MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-25-2013, 02:11 PM   #1
mcgrathc20
Found some matches.

Default WSM options

I have a Brinkman ECB which I don't really have positive results with. But I have a Weber OTG with the smokenator and have great results with that.

I want to move up to the WSM but not sure if I should go with the 18.5 or 22.5, thoughts?
mcgrathc20 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-25-2013, 02:15 PM   #2
caseydog
somebody shut me the fark up.

The 22.5 has more capacity, but also uses more fuel. You have to match cooker size to your cook size.

Since I rarely do large cooks, I went with an 18.5, and if I need extra capacity, I can use one of my OTGs or mini-WSM. I think I've only had to do that once in about two years.

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-25-2013, 02:16 PM   #3
tnjimbob
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Jim H.

Spend the extra $100 on the 22". They can be fuel hogs, but you could purchase a charcoal ring for an 18" that would still give good results but would be more fuel efficient than the one that comes with the 22".

Old 02-25-2013, 02:21 PM   #4
Carbon
is One Chatty Farker

If you're handy you can modify your ECB and turn it into a good smoker. Then you have no excuse but to get the bigger WSM. And then there's always the UDS option if you don't want to spend that kind of money.

Old 02-25-2013, 02:21 PM   #5
PaPaQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Clyde

^^^ That's what i did. Bought the 22" and the charcoal ring for an 18" for the smaller cooks. The 22" has a lot more room for ribs.
PaPaQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-25-2013, 02:29 PM   #6
flyingbassman5
is one Smokin' Farker

Go with the 18.5" if you aren't planning on doing big cooks. If you do end up or think you will end up doing big cooks for family parties then go with the 22.5".

Or get the 18.5" and then use the rest of the money in you budget for the 22.5" and invest it in building a 55 gal UDS. Then you can use the WSM for smaller cooks and when the in-laws come over you can roll out the UDS and cook for a party.

Old 02-25-2013, 04:13 PM   #7
Cayman1
is one Smokin' Farker

The 22 is not just for big cooks, but cooking big pieces of meat. A slab of ribs, without shortening will not fit on an 18 and neither will a big packer without draping over something like a rib rack.

Go for the 22, you won't be disappointed for an extra $100.

Old 02-25-2013, 04:43 PM   #8
305Q
Knows what a fatty is.

I kow someone who is selling a slightly used 22.5 WSM **wink wink**
305Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-25-2013, 04:59 PM   #9
BobM
Babbling Farker

I have both sized WSMs, and I use them both.
If I had to have one, I'd get the 22 1/2" model.
| [COLOR=RoyalBlue][COLOR=Red]Weber[/COLOR] 18 1/2" & 22 1/2" WSM[/COLOR], [COLOR=SeaGreen]22 1/2" & 26 3/4" OTG[/COLOR][COLOR=DimGray][COLOR=Black],[/COLOR] [COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]Genesis S-330[/COLOR][/COLOR] |[COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Black]|[/COLOR] BBQ Guru CyberQ WiFi [/COLOR]| [COLOR=DarkOrange]Maverick ET-732[/COLOR] | [COLOR=Gray]Gray Thermapen[/COLOR] |
BobM is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-25-2013, 05:22 PM   #10
superlazy
is One Chatty Farker

I struggled with the same decision last yr and ended up with the 18.5 and am quite happy.
I was helping my sister move this weekend and some how got talked into bringing my wsm down for Easter and cooking this yr.. At first I thought ok no prob. until last night the wife told me I should do 3 or 4 butts and 2 hams
I got thinking about it today and it will be fine. I should be able to do 4 butts at once and they can rest while the hams are on. Heck i may even toss on a few rack of ribs while the hams are going to nibble on later in the evening

Old 02-25-2013, 05:28 PM   #11
benniesdad
Full Fledged Farker

I have had an 18.5 WSM for years and it has been plenty big enough to do ribs, full packer briskets and a pile of pork butts. Or should I say it was big enough to do all those things until the 22.5 came out. Now my smoker is too small and I have a bad case of WSM smoker envy. I am just having a hard time convincing the Mrs. that I need a new smoker.

If I had the option, I would definitely go with the 22.5. There have been lots of times when I really could have used the extra room.

Old 02-25-2013, 05:32 PM   #12
Rover24
Full Fledged Farker

Get the 22.5 incher...if you have the 22.5 and you want to use less fuel, you have options.

Old 02-25-2013, 06:08 PM   #13
Freddy j
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobM View Post
I have both sized WSMs, and I use them both.
If I had to have one, I'd get the 22 1/2" model.
Me too, love my 22
Freddy j is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-25-2013, 06:11 PM   #14
JazzyBadger
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I went with the 22" and rarely do I ever use the smaller ring to go along with it, but it's nice to have it in case I need it. I have used it a couple of times, but generally it's during chicken cooks.

Old 02-25-2013, 06:26 PM   #15
Harbormaster
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Clark

I started with an 18.5" and when I needed more room, I just bought more WSMs.

I have cooked 6 butts on one 18.5" WSM and I can do 12 racks of St. Louis trimmed spares on a WSM (if they're not comp ribs).

Never really felt the need to go with a 22.5".

Regardless of size, you will not go wrong with a WSM.
Brinkman Cimmaron.
"For when democracy becomes tyranny, those of us with rifles still get to vote"
Harbormaster is offline   Reply With Quote