MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 03-24-2013, 11:46 AM   #1
gapabral
Got Wood.

Default Competition Ribs- Cutting Them

If you are cooking multiple slabs at a contest, how important is it that the ribs line up evenly when placed in the box. I was just watching one of Bill Anderson's(Chatham Artillery) and he was cutting them so there was meat on both sides of the bone(Hollywood Cut?). However, there is no way they would line up evenly in the box although they looked like great ribs.

If you are getting 2 ribs from each slab and turning in 6 to 8 bones, regardless of how you cut them, I would think it would be difficult to have them lined up evenly.

It is quite obvious I don't know what is important or I would score higher in ribs

thank you
gapabral is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-24-2013, 12:14 PM   #2
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Everyone has their own methods, but I don't do hollywood cut, and when I put ribs next to each other in the box they come from the same rack, so if I am putting 6 bones across they are all from the same rack.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/Weber Q1000/Blackstone Camping Griddle/Pit Boss Pro Series 850
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-24-2013, 12:22 PM   #3
Porky
is One Chatty Farker

From a judges standpoint, seeing a box that has ribs that are evenly cut is impressive. It shows that you are making a statement with your presentation. Keep in mind that this not the only criteria that is considered.
Weber OTG Walnut handle from Marty Leach
KCBS #20486,FBA certified Master judge,IMBAS (MOINK BALL) Certified

Like what you do. Do what you like.
Porky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-24-2013, 12:56 PM   #4
smokeisgood
is one Smokin' Farker

Is cutting right alongside the bone and having all the meat on one side frowned upon by judges, and is it better to have meat on both sides? Seems like it would be less likely to fall off it you go over a little...
smokeisgood is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-24-2013, 01:02 PM   #5
nucornhusker
Babbling Farker

I think it would be more likely for the meat to fall off since there is nothing holding it on the other side. Then it would all just slide right off.

Some judges eat from the top not the side, so you get all of the good meat there and get to see how well the meat pulls from the bone.

Old 03-24-2013, 06:00 PM   #6
TheJackal
Full Fledged Farker

Smokeisgood, these are cut along one side. Not sure how the one in the middle was cut opposite from the rest. (The things you notice when looking at the pics after turn-ins.) The was 7th place at Hudson Valley Ribfest. We made the decision to make them look like 7 distinct bones instead of trying to 'match them up' or place them together. In 5 years we have only received 2 comment cards. This was one of them. It was a positive comment that praised our unigue presentation.

TheJackal is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-24-2013, 06:19 PM   #7
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!

If you can't get 3 pieces using Hollywood cut then you have a problem. That should be one layer across. Use 2 slabs and you have 6 for kcbs. With 8 in FBA it requires 3 good slabs. It should all line up good if you trim right.

Thanks from: --->
Old 03-24-2013, 07:49 PM   #8
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Hance

Sure good to see you 'round, Ford.
Was Lang 84DX, now Bubba Grills 250R and many Weber grills
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-24-2013, 09:06 PM   #9
tnjimbob
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Jim H.

We always try to cut right between the bones, so they are equal on both sides of the bone. Symmetrical bones always look better when I arrange the turn in box.

Old 03-25-2013, 09:56 AM   #10
Southern Home Boy
is One Chatty Farker

As a KCBS CBJ I will tell you what I look for (I can't speak for anyone else though).

First, let me remind you that presentation is only one part of the score. It is also the lightest weighted part of your score. So if you are going to focus on anything, focus on flavor (taste) first, perfect texture (the meat should bite through easily and pull away from the bone in the bite area ONLY cleanly) second and THEN worry about your appearance scores.

Now... with that said, I score appearance higher on boxes that have as many bones as possible from the same rack. Therefore, hollywood cuts do nothing to improve that score. I'm right-handed, so I naturally grab the "handle" ( that part of the rib rib that has pulled away from the bone) with my right hand. I bite from the side for a couple of reasons: I want to see if the meat pulls off anywhere but my bite; I want to see how cleanly the meat pulls away from the bone and I want to see how quickly the bone dries after the bite. So, with the "handle" on the right, I like the meatiest part of the rib facing me.

But like I said, that's just me.
Pro Q Frontier, UDS (Little Red), "Turtle Drum" UDS, CG Gasser KCBS CBJ#61160
Southern Home Boy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-25-2013, 10:39 AM   #11
Hawg Father of Seoul
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Home Boy View Post
.... I want to see how quickly the bone dries after the bite.
You are just the person who mentioned this today and nothing personal as I know it did not originate with you, and I have heard this multiple times.

My question is what does bone drying have to do with taste or tenderness? It can't be appearance because it was INSIDE the presentation.
Hawg Father of Seoul is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-25-2013, 11:04 AM   #12
Southern Home Boy
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawg Father of Seoul View Post
You are just the person who mentioned this today and nothing personal as I know it did not originate with you, and I have heard this multiple times.

My question is what does bone drying have to do with taste or tenderness? It can't be appearance because it was INSIDE the presentation.
When a rib is fully and properly cooked, the bone will dry very quickly and will have a hard, opaque (almost "bleached") appearance within seconds of the bite.

It doesn't apply "directly" to tenderness, but it is a secondary indicator of proper cooking temperatures. I use it more for validation of my initial impression and overall "mouth feel".
Pro Q Frontier, UDS (Little Red), "Turtle Drum" UDS, CG Gasser KCBS CBJ#61160
Southern Home Boy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-25-2013, 11:38 AM   #13
Hawg Father of Seoul
is One Chatty Farker

Kind of like a CSI to see how good the cook (not the product) is?

We must agree to disagree about this, or at least for my part. Thanks for the honest answer.

Old 03-25-2013, 11:51 AM   #14
rweller
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawg Father of Seoul View Post
Kind of like a CSI to see how good the cook (not the product) is?

We must agree to disagree about this, or at least for my part. Thanks for the honest answer.
At every KCBS contest the judges have to listen to a recording. It is kind of a refresher coures of what to look for as your judging. On this recording they go over all 4 meat catagories. When it gets to ribs one of the things it says is when you take a bite from the rib it should come off clean and the bone sould dry quickley. This one of the things to look for in a properly cooked rib.
I think this is what Southern Home Boy is referring to. It might not have anything to do with taste but you could use it as a tool for tenderness(clean bite and color of the bone).
I see your point to though.

Old 03-25-2013, 11:59 AM   #15
Hawg Father of Seoul
is One Chatty Farker

Cool, I did not know it was coming straight from KCBS. I'll ask them.

I apologize for my ignorance Southern Home Boy.