MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-16-2013, 11:01 PM   #1
GrillsGoneWild
is one Smokin' Farker

Default I guess I need to check the briskets out better at RD next time

I needed to cook up a couple of briskets and pork butts this weekend, so I dropped inn Restaurant Depot over lunch time on Friday. I was in a hurry and was only looking at the size of the packers since I've never had a problem with them trimmed out before. Well, I cut open the package tonight to inject it and it looks like RD had hired Ray Charles to butcher for them. The fat cap stopped on only the flat and didn't cover the whole flat. As you can see by the pic below the fat cap isn't even there on the right side. That's not the side of the brisket, its the bottom where the fat cap should be. This was on a 10 pounder and there was thick hard fat on both sides of the point that needed to be trimmed. The 15 pounder I also picked up had some butcher problems to it, but at least the fat cap was all the way across the flat. I guess I'll be wrapping early on the smaller one so it doesn't get dried out. Especially since I'm going to kick up the heat a little more than I normally do (275 versus 225). In my DPP Fat 50 the temp is very even so I usually go fat cap up so I don't need it there to block heat, I just like having that melt down into the meat. Well see how it goes tomorrow.

Thanks from:--->

Old 03-16-2013, 11:24 PM   #2
Kave Dweller
Take a breath!

Default I guess I need to check the briskets out better at RD next time

I've had me look like that before, but it's after I touch em with a knife not before...

Creators of "Reverse Shigging": When your competition wants to know what your doing so they know what doesn't work.
Kave Dweller is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-16-2013, 11:46 PM   #3
garzanium
Full Fledged Farker

Default Re: I guess I need to check the briskets out better at RD next time

Man, looks like the butcher removed it by hand. Sucks, but thanks for posting. Well be sure to be careful in selection going forward

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Old 03-17-2013, 12:13 AM   #4
Q-Dat
Babbling Farker

Lemme guess....Superior Angus Brand?

Same thing at RD here.
Q-Dat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-17-2013, 05:51 AM   #5
Pappy Q
is One Chatty Farker

I had the same issue a couple of weeks ago at RD, bought 5 to cook for a party and only 1 was trimmed properly. That combined with the 2 time skunk ribs I got from them has put an end to my RD meat purchases.
Pappy Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-17-2013, 01:39 PM   #6
GrillsGoneWild
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-Dat View Post
Lemme guess....Superior Angus Brand?

Same thing at RD here.
Yep....

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Old 03-17-2013, 01:41 PM   #7
GrillsGoneWild
is one Smokin' Farker

Here they are 3 1/2 hrs into the smoke. Looking good. Going to wrap in butcher paper as soon as the bark gets to where I like.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Old 03-17-2013, 01:44 PM   #8
colonel00
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Out of curiosity, was this something that you couldn't see in the packaging for some reason or did you just not look? I usually get briskets at Sam's but have gotten a couple from RD and never noticed anything like this. Thanks for the heads up anyway.
[B][COLOR=red]WWWWFBBQADD[/COLOR][/B]
[B]0 out of 1 members found this post helpful[/B] :thumb:

“I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.” ― Ralph Waldo Emerson
colonel00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-17-2013, 01:55 PM   #9
93vpmod
is Blowin Smoke!

Ray Charles walked by and said, "Summthin smells good." Looks good too.
93vpmod is offline   Reply With Quote