The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 03-24-2013, 01:29 AM   #1
GMDGeek
Take a breath!

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Kamado Hinge vs Green Egg Hinge

OK - before y'all jump me for this, yes I know there are several threads on the subject. This though is my first hand experience from last night and finally getting to see a Kamado up front and personal; more specifically the XL Kamado.

Was out with a bud last night getting a bite at Twisted Root (Hamburger joint) when he pointed to a BBQ Grill/Smoker store. Needless to say - I informed him dinner was on hold, and walked across the street.

Side by side in the store they had a XL Kamado and a XL Green Egg. First glance, wasn't much difference, not until I lifted the lid. HOLY CRAP I have to say - the hinge on the Green Egg needs some serious re-engineering. I know it can be tweaked and dialed in but wow, it wasn't even. The guy came out and spent 30 minutes talking with me while having another guy try to correct the hinge offset that made the lid sit off center.

The Kamado hinge on the other hand was pretty freaking solid and little chance for it getting of center. Granted, the Kamado hinge I think needs to be a bit beefer than the Green Eggs cause that lid is a bit weighty.

Surface area they were about the same, but I have to say I liked the Kamado a lot more than the green egg. Design and layout of the internal guts just made more sense to me and seemed that it would provide a more all around Grill/Smoker than the Green Egg to me.

Doesn't much matter though, fat chance my wife will let me purchase another pit for awhile considering the new one gets here on May 11th.

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from:--->
Unread 03-24-2013, 01:42 AM   #2
kds9547
Take a breath!

Funny you should post this. I've had my LBGE about a month now and the only thing I have a concern with is the hinge/bands. My top is off center about 1/4" and sits about 1/4" too far back. Doesn't affect the cooking, and most people probably won't notice it, but I do. I haven't really had time to tweak it but when I do I really don't know how much pressure I can apply to it without damaging something. If I can't get it centered without a lot of effort I think I'll just contact BGE. I think the hinge is plenty stout, it just isn't centered.
kds9547 is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-24-2013, 01:47 AM   #3
GMDGeek
Take a breath!

I watched them work on the one they were attempting to adjust. Didn't look like a lot of force but more loosing of this screw, sliding this band here, twisting another screw, etc... not what I call fun. Also found out that the BGE Smoke stack top, dampener, or as they call it a "Dual Function Metal Top" comes off rather easily. Which kind of bugged me as well the thing its attached to gets open and closed a lot.

Unread 03-24-2013, 03:05 AM   #4
kds9547
Take a breath!

I hope I can get it right with a little twist or two. As far as the dampener, or "daisy wheel" as the dealer called it, it would slide completely open every time I raised the lid, but I fixed that with a couple of oversized washers and it is not an issue for me now. All in all I am very happy for the money and I cooked the best rack of spares I've had to date last week. Most every grill/smoker I've ever had I had to tweak for one reason or another.

Unread 03-24-2013, 04:37 AM   #5
HeSmellsLikeSmoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kds9547 View Post
I hope I can get it right with a little twist or two. As far as the dampener, or "daisy wheel" as the dealer called it, it would slide completely open every time I raised the lid, but I fixed that with a couple of oversized washers and it is not an issue for me now. All in all I am very happy for the money and I cooked the best rack of spares I've had to date last week. Most every grill/smoker I've ever had I had to tweak for one reason or another.
If open the lid and then spin the damper to where gravity has it open to where you want it, then you are all set when you open and close the lid.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-24-2013, 04:55 AM   #6
kds9547
Take a breath!

Well damn Jim, that makes sense. Thanks. I still keep thinking the whole thing is going to fall off when I open the lid but it hasn't yet.

Unread 03-24-2013, 06:15 AM   #7
HeSmellsLikeSmoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kds9547 View Post
Well damn Jim, that makes sense. Thanks. I still keep thinking the whole thing is going to fall off when I open the lid but it hasn't yet.
The problem is I keep forgetting to do that dang near every time I take the thing off and then put it back on. :

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-24-2013, 07:29 AM   #8
morgaj1
is one Smokin' Farker

Just for clarification: Was it a Kamado Joe that you saw at the store GMDGeek?

A nation of sheep will soon have a government of wolves - Edward R. Murrow
morgaj1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-24-2013, 07:58 AM   #9
thirdeye
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Downloads: 2

Dome/band alignment can be tricky, I find it's easiest to loosen everything just enough to re-position the pieces (dome or bands, or both)... then I alternate the re-tighten sequence so I don't pull something out of alignment. It might take 3 or 4 trips through all the bolts to get them tight. Then the next time the Egg is hot, I work my way around the bolts again. If your fit-up error can not be corrected, contact your dealer. Some folks have gotten a new dome or base because of fit problems due to the casting.

Apparently there are some caps out there that are just too large for a snug fit. I always advise folks to check that while still at the dealer, and to swap caps until they find one that fits correctly.... The easy fix for you is to add a strip of gasket material around the outside diameter of the chimney, or around the inside diameter of the cap. I've seen the felt gasket material used, or a bead of hi-temp gasket material (the kind in the tube) used for this.

Like HeSmellsLikeSmoke mentioned, just get in the habit of adjusting the slider, then spinning the cap so the screw is facing the front of the Egg. It works like a charm.

If you take no action, over time a little gunk from the smoke will build up on the chimney and on the screw in the cap. This will help with both problems.

KCBS - CBJ
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
thirdeye is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-24-2013, 03:01 PM   #10
kds9547
Take a breath!

Thanks thirdeye. I may try the gasket trick just to put my mind at ease.

I put it together myself as that was one of the conditions of the discount he gave me. I will try to reset the top and work my way around it one day this week. I feel sure that with a little adjustment I can get it spot on.

Unread 03-24-2013, 03:35 PM   #11
GMDGeek
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgaj1 View Post
Just for clarification: Was it a Kamado Joe that you saw at the store GMDGeek?
Yes it was a Kamado Joe XL ...

Unread 03-24-2013, 04:25 PM   #12
Smoothsmoke
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMDGeek View Post
Yes it was a Kamado Joe XL ...
The Kamado Big Joe's hinge is a thing of beauty. Very little effort is needed to open it.

A bunch of Webers
Smoothsmoke is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-24-2013, 05:53 PM   #13
shirknwrk
Take a breath!

Kamado Joe is an excellent cooker with some improvements on the BGE. Komodo Kamado is tile covered artistic creation that costs 3 times as much as the others... but is a great cooker. There is a cooker called simply "Kamado" which is the subject of a forum dedicated to the shortcomings of that particular cooker. Stay away from it.

http://www.kamadofraudforum.org/

Last edited by shirknwrk; 03-24-2013 at 05:55 PM.. Reason: add link
shirknwrk is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-24-2013, 11:10 PM   #14
GMDGeek
Take a breath!

Thanks for the responses gang - again this is about a Kamado Joe hinge (my fault for not stating it was a Kamado Joe) vs a BGE hinge. I wanted to get peoples thoughts on that. I had no intention of dragging or having a carry over banter/argument from some one else's post pop up in here. So if we could please stay on track. If you plan to bring in the Komodo Kamado to all this please don't. There is another thread currently active with plenty of thoughts and opinions running around on it. I am more into the HINGE question I originally asked as well as observations on the differences between the Kamado Joe and BGE.

Thanks.

Unread 03-24-2013, 11:34 PM   #15
kds9547
Take a breath!

Sorry 'bout that GMD. Didn't intend for that to happen.

Anyway, I adjusted the bands this afternoon - moved them closer to the gasket and it is spot on now. So It was just an error on my part. I find the hinge to be substantial and the lid is very easy for me to open and close.