks to the screaming hot sear on a steak the ceramic does it all.

Lang 60
Lang 84 Deluxe Warmer with Chargrill
Large Spicewine
Large BGE
XL - BGE
Med. BGE ( Bought it for my son Vincenzo)
Brinkman Snp
Brinkman ECB
GOSM
Weber Kettle
Kenmore Elite Gasser
Camp Chef Outdoor Stove
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 36" Griddle
1-Banjo
BBQ_MAFIA is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-13-2014, 10:22 AM   #7
DaveAlvarado
is One Chatty Farker

Another vote for ceramic for an all-in-one. Something like a XL BGE.
DaveAlvarado is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-13-2014, 10:36 AM   #8
Papa Q
On the road to being a farker

The cost of the egg is high to me personally and like it was said before me (and also like I do), the Weber kettles can do about anything. I smoke on my OTG and grill on my OTS. I have an offset reverse flow smoker as well for larger cooks but the 22.5 gold can do about anything, and usually can get it for under 150...which would be a nice down payment on an egg. But eggs are nice...

Old 06-13-2014, 11:23 AM   #9
dadsr4
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Two kettles have served me well for decades. If you change your mind, they resell well.

Old 06-13-2014, 11:26 AM   #10
HarrynVegas
Full Fledged Farker

If there is a budget issue, OTG is the way to go. If not, BGE is great.

Old 06-13-2014, 11:26 AM   #11
Bludawg

Weber 26.75" OTG!!

Old 06-13-2014, 11:49 AM   #12
SPRfree
Take a breath!

I would also jump on the ceramic bandwagon and if budget is an issue or if you want to experiment than look at the Akorn. I picked up mine on an Amazon sale last Labor day for $249.
SPRfree is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-13-2014, 03:05 PM   #13
Whitewookie
is one Smokin' Farker

Not to crack on ceramics (no pun intended), but I just don't think you can beat tho ole Weber kettle for an all around grill. The Performer series just adds some needed convenience.

VR,
Harold
Whitewookie is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-13-2014, 03:13 PM   #14
1911Ron
is One Chatty Farker

A lot of good suggestions so far, i would add my vote for a Weber Kettle my self, lots of folks here and over at the Weber Kettle Club are very knowledgeable about cooking on a Kettle. A Performer is a good choice, but a OTG can't be beat. Most all of mine are from Craigs List (some brand new!) and i can do almost anything on it.

Old 06-13-2014, 03:15 PM   #15
funugy
Take a breath!

I'm a Weber fan. I was torn between 2 22.5's and a 26.75 for a while. I ended up with the 26.75 and am glad I did. Plenty of room for those larger cooks, but efficient enough to cook for 2. I ended up donating my 22.5 to a buddy to get him started, but with the understanding that I can come get it whenever I need/want it.

Ceramics are nice. My uncle has the Large BGE. I just can't justify the cost for it. I'm just a cheap bastard I guess. I'll take the extra money and buy meat.
funugy is offline   Reply With Quote