The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 03-25-2013, 01:49 PM   #1
umyaya
Knows what a fatty is.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Question Vegetarian Ideas (Low protein & sodium)?

I have a friend that has to eat a specific diet due to issues with her kidney (Low protein and low sodium). She loves BBQ so this is killing her. Anyway, I was hoping to find some recipes to help mitigate her suffering. Any appetizer, entree, or side dish ideas?

I only eat meat so I have no idea where to start.

Thanks.
umyaya is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-25-2013, 02:57 PM   #2
Pyle's BBQ
Babbling Farker

What is her protein threshold? How much can she eat and not be uncomfortable or get sick?

This is not smoked, but I like doing grilled vegetables. I really like grilling asparagus. Other options are onions, zucchini, and eggplant. I spray with a little oil and use something like Mrs. Dash seasoning.

Saddles BBQ Bistro

Μολν λαβέ
Pyle's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-25-2013, 03:57 PM   #3
caliking
is One Chatty Farker

Look into making your own rub so you can know exactly how much sodium is in it and make it a low sodium rub. If you search on the forum, you are bound to find some rub recipes.
EZ wood handled 3 wheeler | OTS | OTS mod to OTG | Ladybug SS Performer | UglyDrumTandoor | UDS v1 | midi UDS with red nipples | SJG smoker mod | Simpsons SJS | Simpsons OTG | WGA charcoal | SJP | Stacked brick WFO | Lodge Logic Sportsman's Grill cast iron hibachi/sigri | LBGE | sbge | mini bge
caliking is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-25-2013, 04:26 PM   #4
dadsr4
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 1

Steven Raichlen had some in his book "Barbeque Bible". Google came up with these links.
https://www.google.com/search?q=The+...w=1366&bih=638

Unread 03-25-2013, 04:55 PM   #5
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

Ooo, I know this. Okay, she has to be very careful with both meat and vegetable proteins. Sodium is a huge problem. First off...

For rubs in this condition, there is no better product than the Sodium-free products from Mrs. Dash. They cook up great, and actually taste great as well. I am very fond of the Original, Lemon Pepper, Table blend (finer grind) and Steak Grilling. These really complement vegetables quite well.

In terms of vegetables, I like to work with squashes, mushrooms, sweet potatoes and potatoes to add body to dishes. You can use these either as bases for plating, or as binders, meaning no eggs or milk. They work great for that purpose. I like to use leafy greens for bulk, chard, kale or cabbage all work great. Celery in small amounts can be a real friend, as it adds a small amount of salt taste without being too strong.

Topping with a flavorful salsa or sauce, this is where you can punch up flavors and brighten a dish, one of the issues with a kidney friendly diet, is that it become muddy and mushy. So, how to pull it all together...I might try something like this.

Base Cook:
take a large sweet potato, roast on cooker until 90% done, remove, Slice three or four thick ovals, coat with a little olive oil, then liberally coat with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, lightly dust with Turbinado sugar, return and grill to caramelize surface.

Vegetable Cook:
1. Take 3 or 4 dried shiitake or equivalent dried mushroom, soak for 15 minutes in warm water, filter water, take mushrooms and simmer in 1/2 cup white wine and soaking water. Slice and set aside.

2. Grill up some zucchini, some yellow squash, some carrots, slice into shreds. Place in a pan with some Swiss Chard (cast iron works great here) and the sliced mushrooms. Let cook for 15 minutes. Add back in the mushroom reinforced wine and adjust/season with vinegar and Mrs. Dash Table Blend.

3. Top the sweet tater slices with the vegetables, top with a quick salsa, no salt of course, it could even be a fruit salsa (mangoes, oranges, apples etc...) a dash of fresh herbs. This would be so light in terms of protein, you could even sneak in a little sour cream on top.

Whip It Off, Chambers!

"perhaps...but then again...maybe not..."
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 03-25-2013, 04:59 PM   #6
landarc

Incidentally, I learned a great deal about vegetarian cuisine and what can actually be done with it from these resources.

Cookbooks to be use with the Ornish Diet
The Greens Cookbook
The Moosewood Cookbook, in fact, anything by Mollie Katzen, her writing, recipe design, and teaching always impresses. She might be the best Vegetarian cooking teacher alive.

Whip It Off, Chambers!

Unread 03-25-2013, 05:00 PM   #7
jacksedona
Take a breath!

she needs to find out exactly what amount of protein she cn eat from her kidney doctor. that way you will be able to give her the correct serving of protein. if she cant eat bbq meat,there is a vegetarian bbq ribs in the frozen food section that is made from soy and it is very good . i have eaten it. i like to sautee cut mushrooms in olive oil and add onions and goat cheese which tastes great as a side dish or main meal. hope this helps.

http://thebarbecuemaster.net

Unread 03-25-2013, 05:07 PM   #8
landarc

I have been directed by my nephrologist to avoid all sources of soy and bean proteins. That the smaller proteins from vegetable sources do more damage to the kidney than meat proteins. It is nearly impossible to avoid soy in our modern diets, unless you eat from whole foods.

This might seem easy for most, but, I love tofu. I am allowed 3 ounces a week maximum by my current doctors.

Whip It Off, Chambers!

Unread 03-25-2013, 05:51 PM   #9
landarc

One of the things I have often felt was missing from vegetarian grilling was that BBQ flavor. And I realize smoke and salt is pretty much that flavor, but, there is another way.

1. Smoke a small yellow onion, a small brown potato, skin off, both should be cut in half and oiled. Go ahead and do a head of garlic if you want. This will add sweetness and body to the eventual sauce.

2. Get a can of low-salt tomatoes (I use Muir Glen, but, S&W works also), whir up in a food processor or food mill and reduce in a sauce pan by 1/2. Return to food processor of blender, add in smoked onion, garlic and potato (they should be very cooked, very soft). Blend to create a thick paste. Now, add some vinegar, go light and remember to taste to see if sweet and acid balance.

3. Return to pan, heat and add Mrs. Dash Steak Grilling or table blend until it tastes decent. The Steak Grilling might benefit from a run through a pepper grinder. A little Balsamic vinegar really adds a nice taste. You can riff on this, but, it will give a nice BBQ flavor to vegetables on the grill.

Whip It Off, Chambers!

Unread 03-25-2013, 06:02 PM   #10
maxwell7
Full Fledged Farker

I'm going to check out some of this stuff Landarc. My son and his wife have just recently told me they are now Vegan's. I cannot even imagine it!
maxwell7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-25-2013, 06:09 PM   #11
landarc

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwell7 View Post
I'm going to check out some of this stuff Landarc. My son and his wife have just recently told me they are now Vegan's. I cannot even imagine it!
haha

bwahhaaaaa

BWAHAAAHAAAA HAAAHAAAAAA

ok, that was unkind, but, I can imagine how that whole process started off...

If they do not have the health restrictions of someone with kidney disease, the options are quite amazing. With the addition of salt and soy, you can do some pretty amazing things. Will they be honest Vegans, and reject all animal like products, or are they gonna be weak, and eat Vegan chikin and Vegan cheese?

Whip It Off, Chambers!

Unread 03-25-2013, 06:20 PM   #12
jonboy
is One Chatty Farker

Grilled vegs are the best.
Portebello mushrooms, asparagus, onions, garlic, squash,green beans,brussel sprouts,romaine are all good. A little olive oil is all it takes.
Fruits we like grilled are peaches, pineapple, apples.
jon
jonboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-25-2013, 06:38 PM   #13
landarc

Oh, BYW, if you are wondering about a good substitute for Worcestershire Sauce that is Vegan/Paleo consistent, then look to coconut amino acids. No proteins, and I believe around 5mgs of sodium per teaspoon. Quite good, and avoids all soy or animal products.

Whip It Off, Chambers!

Unread 03-25-2013, 07:29 PM   #14
buccaneer
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Great posts Bob!
Thanks!

Unread 03-25-2013, 10:10 PM   #15
umyaya
Knows what a fatty is.

Please keep the ideas coming, but I wanted to thank everyone for taking the time to share their recommendations.
umyaya is offline   Reply With Quote