Houston -> College Station -> ???

Gore

Phizzy

Batch Image
Reaction score
In another week, I'm heading for Houston (Woodlands, actually) and driving to/from College Station. Houston comes up periodically and the consensus is that the BBQ is pretty bad, ... but I have a car and will be driving. Any recommendations? I'm tempted to head to Luling and/or Lockhart and/or Shiner, but figure there must be something decent closer.

Well, just ask what would g...oh. Nevermind.

The New Zion Missionary Baptist Church BBQ in Huntsville is only 40 minutes north of The Woodlands. I don't know if it is as good as it was, but I sure would be tempted to sneak up there and see.

Not just a carwash. It's a Texas size convenience store. Trust me, stop at one. Get the Beaver Nuggets.

Since in the College Station area, maybe a side-trip to Snook, TX?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfbTO0GlONU"]Chicken Fried Bacon (Texas Country Reporter) - YouTube[/ame]

Not just a carwash. It's a Texas size convenience store. Trust me, stop at one. Get the Beaver Nuggets.

Since in the College Station area, maybe a side-trip to Snook, TX?

Chicken Fried Bacon (Texas Country Reporter) - YouTube

Other than really nice restrooms, the place is overrated, IMO.

The New Zion Missionary Baptist Church BBQ in Huntsville is a place I have been itching to try, just to see if it is as good as people say.

From College station you could run up to Taylor, Texas and eat at Louie Mueller Barbecue, which has re-opened after their recent pit fire. Thats about an 80 mile drive.

Be careful in College Station -- that town can suck the intelligence right out of a man. :becky:

CD

BTW, if you get hungry for Steak in the Woodlands, Perry's Steakhouse and Grill cooks a good prime steak.

Oh, and crawfish are in season now, and easy to find all over Houston.

CD

Well, with such rave reviews, I checked the map and it looks like Huntsville is right on the way to College Station. :thumb:

And it looks to me like Taylor is on the way back! How convenient is that? :shock:

Taylor is on over northeast of Austin, east out of Roundrock. Not really on the way back. And, yes you can go through Huntsville to get to College Station, but it not the fastest route.

I say go for it anyway!

Just so you know, I once drove 400 miles out of the way to eat at Oklahoma Joes in Kansas City, so you can trust my judgement on such matters.:wink:

Taylor is on over northeast of Austin, east out of Roundrock. Not really on the way back. And, yes you can go through Huntsville to get to College Station, but it not the fastest route.

I say go for it anyway!

Just so you know, I once drove 400 miles out of the way to eat at Oklahoma Joes in Kansas City, so you can trust my judgement on such matters.:wink:

Nope, checked the map again, and Taylor looks right on the way back. :becky: I believe we drove about 800 miles our of our way to get Olympic T-shirts in Atlanta once. :loco:

In case you aren't already aware of it, many of these Texas joints have unusual business hours. Not open on Sundays, close at six or earlier if the meat runs out and even open only Saturday. Be sure to check their hours as you develop your itinerary.

Nope, checked the map again, and Taylor looks right on the way back. :becky:

I like the way you think. :heh:

BTW, while in Huntsville, check out the giant plastic statue of Sam Houston, and the Texas Prison Museum. :becky:

Actually, you won't have a choice on the statue. It's pretty farking hard to miss driving from the Woodlands to Huntsville. :rolleyes:

CD

I like the way you think. :heh:

BTW, while in Huntsville, check out the giant plastic statue of Sam Houston, and the Texas Prison Museum. :becky:

Actually, you won't have a choice on the statue. It's pretty farking hard to miss driving from the Woodlands to Huntsville. :rolleyes:

CD

Ooooo, I love to stop and take pictures at roadside attractions! This is great! Sounds like there's a lot to do in Huntsville. Should I stay one night or two?

Ooooo, I love to stop and take pictures at roadside attractions! This is great! Sounds like there's a lot to do in Huntsville. Should I stay one night or two?

A lot of people spend years in Huntsville, some of them spend twenty-to-life. :shock:

Some lucky "residents" of huntsville get treated to a triple chemical intra-veinous cocktail, courtesy of the Governor. :shock: :shock:

Five years ago, you could have spent a weekend about 30 miles East of Huntsville at a lake house, watching deer wander through the yard with your morning coffee, boating and swimming in the afternoon, and grilling dinner, followed by a soak in a hot tub, while more deer wandered through the yard.

The lake house and boat are no longer a part of my life. :sad:

These days, Huntsville is just a town I pass through on my way to Houston.

I recommend lunch, and move on. Nothing to see here. :tsk:

Oh, don't pick up any hitchhikers.

CD

I was thinking that when I noticed they didn't have a Marriott. :tsk:

Ah, Huntsville. Always makes me think of my father, and nickels.

If you are going to be around on Saturday morning I'd drive west from B/CS on Hwy 21 to Lexington and visit Snow's GREAT BRISKET, less than an hour drive from Aggieland but they are only open on Saturday mornings until the run out of meat and they only take cash.

Back