• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

My first brisket

S

skipz0r

Hi Brethren,

So, my very first brisket. I got this piece of meat at a online wholeseller of special cuts of meat, at butchers here the look like a sheep at you when you ask for a brisket. It’s a IBP 5lb point.

This brisket has been defrosting at my fridge for a while and I seasoned it 24 hours before I put it on my Q. First I tried to remove a lot of the silverskin and trimmed down the fat cap, the boning knife was really handy in this occasion. I spiced It a little bit up with some coarse chili flakes and granulated garlic alongside the obvious peper and salt. On the other hand I was a little conservative with the rub as I want really let the smoke and the tender meat do the talking.

Got up early to get my meat to room temperature and realized it was a little windy and snowy during the night. Lighted 12 briquets in my starter for a good
start. At 09:00 I was ready to throw the meat on the kettle with 3 lumbs of hickory. During the smoke I added also 3 lumbs more.

As I still had a long cook to go, we decided to just take a little walk down the river near our place. As the weather was beautiful with the snow I also attached some of the pics I took.

After 3,5 hours I wrapped the brisket with foil. In the foil was a mixture of 125 grams of butter and some the rub I used on the brisket.
The end result didn’t happen or the photo’s were phail, can’t remember. My guests and wife were very happy with the result, I personally wasn’t. The smoke ring was a big big disappointment. I expected more from the meat, it was a little dry. The taste itself was great, but not as great as I expected from a piece of meat this price.

Would I make it again? Maybe, but would prefer to go for a slow cook next time and a whole packer in order to compare the flat and point. Also would maybe make burned ends only when I get a point next time.

Thanks for reading.

Foto-3ZVIAFRV-D.jpg

Foto-7SARVRD4-D.jpg

Foto-VALHJTXA-D.jpg

Foto-AU4SAKOP-D.jpg

Foto-T8Y4TR4I-D.jpg

Foto-6W6NLJQ8-D.jpg

Foto-BH4WOZFD-D.jpg

Foto-ZWJUVAY8-D.jpg

Foto-HBZOCLC6-D.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Good looking hunk of Cow! I would not worry about a smoke ring, it is just a visual thing and has nothing to to with flavor. If you want to get it put the brisket on the pit strait from the cold box. The smoke ring will stop forming when the meats surface temp reaches 140 deg F.

Good lookin' brisket there! Like bludawg said, the smoke ring is not a big deal.

If wife & guests liked it then you done good on your first brisket!

Back