MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-25-2013, 10:01 PM   #1
Lobsterbake
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Mark
Default Komodo Kamado vs BGE top vent

No comparison - friend has BGE and daisy wheel won't stay put. No washer needed and KK top wont fall off when lid is open. You get what you pay for - BGE is a good unit but not the best on the market as so many of my friends say - of course that's when they are not complaining about gasket, top vent and the band issues. Buy quality and only cry once......

I am not affiliated with KomodoKamado in anyway - just tired of delusional BGE owners who can't face facts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (80.1 KB, 200 views)

Last edited by Lobsterbake; 03-25-2013 at 10:32 PM..
Lobsterbake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-25-2013, 10:57 PM   #2
JasonATI
Got Wood.

Not sure what you mean by stay put, but I've never had my top fall off when opening the lid.
JasonATI is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-26-2013, 02:08 AM   #3
deez20
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Steve

We get it, you like a product that you don't even own yet and anybody that likes an egg better than a Komodo is "delusional". Why start another thread instead of just continuing on in the one you already started on the Komodo which is 1 thread above this one?

If you like the Komodo great, there are plenty of BGE owners that have no issues and would rather spend $10 to replace a gasket every few years than spend $4000+ on a cooker. It's great that the outside of the Komodo remains cool to the touch but I've done hundreds of cooks on my eggs and the idea of grabbing onto the lid when it's firing away at 500+ degrees has never entered my mind. If that and the paint job are the only difference ill keep my egg.

Chubby Hubby BBQ

WSM
Yoder YS640
Cookshack 008
GMG Davy Crockett
Large Big Green Egg
The Fastest and most accurate Thermapen, the ORANGE Thermapen.
Stoker

Last edited by deez20; 03-26-2013 at 04:55 AM..
deez20 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from:--->
Old 03-26-2013, 04:27 AM   #4
shirknwrk
is one Smokin' Farker

The ceramic rain cap does sit loosely on the BGE and could come off if the lid were thrown open quickly. The cast iron "daisy wheel" fits better (Mine has never come off). Both can easily remedied by gluing a strip of gasket material to the inside of the cap or daisy wheel or the outside of the exhaust vent (Like Kamado Joe does).
shirknwrk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-26-2013, 08:05 AM   #5
Jorge
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobsterbake View Post
No comparison - friend has BGE and daisy wheel won't stay put. No washer needed and KK top wont fall off when lid is open. You get what you pay for - BGE is a good unit but not the best on the market as so many of my friends say - of course that's when they are not complaining about gasket, top vent and the band issues. Buy quality and only cry once......

I am not affiliated with KomodoKamado in anyway - just tired of delusional BGE owners who can't face facts.
Or you position your daisy wheel properly, and don't have to jack with it.

Keeping Valspar in BBQ, one cook at a time.

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!

Last edited by Jorge; 03-26-2013 at 08:31 AM..
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 03-26-2013, 10:20 AM   #6
BobBrisket

Name/Nickname : Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobsterbake View Post

As a moderator, I'll tell you what I AM TIRED of:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=156420

I (we) are tired of having to clean up messes. Everyone has a favorite. We are passionate when it comes to our favorites. BUT, to then rank on those that don't pull for your "favorite" is what starts pissing matches around here. Pissing matches make work for us. Delusional can go many ways..........
NO personal attacks. NO attacks of any kind. Recognizing that everyone has, and is entitled to an opinion, if your opinion comes across as antagonistic, bad karma, insulting or hurtful to another member, or person, keep it to yourself. Any meaningless post that is nothing more than a negative comment or is strictly there to antagonize, will be edited or deleted. Any post with no redeeming quality or deemed negative by moderators will be deleted. In other words, you are NOT allowed to be a jerk just to chit stir or piss people off. Moderators do not have time to be putting out flame wars.

How bout you go buy that cooker and then start posting pron. Pron makes everyone happy!

Bob
PBC-Courtesy of Poobah, 22.5 Weber Kettles-A, K, DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle Black and Red, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver, Lil' Chief Smoker, Discada Set Up,OKJ Highland Offset.
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver
My BEST Compliment....."You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son :)
Miss You, Marty and Bull! RIP

Last edited by BobBrisket; 03-26-2013 at 10:43 AM..
BobBrisket is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-26-2013, 10:58 AM   #7
Grain Belt
is one Smokin' Farker

I wonder what lobsterbake would think about my curbside rescue Weber kettle? I never thought I'd see a thread where the BGE is the inferior "cheapy." Oh well! I'm sure the Komodo is awesome. I know BGE are great. And I know my ribs this weekend on the kettle made my boys smile.
Grain Belt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-26-2013, 10:59 AM   #8
deepsouth
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge View Post
Or you position your daisy wheel properly, and don't have to jack with it.

quoted for emphasis. i have no problems with my daisy wheel.

Old 03-26-2013, 04:21 PM   #9
bbqbull
Watching over us.

I am speaking as a dues paying member here and not a moderator on this post!

As a the owner of a large BGE..........My daisy wheel never moves after I get it dialed in. Owned it for almost 5 years now.
Just sayin!!!
bbqbull is offline   Reply With Quote