The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.


Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.


Reply
Thread Tools
Unread 03-20-2013, 01:07 PM   #1
Eggspert
Full Fledged Farker
 
Join Date: 04-25-12
Location: Willmar, MN
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Donating to Local Food Shelf

I would assume many of you who do competitions often have a lot of left overs that you don't use. (raw or cooked meat). I know a lot of you sell left overs, but I checked with my local food shelf and they are more then happy to take either raw meat that is repackaged or cooked meat left overs. I told them I would vacuum seal and freeze it for them. I encourage all of you to check in your communities as well to see if they would be interested. You can write this off on your taxes at the end of the year as a donation, plus can you imagine how happy some needy people will be to get competition quality BBQ!

Eggspert BBQ
Eggspert is offline   Reply With Quote


Thanks from: --->
Unread 03-20-2013, 01:27 PM   #2
musicmanryann
is One Chatty Farker

 
Join Date: 06-11-08
Location: Ames, Iowa
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Yep! Our local shelter loves us, and we maintain space in our deep freeze--its a win-win!
__________________
Big T'z Q Cru Championship BBQ Team
CBJ #50801
6 WSM's
2 Weber Kettles
FEC100
2 Backwoods Fatboy
2 Not-so-Ugly Drum Smokers from Gateway BBQ Store
Jambo -- The Orange Monster
www.bigtzbbq.com
Join our facebook group
musicmanryann is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 03-20-2013, 01:33 PM   #3
Smoke&HoneyBBQ
Knows what a fatty is.
 
Join Date: 02-24-13
Location: Fort Wayne, IN
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Cannot do it here.

Only way it is allowed is if you cooked it on site and pulled permits.
Smoke&HoneyBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 03-20-2013, 01:48 PM   #4
speers90
is one Smokin' Farker

 
speers90's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-28-11
Location: Waconia, MN
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggspert View Post
I would assume many of you who do competitions often have a lot of left overs that you don't use. (raw or cooked meat). I know a lot of you sell left overs, but I checked with my local food shelf and they are more then happy to take either raw meat that is repackaged or cooked meat left overs. I told them I would vacuum seal and freeze it for them. I encourage all of you to check in your communities as well to see if they would be interested. You can write this off on your taxes at the end of the year as a donation, plus can you imagine how happy some needy people will be to get competition quality BBQ!

Eggspert BBQ
Being from Minnesota myself, I am a little surprised that your local food shelf can take repackaged raw meat or cooked leftovers. Last time I checked around here they wouldn't accept either. Maybe I should check again.
__________________
Ryan

Meadow Creek TS250 With 42" Chicken Cooker
Weber 22"
Cajun Fryer FF2
speers90 is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 03-20-2013, 02:31 PM   #5
K-Train
is one Smokin' Farker

 
K-Train's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-22-11
Location: Edgewater, MD
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

This is something we started to do last year. We actually got a few teams to also kick in their extra's. It's pretty rewarding.
__________________
Keith Fat Maxine's BBQ
Thanks to: Firecraft (www.firecraft.com), In House Jewelers, and DArtagnan Foods
Humphrey's Battle Box
WSM 22.5
K-Train is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 03-20-2013, 04:56 PM   #6
Eggspert
Full Fledged Farker
 
Join Date: 04-25-12
Location: Willmar, MN
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by speers90 View Post
Being from Minnesota myself, I am a little surprised that your local food shelf can take repackaged raw meat or cooked leftovers. Last time I checked around here they wouldn't accept either. Maybe I should check again.
It might just be an individual food shelf policy. I did also inform her that we are trained in food safety and follow all rules. You might mention that? If we are at a competition with you, we would be happy to take your left overs, vacuum seal them and donate them here in Willmar. If you are interested.

Eggspert BBQ
Eggspert is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 03-20-2013, 08:08 PM   #7
speers90
is one Smokin' Farker

 
speers90's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-28-11
Location: Waconia, MN
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggspert View Post
It might just be an individual food shelf policy. I did also inform her that we are trained in food safety and follow all rules. You might mention that? If we are at a competition with you, we would be happy to take your left overs, vacuum seal them and donate them here in Willmar. If you are interested.

Eggspert BBQ
I will ask around here again, and if we get no as an answer (again) then I may take you up on your offer.
__________________
Ryan

Meadow Creek TS250 With 42" Chicken Cooker
Weber 22"
Cajun Fryer FF2
speers90 is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 03-20-2013, 08:14 PM   #8
Kave Dweller
Full Fledged Farker
 
Join Date: 06-12-12
Location: Hampshire, IL
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Donating to Local Food Shelf

Here outside of Chicago they won't touch it (which pisses me off), I found a homeless shelter that loves it though!
__________________
"Onyxwoods" clone, a Guru and some of Tennesse's finest whiskey.

Creators of "Reverse Shigging": When your competition wants to know what your doing so they know what doesn't work.
Kave Dweller is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 03-20-2013, 08:22 PM   #9
Ron_L
Moderator

 
Ron_L's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12-09-04
Location: Chicago 'Burbs
Downloads: 1
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kave Dweller View Post
Here outside of Chicago they won't touch it (which pisses me off), I found a homeless shelter that loves it though!
Same by us.
__________________
"Ron Rico, Boss. You can call me Captain Ron..."

Unwrap me!
Smoke me!
Eat me!

The Naked Fatty!

FEC-100/BWS Party/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Nomad Pellet-matic/Good-One Model 42/WSM X 2/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Gasser (RIP)/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/UDS/Coffee Roasting Gasser

Remembering a friend
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote


Unread 03-21-2013, 04:36 AM   #10
CivilWarBBQ
is One Chatty Farker
 
CivilWarBBQ's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-08-07
Location: Cartersville, GA
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Most food banks here in Georgia won't take anything that is shelf stable, but homeless shelters are much less choosey.
CivilWarBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote


Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Loading



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise v2.6.0 Beta 4 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
2003 -2012 © BBQ-Brethren Inc. All rights reserved. All Content and Flaming Pig Logo are registered and protected under U.S and International Copyright and Trademarks. Content Within this Website Is Property of BBQ Brethren Inc. Reproduction or alteration is strictly prohibited.
no new posts