MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 03-20-2013, 12:05 PM   #1
stokestackbbq
Knows what a fatty is.

Default How about suggestions for a truck?

Figured I'd start up a new thread for this, as well.

The trailer I'm looking at comes in at just under 4000lbs. The smoker is going to be 2000+. I figure to be safe, I should be looking at a truck that can tow 10000lbs.

I'd like to spend 15K or less on a used truck. However, if anyone can suggest a reliable but old high-mileage truck that I can pick up for under $5k, then I could really operate two vehicles- one for around town, and one for the business. That would be sweet.

I know jack **** about trucks, but from what I'm reading, I need an old Ram 2500 or F-250. Should I be getting into diesel? Any other suggestions?
stokestackbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-28-2013, 09:39 PM   #2
Hakadosh BBQ
Found some matches.

Go big or go home. Play it safe and go with the f-350 series, or 3500 series in any of the GM models. My gator rig weighs in at 4700lbs empty... i've got a Ford Econoline 3500 van....it pulls like a mack truck and has plenty of space for catering stuffs.
3 Weber OTS
3 Converted Proofers / Upright Smokers

"from now on I'll connect the dots my own way" ~ Calvin 'n ' Hobbs
Hakadosh BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:51 PM   #3
RICK Allen
Full Fledged Farker

Go for an older dodge 2500, with a cummins diesel, 97 or earlier will give you huge power and fantastic mileage
Old 03-29-2013, 08:16 AM   #4
Palenshus
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

How long are you planning on keeping your trailer and smoker? If a business, then you (your accountant) might want to amortize (write off) some costs each year as it depreciates. That being said, a new rig (2012 not the 2013 models) will save you some sticker shock...I know you said used, and those above are great suggestions. My trailer/smoker come in 3450Lbs unloaded...so figuring 5,000Lbs loaded, you want something that isn't straining. And some day when you aren't hauling the trailer, a travel trailer may be in your future...per the wife. So - all that being considered, I just went for a 2012 Ford F-350 Diesel King Ranch..getting around 16mpg. It solves the immediate catering event jobs, and has the down-range capability for either a travel trailer, boat, or whatever else, with a 21,000 Lb towing capacity.
Palenshus is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 03-31-2013, 07:48 PM   #5
OL' Timer
On the road to being a farker

My BBQ business is an 18' trailer weighing 6500# with a Lang 84 deluxe weighing in at 1780 # and I tow them with a 99 dodge 3500 4x4 with new Cummings turbo diesel just installed and get 18.5 mpg towing both or 20.2 towing just the trailer. Diesel is the way to go, Cummings engines get the best mileage towing.
Old 04-03-2013, 11:45 AM   #6
sdmadsen
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

That is true, but to get a Cummins you do have to buy a Dodge.
sdmadsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 02:13 PM   #7
stokestackbbq
Knows what a fatty is.

I didn't really consider the dodge 2500's as they didn't appear to get good mileage, but I wasn't looking at the pre-01 diesels. It looks like chev 2500HD diesels can get near 20mpg on the highway- but I'm gonna start looking at those dodges.

Thanks for all the tips!
stokestackbbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 03:21 PM   #8
Resesgrill
Knows what a fatty is.

could anyone tell me if a s10 chevy could pull a 6x10 trailer ok?
Resesgrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 04:03 PM   #9
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Name/Nickname : Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by stokestackbbq View Post
I didn't really consider the dodge 2500's as they didn't appear to get good mileage, but I wasn't looking at the pre-01 diesels. It looks like chev 2500HD diesels can get near 20mpg on the highway- but I'm gonna start looking at those dodges.

Thanks for all the tips!
My 05 Ram 2500 with the 5.9L gets an honest 20-22 mpg day in and day out--I have a "light foot" though.
Pulling "Sherman" at 5500 lbs with a large flat front (parachute ), I get 15-16ish at 65mph on the flat AL-FL-GA roads.

TIM
Just sold Yoder YS640 due health
New Ninja Woodfired Grill for Christmas 2023
The_Kapn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 06:35 PM   #10
Triple T BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

You also want to keeping mind that you are going to deduct your fuel cost as part of your business expense. Insurance wise you may find out that you are going to have to,list your truck on the business insurance. Ie no taking the boat to the lake with the truck that you use for the business. Most will not over it for personal use.

We have 2000 f-350 crew cab with a 7.3 diesel. Pulls 15-17k without much notice. It's chipped and has an aftermarket intake and exhaust too. Still pulls down 18-22mpg unloaded.

I recommend you look at manual transmission models in the early dodges or make sure someone has had the automatic overhauled before buying them. The autos in the early dodges are rather well known for issues. Always wished we could have bought what you could buy in South America from ford. A ford f350-f450 with a 5.9 Cummings.

Also avoid the 6.0L f350s that have not had the egr bypass done. They are bad about the egr coolant system leaking and causing head gasket issues. For all f350's, order the late model spare crank sensor and IPC sensor. Keep both in your glove box. Each will fail at odd times.
Old 04-17-2013, 06:58 PM   #11
Jeff Therrell
Knows what a fatty is.

Y'all older Dodge owners are making me sick, I bought a new one with the big engine and it will pull the world aroung backward but it will not pass a deisel pump 14 mpg by its'self and 9 pulling my 24' 9000lb. BBQ trailer.
Thanks, Jeff Therrell
Sweetfire BBQ Lincolnton NC
Jeff Therrell is offline   Reply With Quote