The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 03-20-2013, 01:26 PM   #1
chriscw81
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 4
Uploads: 0
Default Weber UDS lid dripping on to barrel

So I'm finishing up my UDS, it's an open top and the original lid works great. I wanna modify a spare kettle lid so that it fits on the drum and still be able to use the original drum lid. The Weber lid is just a little too small and I'm planning on bending the lid out a little to make it fit and still be able to use my original drum lid. This leads me to my question.

Has anyone figured out how to prevent the dripping on the side of the barrel? I'm sure the moisture and grease will drip down from inside of the lid. Sorry if the answer to this is in the redonkulously large UDS thread, I've looked but can't find a fix. If anyone has found a solution pics would be awesome.

Chris

Sent from my Nexus using Tapatalk 2

[B][SIZE=1][COLOR=black]UDS | [COLOR=blue]Blue[/COLOR] Weber Performer Platinum | Chargriller Akorn | 22.5 Weber OTG | WSJ Gold | Mini WSM | Maverick ET-73 | [COLOR=blue]Blue [/COLOR][COLOR=black]Thermapen | Maverick PT-100 |[/COLOR] Gasser(charcoal chimney starter)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]
chriscw81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-20-2013, 01:41 PM   #2
smokainmuskoka
is one Smokin' Farker

Downloads: 0

Drum smokers that drip and the men who love them - BBQ Brethren!

Sorry no advice, just a wisecrack. I think you are stuck with wiping occasionally with a damp cloth.

I have an UDS with a weber lid. I bolted a piece of 2" aluminum strapping around the inside. It protrudes about a 1/4" and the weber lid sits better without having to bend the edges out and crack the enamel.

Thanks from:--->
Unread 03-20-2013, 02:19 PM   #3
HeSmellsLikeSmoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

Based on Brother Swamprb's idea, I used about 2"-3" of the kettle bottom cut off and seated into the open top of the open drum. I came up with the idea of using Rutland stove gaskets from Ace Hardware to seal between the cut kettle bottom and the top of the drum.

Since the kettle lid fits perfectly onto its bottom, I have had no drips onto the outside of the drum since I built it three years ago.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Unread 03-20-2013, 02:29 PM   #4
chriscw81
is One Chatty Farker

Default Re: Weber UDS lid dripping on to barrel

Thanks for the ideas guys, those would work great if I never wanted to use the original drum lid again.

Chris

[B][SIZE=1][COLOR=black]UDS | [COLOR=blue]Blue[/COLOR] Weber Performer Platinum | Chargriller Akorn | 22.5 Weber OTG | WSJ Gold | Mini WSM | Maverick ET-73 | [COLOR=blue]Blue [/COLOR][COLOR=black]Thermapen | Maverick PT-100 |[/COLOR] Gasser(charcoal chimney starter)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Unread 03-20-2013, 02:33 PM   #5
jcm2m9
Got Wood.

I welded the weber lid to the lid of the drum and then cut out the middle. Mine has never dripped down the side of the barrel.

jcm2m9 is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Unread 03-20-2013, 02:34 PM   #6
HeSmellsLikeSmoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscw81 View Post
Thanks for the ideas guys, those would work great if I never wanted to use the original drum lid again.

Chris

With my solution, all you have to do is take out the kettle bottom which is not physically attached to the drum, and use the original drum lid anytime you want.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Unread 03-20-2013, 05:12 PM   #7
chriscw81
is One Chatty Farker

Default Re: Weber UDS lid dripping on to barrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeSmellsLikeSmoke View Post
With my solution, all you have to do is take out the kettle bottom which is not physically attached to the drum, and use the original drum lid anytime you want.
Oh I see what you mean now! Thanks!

Unread 03-20-2013, 05:36 PM   #8
kwas68
Full Fledged Farker

I did the same thing as HeSmellsLikeSmoke only I caulked around the gaps just be sure. I get drips on the side of my barrel. My guess is that the grease seeps through his gasket into his barrel and rolls over my caulk onto the outside of mine.

I like the JCM idea!

Unread 03-20-2013, 05:42 PM   #9
sdbbq1234
is one Smokin' Farker

Downloads: 1

I found a BBQ Pro grill that the lid fits perfect on my UDS.

Th grill model number is: Sears item number: 16314; K-Mart item number: 680-02701244-2.

In the manual, it has the part number for the lid. It is: 200423N. The handle part number is: 220018N; the lid bracket is: 220002N; Lid vent assembly is: 220102N.

The is no part number for the "hardware pack" that has all the screws, washers (plastic and fiber washers).

I could not find the grill part number 16314 on Sears web site, but I'll bet you dimes to dollars that any of the BBQ PRO 22.5" grill lids will work.

wallace
- A bunch on other outdoor cooking stuff.
- KCBS CBJ# 58657
- MABA Member

"Take luck!"
sdbbq1234 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-20-2013, 06:25 PM   #10
Zin
is one Smokin' Farker

Take a OTS weber grill, take the ots lid and cut out the center 1" from the lip, take the lip and silicone it to the top of the drum with high heat silicone, now take the kettle bowl and sit on the lip and let silicone cure overnight. The kettle bowl is now your lid, plenty of overhead room. All the dripping will drip inside instead of outside of the drum. Dripping on the fire is what gives meat its great flavor.
Zin is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-20-2013, 07:30 PM   #11
kwas68
Full Fledged Farker

Dang! I posted a link a week or two about this subject and got some help but I'm thoroughly impressed with the Weber and drum lid mash-up idea. That'll git-r-done!

Unread 03-20-2013, 07:53 PM   #12
martyleach
Babbling Farker

I just make sure I paint the drums black and don't worry too much about the grease...
MAK One Star Pellet Grill, Smokey Joe Gold, Jumbo Joe Gold, Custom wooden handles for BBQ's made by Marty Leach (oh, that's me)

www.amlwoodart.com
martyleach is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-20-2013, 07:59 PM   #13
jmoney7269
Banned

Starts off like this

You know your doin something right when it looks like this

I find it funny that whenever I'm done the lid is welded to the drum and will not come off without major force which eleminates the transport issue of the lid blowing off. Never has and don't expect it ever will. I hit it with the weed burner for about 5 seconds and it comes right off. My $.02 but I definitely feel for the crowd that wants their BBQ pit clean
jmoney7269 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-20-2013, 08:22 PM   #14
HeSmellsLikeSmoke

Here's mine after three years. I agree with Kwas68 that any drips must seep down thru the gaskets 'cause its still shiny.

Unread 03-20-2013, 08:41 PM   #15
kwas68
Full Fledged Farker

That's a beauty Jim!