The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 03-16-2013, 05:49 AM   #1
fnbish
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Found a Darn Good Inexpensive Thermapen Alternative

I was at Restaurant Depot this week for meat and stopped when I saw some of the thermometers. I've been thinking about getting a 2nd thermapen to keep at home and one for competitions. I just didn't want to spend the $ right now.

I saw one for $27 that said it read in <6 seconds. I wish I had kept the packaging to show you all, but here are the pictures of it. Keep in mind I've only used it a few times, but damn if it isn't fast. I did a boiling test side by side with my thermapen. Thermapen took about 4 seconds each time to register steady. The new yellow one took 5-6 seconds. It goes into meat with the same feel.

Also what seems like a good feature it that the packaging saw it is completely waterproof. Not resistant, but waterproof and also NSF. I wish it folded like the thermapen, but can't have everything for this price .

So if anyone is looking for a pretty good alternative and have a RD near them check it out.

Backwoods G2 Party & G2 Chubby
Big Green Egg XL
Weber 18.5 Kettle
"Tenacious Q" Competition Team
Follow Tenacious Q on Facebook!!
KCBS CBJ
fnbish is online now   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from: --->
Unread 03-16-2013, 07:23 AM   #2
Hell Fire Grill
Full Fledged Farker

I, and several others, have the Thermoworks RT600c that I use for a backup to my thermapen.

http://www.thermoworks.com/products/...st/rt600c.html
Hell Fire Grill is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-16-2013, 07:31 AM   #3
charrederhead
is One Chatty Farker

I'm a proud owner of a Thermoworks RT600c! (white is fastest)