The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 03-23-2013, 08:22 PM   #1
Fatalis
Got Wood.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Building a UDS, how do I know if a closed drum is unlined?

There is a steel shop near by that has 2 closed - unlined - food grade drums for $20 that previously had corn oil inside, he also stated there was no rust inhibitor on the inside.

How does he know this if it is closed? More importantly, how do I know this, is there some sort of mark I can check on the bottom of the drum or something?

I am trying to avoid a 4 hour drive to get a new one and a burnout as much as possible.
Fatalis is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-23-2013, 08:31 PM   #2
HeSmellsLikeSmoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

Can you get them to open a bung and shoot a flash picture into the hole, then email it to you?

Edit: Oops, I missed the nearby part. Never mind.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle

Last edited by HeSmellsLikeSmoke; 03-23-2013 at 08:51 PM..
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-23-2013, 08:40 PM   #3
SmokinFatties
Knows what a fatty is.

Two drums twenty bucks. You said it was nearby take a look at them but for that deal who cares. I could deal with whatever they were for that price.

Unread 03-23-2013, 08:50 PM   #4
Hook_Line_and_Sinker
is One Chatty Farker

Unlined- because its just too dam hard to get the inside spray painted , coated or lined unless you got some midgit elves painting crew.

Viking 30 inch Gravity Fed Charcoal Smoker
Brinkmann 5 burner gas grill with sear & rotisserie
UDS's 3 and growing
Char Griller w/SFB w/mods
Orion Cooker
Charbroil 7000 Gas Grill
Hook_Line_and_Sinker is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Unread 03-24-2013, 03:08 AM   #5
Hook_Line_and_Sinker
is One Chatty Farker

Where are these and do they have more?

UDS's 3 and growing
Orion Cooker
Charbroil 7000 Gas Grill

Unread 03-24-2013, 04:16 AM   #6
HeSmellsLikeSmoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hook_Line_and_Sinker View Post
Unlined- because its just too dam hard to get the inside spray painted , coated or lined unless you got some midgit elves painting crew.
I can't tell if you are serious here, but they do make lined drums with closed heads.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-24-2013, 11:10 AM   #7
Outboard Racer
Got Wood.

Default Drum

Fatalis - Most drums that contain food oil are lined. I am not sure why these would be unlined but if they are its a good deal.

You will not find any info on the bottom of the barrel that states the info your looking for. They are on labels that contain what it is with listed ingredients etc and what its hazards are for Safety and Hazards reasons along with MSDS. This might be where he is getting his info to you.

Seems crazy but they even have to be stored away from other items as well here in Ca. I work with this stuff everyday.

Where are you located in Ca?
Outboard Racer is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-24-2013, 12:04 PM   #8
fantomlord
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatalis View Post
There is a steel shop near by that has 2 closed - unlined - food grade drums for $20 that previously had corn oil inside, he also stated there was no rust inhibitor on the inside.

How does he know this if it is closed? More importantly, how do I know this, is there some sort of mark I can check on the bottom of the drum or something?

I am trying to avoid a 4 hour drive to get a new one and a burnout as much as possible.
If it's got no rust inhibitor, then I'd say it's pretty likely to be lined...only question is what the lining is.

Unread 03-24-2013, 04:49 PM   #9
ssbbqguy
is one Smokin' Farker

Just buy a new unlined drum and forget about it.Steve.
ssbbqguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-25-2013, 09:25 PM   #10
Fatalis
Got Wood.

Okay so i got the drum, its unlined but the inside just looks like pure steel...it is food grade and is it possible to tell if there is rust inhibitor or not? Because it doesn't look like anythings in it..

Unread 03-26-2013, 12:23 AM   #11
Hook_Line_and_Sinker
is One Chatty Farker

Sand a spot and you should be able to tell- no real change in color or appearance
I have only seen unlined closed drums out here but I've only dealt with @5 closed head drums
Food grade oil is a rust prohibitor so it makes sense they could very well be unlined

Do they have any more ? I could use another

UDS's 3 and growing
Orion Cooker
Charbroil 7000 Gas Grill

Unread 03-26-2013, 07:56 AM   #12
ssbbqguy
is one Smokin' Farker

Don't assume that the clear coating on a unlined drum is just food grade oil. It is not.It's like a cheap paint that should be sanded out. It's way easier than removing a lining. Should take about ten to fifteen minutes by hand. Steve.
ssbbqguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-26-2013, 09:15 AM   #13
Just BS
Take a breath!

I have no inside info to offer, just thinking out loud here.... I'd imagine that any drum that contained food product would have some sort of lining unless it was stainless steel (in which case it would cost $100), because humidity alone causes those things to start getting rust in less than 5 minutes.
Just BS is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-26-2013, 12:33 PM   #14
SmokinJohn
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatalis View Post

I would think that a drum containing oil would not need a rust inhibitor, as the oil would displace any water that might attack the steel.

Of course, that doesn't stop the drum from having a liner, which I think it would need to have to avoid "flavoring" the oil.

But I'm really thinking that you should give me the location, and I will get them .

I love a good burnout! Two is three times the fun.

Unread 03-26-2013, 01:45 PM   #15
Fatalis
Got Wood.

They got like 6-8 closed unlined for $20 in southern San Diego (national city) the shop is called Material Sales Inc and they are changing the name to something like "handy metal shop" I forget. It does appear they have no rust inhibitor on them, and they were all used for the same purpose.