oink
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners(temp offline)
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-17-2013, 12:25 AM   #1
QansasjayhawQ
is One Chatty Farker

Default Perfect Weather in Lawrence Kansas

Well, you all know that I never have quite figured out the pictures thing, so you'll have to trust me . . .

Tonight is PERFECT cooking weather in Lawrence, Kansas.

The ambient temperature is about 65F with ZERO wind at all - the sweet blue is going straight up - so that means my WSM Grande and my MooCow UDS are happily chugging along at around 225F

Brisket on the WSM and two boston butts on the UDS

I'm trying a new lump tonight called Rockwood from somewhere near St. Louis, Missouri. Anyone ever tried that? It looks really nice - real wood - not carpentry scraps. And, so far, no rocks in spite of the name. Smells really sweet and clean. +1 for Rockwood lump so far from me.

Oh - and those Off! personal fan things really do work!
http://www.moocowbbq.com/
Two Weber 22.5" kettles One Brinkmann Smoke'N PitMaster Deluxe One LARGE WSM! (special black glossy finish) w/Stoker! WooHoo! KCBS Member/KCBS Master CBJ #24295
Sweaty, smokey and enjoying every minute.
QansasjayhawQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-17-2013, 04:25 AM   #2
shirknwrk
is one Smokin' Farker

We HAVE been blessed with a couple of weeks of early fall... Too bad it is supposed to end just as my guests arrive from NYC and Philly.

Let us know how the Rockwood lump works. I'm looking for something other than Royal Oak since I can't get Wicked Good anymore. Looks like the KC BBQ Source (aka Hot Spot Pools) in Liberty, MO carries it.
shirknwrk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-18-2013, 03:59 PM   #3
QansasjayhawQ
is One Chatty Farker

Well, I have to say - and I don't know if was the weather or what . . . but . . .

I left my WSM going well after I took my brisket and butts (moved the butts over to the WSM after I wrapped them) off. I wanted to see just how long of a burn I could get with the Rockwood lump.

My previous record on the WSM was 20 hours using Royal Oak.
(I load my ring up Minion style and start with a very few pieces of lit.)

This morning at 4AM I checked the temp on the WSM after starting it Friday night at 10PM

It was still at 225F

That's 30 HOURS at 225F

A NEW WORLD RECORD! Well, at least for my world.

I am amazed. Rockwood lump now has a ++ UP from me for being completely clean burning, rock free and now, long lasting!

Wow!

Oh - and there was just a dusting of ash in the bottom of the cooker! Just a dusting.
http://www.moocowbbq.com/
Two Weber 22.5" kettles One Brinkmann Smoke'N PitMaster Deluxe One LARGE WSM! (special black glossy finish) w/Stoker! WooHoo! KCBS Member/KCBS Master CBJ #24295
Sweaty, smokey and enjoying every minute.

Last edited by QansasjayhawQ; 08-18-2013 at 04:01 PM.. Reason: additional details
QansasjayhawQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-18-2013, 04:47 PM   #4
Armadillo
On the road to being a farker

What time do I need to show up to eat