The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.


Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.


Reply
Thread Tools
Unread 03-11-2013, 12:46 PM   #31
Bludawg
Quintessential Chatty Farker
 
Bludawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-04-09
Location: Jonesboro,Tx
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
so when you wrap how often do you check the temp of the flat to know when its fully done? or are you all for times not temps?
I never temp my meat I cook to feel once I wrap I check it for probe tender after 1.5 hrs or 5.5 hrs from the start of the cook. Now this only works if your cooking at 300 deg if you cooking at a lower temp then you would have to wait longer. At 300 I average 45 min lb if your cooking at 250 it's closer to 1.5 hrs a Lb. Start to Finish. So you can see why I am saying this is based on a pit grate temp of 300 deg.

BBQ RULES FOR SUCCESS


YOU CAN NOT COOK GREAT BBQ ON A CONSISTENT BASIS BY COOKING TO AN INTERNAL TEMPERATURE OR BY TIME ( XXX MIN PER LB) YOU MUST COOK BY FEEL! For Brisket it must pass the poke test(probe like soft butter) Ribs pass the Bend Test, Pork Butts when the bone wiggles loose. These are the only reliable methods to ensure that your cook will be a success. There is one exception to these rules and that is Poultry which must achieve and internal temp of 170 deg in the thickest part of the thigh and 160 in the breast.
__________________
I never met a Cow that I didn't like with a little Salt & Pepper! Certified PORK-A-HOLIC
Bludawg is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 03-11-2013, 01:07 PM   #32
thegizzard
On the road to being a farker
 
Join Date: 07-25-12
Location: Charlotte, NC
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Re: First smoked brisket

I take it this us due to the different composure of every piece of meat... Correct?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2
__________________
Chargriller Akorn. Golden Lion PID.
thegizzard is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 03-11-2013, 01:18 PM   #33
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker
 
Pitmaster T's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-03-11
Location: Dickinson, Texas
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegizzard View Post
I take it this us due to the different composure of every piece of meat... Correct?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2


yes.... which is why u should totally ignore people who claim briskets are probe tender ANY OTHER TEMP RANGE than 170 to 210. That's a 40 degree range. yes thats right...when i did probe.... i had some babies done at 170.


it done when its done....period.... throw ur therms away.
Pitmaster T is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 03-11-2013, 01:34 PM   #34
Andrew
On the road to being a farker
 
Andrew's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-20-13
Location: South of Dallas
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludawg View Post
I never temp my meat I cook to feel once I wrap I check it for probe tender after 1.5 hrs or 5.5 hrs from the start of the cook. Now this only works if your cooking at 300 deg if you cooking at a lower temp then you would have to wait longer. At 300 I average 45 min lb if your cooking at 250 it's closer to 1.5 hrs a Lb. Start to Finish. So you can see why I am saying this is based on a pit grate temp of 300 deg.

BBQ RULES FOR SUCCESS


YOU CAN NOT COOK GREAT BBQ ON A CONSISTENT BASIS BY COOKING TO AN INTERNAL TEMPERATURE OR BY TIME ( XXX MIN PER LB) YOU MUST COOK BY FEEL! For Brisket it must pass the poke test(probe like soft butter) Ribs pass the Bend Test, Pork Butts when the bone wiggles loose. These are the only reliable methods to ensure that your cook will be a success. There is one exception to these rules and that is Poultry which must achieve and internal temp of 170 deg in the thickest part of the thigh and 160 in the breast.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitmaster T View Post
yes.... which is why u should totally ignore people who claim briskets are probe tender ANY OTHER TEMP RANGE than 170 to 210. That's a 40 degree range. yes thats right...when i did probe.... i had some babies done at 170.


it done when its done....period.... throw ur therms away.
'
thanks guys, this is a complete game changer!
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 03-11-2013, 02:23 PM   #35
daninnewjersey
is One Chatty Farker

 
Join Date: 01-01-11
Location: Southern NJ
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
now i want to take off of work and do it again LOL
You have the sickness....
__________________
Proud owner of 4 VERY ugly drum smokers....and a soon to be created Greasy Hill reverse flow....
daninnewjersey is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 03-11-2013, 02:50 PM   #36
Andrew
On the road to being a farker
 
Andrew's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-20-13
Location: South of Dallas
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by daninnewjersey View Post
You have the sickness....

i doooooooooooo
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote


Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Loading



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:15 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise v2.6.0 Beta 4 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
2003 -2012 © BBQ-Brethren Inc. All rights reserved. All Content and Flaming Pig Logo are registered and protected under U.S and International Copyright and Trademarks. Content Within this Website Is Property of BBQ Brethren Inc. Reproduction or alteration is strictly prohibited.
no new posts