oink
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners(temp offline)
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk > BBQ Brethren Throwdowns

Notices

BBQ Brethren Throwdowns Join us in the backyard for a fun weekly contest and show off your BBQ creations! New categories are posted each week. Winners earn bragging rights, a Throwdown Certificate, and the chance to choose the next week's category. Fun people only please! If you take this too seriously you will have to leave the party until you are fun again.

Old 03-31-2013, 05:26 AM   #76
beercuer
Full Fledged Farker

Wow! Wonderful entries Caseydog, Vpmod, and Gnaws! Talk about a wild block party we got going on here!

Last edited by beercuer; 03-31-2013 at 06:34 AM..
beercuer is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 03-31-2013, 12:33 PM   #77
CharredApron
Babbling Farker

save the aorta thats the next TD. Great Job!

"Tushka" The Black Warrior 24 x 50 offset by TuscaloosaQ, "Libby the Lion" L5000 gasser, and "Vanessa" my Vision Kamado Pro III & "Ruprecht" my Weber Gold OTG, Omar the WGA, and Sophia my WFO
Member KCBS, FBA, CBJ, and Founder French Bbq Association www.kcbs.fr
CharredApron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 01:07 PM   #78
beercuer
Full Fledged Farker

Default Behemoth BLT Sammich

Here is my official entry for the "Big Farking Sammich" Throwdown, Please

It is also posted in Q Talk here: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=157556

I call this one my "Behemoth BLT." It is a classic bacon-lettuce-tomato, but like on steroids. You'll see as we build this thing. I must say from the getgo it was the most delicious and enjoyable sammich I have ever made. Here is a shot of the ingredients (minus the grilled chicken). Those are extra grande sized tortillas by the way.

Let's head out to the pit now and get the chicken goin'. You can see that I added a hunk of lump to give the bird a subtle but distinct mesquite nuance.

A better examination of the grilled bird...

And now pulled, ready for use in the sammich...

Now we need the bacon. (Mmmmm... bacon!) And a whole pound of it. I hot smoked it via side firebox with hickory for the smoke. Oh hold me back!

Plated...

Now it is time to create. Notice I overlayed two of those extra grande sized tortillas (only for with which to begin!). So, on goes the bacon, on goes the pulled chicken.

What say you we top that with a little shredded Romaine lettuce and Crema Mexicana (sour cream)?

And how about some sliced cherry tomatoes and black olives?

There. No, not quite... what about some alfalfa sprouts (mostly got buried), guacamole, queso fresco cheese, and crumbled chicharrones? I agree. Let's get 'em on there!

Oh dear..., you can see from the above pic I let it get away from me. No way I was gonna wrap this monster with a mere two huge tortillas. So I underlaid yet two more to form a + sign confiuration. Only then could I contain all the ingredients. And so here we go friends, one behemoth BLT sammich with a side order of chile limon chicharrones. Wish I could upload it right to your dinner plate (assuming the plate was big enough!).
Please use this last plated pic as my specific entry

Old 03-31-2013, 06:05 PM   #79
Gnaws on Pigs
is one Smokin' Farker

Oh my, that looks good!

Slow-to-average-speed [COLOR=dimgray]GRAY[/COLOR] Wal-Mart thermometer

Just a hungry hillbilly lookin for a dead critter to cook

Four [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/group.php?groupid=39"]Zeros[/URL] in one [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"][COLOR=red]throwdown[/COLOR][/URL][COLOR=red],[/COLOR] baby! :bow:
Gnaws on Pigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 08:11 PM   #80
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts

Am I too late?

My wife once told me a story of taking a train ride to Belgrade many decades ago. She was sharing a cabin with others, including a soldier and they all decided to swap sandwiches. The soldier had a porkchop sandwich that consisted of two slices of bread with a porkchop in between. Yes, it still had the bone. For some reason that always sounded like a great idea. Anyway, this seemed like the perfect opportunity to make a Big Farkin' Porkchop Sandwich. I began with one of those cute little pork crown roasts that you get in Costco. I seasoned this up with some of Bigabyte's Foilhat Rub and parsley:

Note that I removed the membrane first. I had the Oval coasting at 275* with a single diffuser plate -- one grate high and the other low. I tossed it on the indirect-high side:

I let this go until IT 140-145*. it took almost two hours.

I removed the roast and let it sit for about 15 minutes and opened the vent. I then seared it everywhere:

It's nice have one grate high so you can use it as a brace:

I then took it off and made a porkchop sammie:

I'd definitely recommend using a small bun like this one or you can get too filled up on the bread.
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 08:14 PM   #81
colonel00
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Epic

[B][COLOR=red]WWWWFBBQADD[/COLOR][/B]
[B]0 out of 1 members found this post helpful[/B] :thumb:

“I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.” ― Ralph Waldo Emerson
colonel00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 08:17 PM   #82
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel00 View Post
Epic

Yeah, I guess you have to use your imagination with that one. If you squint your eyes, there really is a porkchop there. I can't believe you suggested a video TD instead of an "out-of-focus" TD.

Old 03-31-2013, 08:48 PM   #83
Moose
somebody shut me the fark up.

Wow, Gore, that's an amazing looking bone in pork roast..I mean big farking sammich!

And you used lots of parsley, too. Moose likes parsley!
Big Red UDS/Small BGE/Blackstone Pizza Oven/Pit Barrel Cooker/Vision Kamado/Purebred American Rat Terrier Whisperer
Check out my blog:
www.mooseonfire.com

Moose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:28 PM   #84
code3rrt
Babbling Farker

A one eyed pork chop sammie.......not sure I can eat something that is lookin' at me, lol.

KC
Old 03-31-2013, 10:53 PM   #85
CharredApron
Babbling Farker

Totally, underwhelmed. Once again the bread makes the sandwich. I nearly puked laughing when I saw the bun pic. Nice Olive periscope though!

"Tushka" The Black Warrior 24 x 50 offset by TuscaloosaQ, "Libby the Lion" L5000 gasser, and "Vanessa" my Vision Kamado Pro III & "Ruprecht" my Weber Gold OTG, Omar the WGA, and Sophia my WFO
Old 03-31-2013, 11:02 PM   #86
Gore
Phizzy

Can't believe I only used one olive. What was I thinking?

Thanks from: --->
Old 04-01-2013, 01:22 AM   #87
Moose

Default This is My Last Minute Entry In The Big Farking Sammich TD

Easter ham has always been a tradition on both sides of our family.

I have fond memories of my Dad discretely slicing off thin slivers of ham with lightning precision and feeding them to me as a young lad before he would actually begin ham deconstruction and serving our hungry guests.

The next day, he would continue to work his magic with his knife and helped make me the best ham sandwiches I've ever eaten.

This year, we decided to continue this tradition in full.

We started out with a fine specimen:

Fired up the WSM minion style, with some pecan chunks, and brought the WSM up to 275 degrees:

A couple hours later, The Missus whipped up a proprietary blend of pineapple, clove, cinnamon, brown sugar, and other cool stuff to make a delicious glaze of goodness to coat the ham with.

For the last 30 mins of the cook, I brushed the savory concoction generously on all surfaces of the ham:

Really looking good now:

After about 2.5 hours cooking, the internal temp of the ham was reading close to 110 degrees closest to the bone, so it was time to pull it off the smoker.

After letting the ham rest quietly under a tent of foil for about 30 mins, this is what it looked like:

At this point, I tasked The Missus with ham deconstruction. As a former professional chef, The Missus makes short order of the entire ham in no time:

At this point, she pulls out the electric slicer, and gets to work:

Since the pile of fresh juicy ham kept rapidly getting larger and larger, the only solution I could possibly imagine from preventing a serious and dangerous hamslide was to build a GIANT Ham Sammich!

We just so happened to have some fresh baked deli rye bread that was only a few hours old on hand. Along with that, we added some mayo, mustard, lettuce and tomato, and cheddar cheese:

After cutting the sammich in half:

Please use THIS as my entry photo:

It was everything I had hoped for, and more!
Big Red UDS/Small BGE/Blackstone Pizza Oven/Pit Barrel Cooker/Vision Kamado/Purebred American Rat Terrier Whisperer
Check out my blog:
www.mooseonfire.com

Moose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 02:51 AM   #88
code3rrt
Babbling Farker

Looks like a fine ham sammie right there, I'd a had swiss cheese, but that's just me, lol. I'll bet you made short work outta that sammich too!

KC
Old 04-01-2013, 04:55 AM   #89
buccaneer

That's a freakin huge delich sammich!
Old 04-01-2013, 08:13 AM   #90
CharredApron
Babbling Farker

Awesome Job, Love the slicer I sold my globe a while back and am still kickin myself. Best of luck with your entry!
Jed