The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 03-22-2013, 03:31 PM   #1
Pappy Q
is one Smokin' Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Strube Ranch briskets

I'm considering switching to them for comp briskets. Anyone with experience on them willing to share their opinion?
Pappy Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-22-2013, 04:06 PM   #2
cpw
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 4

I don't have any experience with them, but the man that sells them (Big Poppa) is on this forum regularly, and uses them in comps. I'm sure he'll be glad to answer any questions.
UDS
Savannah, GA
Yes, Dear BBQ on Facebook
Proudly sponsored by Dixie Meat Rub
cpw is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-22-2013, 04:14 PM   #3
jbrink01
is Blowin Smoke!

Switching From? I used them 2 years ago. Several firsts in Brisket and made it on stage at the Royal.
[CENTER][B][I][B]KCBS #13207[/B][/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]2013 Insane Can Posse [/I][I]Tour [/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][I]Sponsored By: [/I][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Gateway BBQ Store[/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Blues Hog BBQ Company[/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Plowboys BBQ Company[/I][/B][/CENTER]
jbrink01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-22-2013, 04:18 PM   #4
Pappy Q
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrink01 View Post
Switching From? I used them 2 years ago. Several firsts in Brisket and made it on stage at the Royal.
Switching from SRF
Pappy Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-22-2013, 05:42 PM   #5
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrink01 View Post
and you use now? truth only, please.

avatar by grillman. patent pending. :mad2::becky:
boogiesnap is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-23-2013, 12:53 AM   #6
jmoney7269
Banned

Tried em, didn't care for em, didn't win with em, started using cab choice national beef packers or Angus pride and the walks started happening. I ain't got nothing against big poppa smokers, but is prices are too outrageous for a smaller brisket than you will get directly from strube. here in tx it takes 1 business day to ship. I have Doug's personal cell phone # that works at strube, he will personally hand pick you out a good one for competitions rather than random bulk big companies are sent. Pm me if you want Doug's number and I will get you set up. Just FYI I fell for the"wagyu" gimmick a while back also.
The black means its aged.

Doug Is a super nice guy that will do anything for the customer and or that alone it's worth a try.
jmoney7269 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-23-2013, 08:47 AM   #7
luckyduk
Full Fledged Farker

Imo, the Strube briskets are great and yes they tend to run on the small size. Last year I got quite a few in the 15-17 pound range, but later in the season and thus far this year they have been in 12-15 pound range.
On a side note, when the brisket size goes down, the flat on the Strubes stays really nice, you just lose some point.
Stumps 3X5 offset with warmer
luckyduk is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 03-23-2013, 06:57 PM   #8
bcaggie07
Got Wood.

I used them in my last comp and placed 4th in brisket. This was at a sam's club local event. The reason they are smaller is that Texas has been fighting droughts the past few years. This does not help they grow.

Unread 03-23-2013, 07:28 PM   #9
Big Poppa
is one Smokin' Farker

Nice Hatchet job here. I hardly make anything on Strube Briskets...It drives customers to me. If you give us more than a few days we select from the same place Doug does.

But to answer you I use them and it helped me win the royal and another rgc today at Sams Tucson.

By the way back to the cheap shot by Jmoney...
compare our shipping to anyone...
also nobody has big wagyus currently..SRF has been struggling with the same issues.
The truth is the 14 pound brisket is the new 17. Times have changed as long as feed is what it is.
We ship one day from and to Texas
By the way Doug doesnt work for Strube anymore. That cell link is going to be pretty useful....
I guarantee you that our customers get the same quality brisket and cheap[er freight than Strube..(who by the way is not accepting new BBQ customers
The sticker that you claim means its agen it the only sticker they offer and does not mean anything.

Last edited by Big Poppa; 03-23-2013 at 07:45 PM..
Big Poppa is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-23-2013, 07:46 PM   #10
jmoney7269
Banned

No cheap shot, your just simply over priced in that particular item. I can get it $50 cheaper from Doug. I'm just not brand loyal like some. But like everything else about y'all's site even get my plowboys and pepper plant from yall. Excellent achievement in the royal last btw.
Poppa, I could have a strube tomorrow any of 5 different retailers and at cost, but until then, I'm gonna stick with my national beef, cargill or Sam kanes.

Unread 03-23-2013, 07:49 PM   #11
Big Poppa
is one Smokin' Farker

jmoney you are so out of date Doug doesnt work there anymore.

Unread 03-23-2013, 07:54 PM   #12
Scottie
Babbling Farker

Good job today Sterling.

Red Jambo one off
FE 100
FEC 100
WSM
Homer Simpson 22 " Weber Kettle
Red 18 1/2" Weber Kettle
Black 26 3/4" Weber Kettle
Scottie is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-23-2013, 08:00 PM   #13
Big Poppa
is one Smokin' Farker

Thx Scottie. Always good to see you my friend!

Unread 03-23-2013, 08:13 PM   #14
StrubeRanch
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Doug hasn't worked for Strube Ranch in months. If anyone has a question about our briskets, please feel free to ask. all new sales go thru Big Poppa. The few customers that we service direct are customers that we sold to before we partnered up with Big Poppa. We can't compete with Big Poppa's shipping rates. Our goal was to be able to hand pick briskets for comp guys and provide them with a reasonable shipping rate. Before we teamed up with Big Poppa, the shipping cost was a deal breaker for many people. Now, it's the best of both worlds....hand picked Wagyu briskets with thick flats and reasonable shipping. Plus, you can't beat Big Poppa's customer service...those folks are on the ball. And yes, the briskets are running a bit smaller...with corn at $8 BU nobody is feeding cattle to 1,800 lbs anymore.
StrubeRanch is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Unread 03-23-2013, 08:26 PM   #15
jmoney7269
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Poppa View Post
jmoney you are so out of date Doug doesnt work there anymore.
That's fine I probably Am out of date, only cooked 4 of them amd can tell you that i could not tast the big difference that people claim. They were good but not $50 extra worth, but for you to dangle a carrot and act like your the only one that those briskets can be gotten from is totally not the case. That's fine, just tryin to help some peeps out. Y'all can keep them expensive overpriced angus briskets with 1/1000th heritage of the tijyama-gyu bloodline. That wagyu is Japanese "style" Kobe beef which is just faux Kobe. I use what I like and what's been been winning for me. It's not the arrow, it's the Indian. We smoked lots of teams with select Walmart or HEB briskets in big comps that use all that expensive stuff. In the end it's all just preference

Last edited by jmoney7269; 03-23-2013 at 10:02 PM..