MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-18-2013, 05:01 PM   #1
Bigbux58
Knows what a fatty is.

Default UDS Back from the sandblaster....

Hello all, newb to the max here. Just got the uds back from the sandblaster. And I was wondering.... Do I need to prime it? I plan on using high temp paint or engine paint... Thanks in advance..
Bigbux58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-18-2013, 05:04 PM   #2
Outnumbered
is Blowin Smoke!

I would prime it.

When I die, my goal is to have a visible smoke ring when the coroner cuts me open for the autopsy.
Outnumbered is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-18-2013, 05:14 PM   #3
Garrett
Babbling Farker

Default UDS Back from the sandblaster....

You don't have to prime it, but it will make the paint stick and last longer. Just be sure the primer is high temp too.

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-18-2013, 06:41 PM   #4
Bigbux58
Knows what a fatty is.

Thank a lot... Looks like ill be priming and painting this weekend...

Old 03-18-2013, 08:12 PM   #5
Chief_USN
Knows what a fatty is.

Not sure how well it works as I'm in the process of building my UDS. But I just primed my Weber lid with the VHT Flame Proof primer from AutoZone. I scuffed the lid with my angle grinder and a wire wheel. I tried a bunch of stuff to try and get the porcelain coating off and it wouldn't budge. We'll see what happens. Painting will only be as good as your prep work. Here is a pic of it all primed.

Chad

Old 03-18-2013, 08:56 PM   #6
Bigbux58
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief_USN View Post
Not sure how well it works as I'm in the process of building my UDS. But I just primed my Weber lid with the VHT Flame Proof primer from AutoZone. I scuffed the lid with my angle grinder and a wire wheel. I tried a bunch of stuff to try and get the porcelain coating off and it wouldn't budge. We'll see what happens. Painting will only be as good as your prep work. Here is a pic of it all primed.

Chad
Did you use a spray primer?

Old 03-18-2013, 10:09 PM   #7
Chief_USN
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbux58 View Post
Did you use a spray primer?
Normally I would have used an HVLP gun but trying to keep this build on a budget and the VHT was readily available in a spray can. A little trick I learned from painting with spray paint in cooler temps is to heat up the can on one of those cheap coffee cup warmers. Warm paint atomizes better thus, covering more evenly with less splatter.

http://www.vhtpaint.com/products/flameproof/

Of course after reading the product page above, I'm not sure how well it's going to hold up. I might try and figure out away to heat it up tomorrow.

Chad