The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness

Notices

Catering, Food Handling and Awareness *OnTopic* Forum to educate us on safe food handling. Not specifically for Catering or competition but overall health and keeping our families safe too.

Unread 03-22-2013, 07:47 AM   #16
redlevel42
Got rid of the matchlight.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoney7269 View Post
So how does this compare to 1800 hrs of nearly full load running over a 8 year period? When ya get to them hrs @ nearly full load lemme know, this brethren is lookin for something proven and dependable. I don't think there is any gasoline generator out there that surpasses the prover performance of the Onans. I got a husky 2250 which is made with the same overseas mentality yours is, and have had great success with it early, after 2 years, nothing but problems, maintainance and repairs. I would honestly love to be corrected on my $.02
If your gonna buy something, buy it for a lifetime, not just a few years. It always catches up to you
Congratulations. You have a generator that meets your needs. I have one that meets mine. I don't need a unit to run 200+ hours per year under continuous load. I need one to run 40-50 hours per year building fence, repairing outbuildings, building deer stands on site, providing very occasional emergency backup, and providing some lighting a couple of times a year. If mine will operate four or five years under those conditions, I will have gotten my money's worth.

It seems that on these types of discussion, Black Max is always scorned as being nearly worthless. I have never been able to understand that. After all, the power unit is genuine Honda. Not a "Chonda" or other Chinese clone.

If I needed a set to run under your conditions, I would probably go with a small diesel. If I needed a stationary genset, I would buy a PTO unit and power it with my 55hp JohnDeere diesel tractor. You know, for a lifetime.
redlevel42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-22-2013, 11:04 AM   #17
jmoney7269
Banned

He would have 70 hrs in 2 weeks in a Moble kitchen on that generator. I was not dogging your generator or anyone else's. The Jap and china machines have small oil reservoirs which in turn the oil breaks down quicker and the machine runs with more heat, oil has to be changed more often, which results in pump cavitation, dry starts, premature wear etc. my little 5500 onan holds almost 4 qts of oil and how many hrs to cars run with the same capacity of oil? I have owned generators from $200 all the way up to this onan and it has far been the best and I'm sure it would fit nice stationary into his mobile kitchen. A tractor PTO generator is silly to bring into the equation for a food trailer.
Also who wants to have a loud vibrating generator around their trailer. I know at comps, loud azzzzz generators suck!! Thankfully promoters have it written into the rules that no overly loud generators are allowed.
jmoney7269 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 03-25-2013, 11:33 AM   #18
cynfulsmokersbbq
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoney7269 View Post
He would have 70 hrs in 2 weeks in a Moble kitchen on that generator. I was not dogging your generator or anyone else's. The Jap and china machines have small oil reservoirs which in turn the oil breaks down quicker and the machine runs with more heat, oil has to be changed more often, which results in pump cavitation, dry starts, premature wear etc. my little 5500 onan holds almost 4 qts of oil and how many hrs to cars run with the same capacity of oil? I have owned generators from $200 all the way up to this onan and it has far been the best and I'm sure it would fit nice stationary into his mobile kitchen. A tractor PTO generator is silly to bring into the equation for a food trailer.
Also who wants to have a loud vibrating generator around their trailer. I know at comps, loud azzzzz generators suck!! Thankfully promoters have it written into the rules that no overly loud generators are allowed.
What is the DB on your 5500 onan?

Thanks to everyone for your responses!
cynfulsmokersbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-25-2013, 11:55 AM   #19
jmoney7269
Banned

I donno the decibel level, But it's on the other side of the Motorhome permanently mounted and you can't hear it inside and barely hear it outside. Even up next to cook teams, they have commented several times how quiet it is. When it's cold, it's a rattlin son of a gun on a cold day till it warms up.
jmoney7269 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-25-2013, 12:22 PM   #20
Pyle's BBQ
Babbling Farker

Have you looked at propane powered generators? Menard's has a Generac 3250 watt for $650. I understand you would need two of these but then you would not have to haul extra fuel around.

Do you have your generator outside your mobile kitchen or is it in a built into the trailer?

Saddles BBQ Bistro

Μολν λαβέ
Pyle's BBQ is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-28-2013, 12:15 PM   #21
cynfulsmokersbbq
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyle's BBQ View Post
Have you looked at propane powered generators? Menard's has a Generac 3250 watt for $650. I understand you would need two of these but then you would not have to haul extra fuel around.

Do you have your generator outside your mobile kitchen or is it in a built into the trailer?
Mine is outside. Is the propane powered quieter?
My worry would be about running out of fuel. I carry two five gallons containers now to events, both vending and comps, but if for some reason we run out, even on a Sunday I can always find a gas station for a refill.

Thanks for the tip.
cynfulsmokersbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-28-2013, 03:56 PM   #22
Johnny_Crunch
Babbling Farker

This is the last generator you will ever need to buy. Commercial grade and proven awesomeness. Go look at local rental yards and see how many are using these.

http://multiquip.com/multiquip/pdfs/..._Version_1.pdf

Unread 04-02-2013, 12:45 PM   #23
luke duke
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny_Crunch View Post
This is the last generator you will ever need to buy. Commercial grade and proven awesomeness. Go look at local rental yards and see how many are using these.

http://multiquip.com/multiquip/pdfs/..._Version_1.pdf

Those are pretty loud.
luke duke is offline   Reply With Quote