The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 02-25-2013, 03:21 PM   #1
flyingbassman5
is one Smokin' Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default What meal do you LOVE to cook??

In the process of balancing out the universe, this thread was bound to happen sooner or later. So in response to Fo Shizzle's thread "What meal do you hate to cook?" I ask you dear brethren, what meal do you LOVE to cook? Why? (Try to pick just one. Think about if you had to pick one thing to cook for the rest of you BBQin' days, what would it be?)

I personally have a lot of cooks I love to do but the single recipe I love from prep to clean up is Wisconsin style Beer Brats. Take em for a sear over hot coals on the Weber and then place them in a bath of beer, a stick of butter, and a whole chopped white onion. And hour later and a little kraut and mustard and I'm a happy camper. Sometimes, I reverse sear them to get a good smoke ring goin' and then into the hour long bath they go.

Thanks from:--->
Unread 02-25-2013, 03:25 PM   #2
samfsu
Full Fledged Farker

I would have to say baby back ribs and brisket. Since I started making my own BBRs I refuse to eat them in the faux bbq joints around town. ;) And no one here makes unsauced brisket! :)

Unread 02-25-2013, 03:25 PM   #3
jmoney7269
Banned

Cajun Crawfish and shrimp pontchartrain over jasmine rice.
Buddy lemme tell ya somethin!!!!
jmoney7269 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-25-2013, 03:26 PM   #4
caseydog
somebody shut me the fark up.

Downloads: 1

Rotisserie chicken. I soak it overnight with sea salt, turbo sugar and fresh herbs. It always comes out tender, juice and full of good flavor. And, it is so easy.

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-25-2013, 03:26 PM   #5
SmokingJo
Full Fledged Farker

Default What meal do you LOVE to cook??

I love to bbq typical italian food that is typically cooked in the regular oven. For example rice potatoes and mussels (typical of Puglia, south italy).

Unread 02-25-2013, 03:27 PM   #6
landarc

Osechi Ryori, simple as that. The Feast for New Years, when we cook all of the traditional and family recipes. It touches on my heritage, but, more importantly, these are the dishes I learned from my mom and dad, from my mom's mother and it is a direct line of inheritance from them through me to the next generation. And though we have added some modern and Western influences, these are traditions that are centuries old. Now that all of my parents and elders are either gone or too old to cook, I feel their love and presence with this meal.

Whip It Off, Chambers!

"perhaps...but then again...maybe not..."
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-25-2013, 03:29 PM   #7
buccaneer
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Its too hard.
I have too many...cacciatore maybe...

Unread 02-25-2013, 03:31 PM   #8
MisterChrister
is One Chatty Farker

Sushi

Unread 02-25-2013, 03:33 PM   #9
deguerre

Poached eggs and fried ham steaks on toast or English muffins. Favorite childhood comfort food.
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-25-2013, 03:34 PM   #10
Garrett
is One Chatty Farker

Here lately is been chuck roast. Smoked with cherry wood until 165 and then put it in a pan with onions and bell peppers and some Cheerwine. Wrap it up and cook until it falls apart and then make Samiches. Eating that will cause your babies to born nekkid!

Unread 02-25-2013, 03:36 PM   #11
HeSmellsLikeSmoke

A big ole chuck pot roast with potatoes, carrots, onions with brown gravy from the drippings. It was about the only really good dish my mom could cook.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-25-2013, 03:43 PM   #12
Bludawg
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Thanksgiving

Thanks from: --->
Unread 02-25-2013, 03:44 PM   #13
Rover24
Full Fledged Farker

Pot Roast! I smoke the chuckie for a couple hours, then into a cast iron dutch oven with potatoes, carrots and onions and then back on the smoker until the roast is done. I make some egg noodles and a gravy from the pan drippings. It's the same meal that my grandma used to make (except the smoker part, I adapted that part). Little nostalgia with a Brethren twist!

Unread 02-25-2013, 03:59 PM   #14
dwfisk
is Blowin Smoke!

Downloads: 1

Anything outdoors! Right now I'm focused on brisket and trying to migrate to "hot(er)-n-fast(er)" than my normal 225*, 12-15 hour method. I just do too many family & friends cooks where 12-15 hours takes it off the menu. After that, this Florida boy wants to try and figure out this whole tritip Santa Maria thang. Thanks for startin this thread.
Home built 48" fire pit with a 30"x30" Santa Maria style ranch grill.
Home built lump charcoal retort, iGrill & a bunch of other cooking toys.
dwfisk is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-25-2013, 04:13 PM   #15
I like Bigbutts
is one Smokin' Farker

I am becoming a beef rib fan, but by biggest kick lately is frying cube steak (chicken fried steak) outside. I have a Propane camp stove with a low and high pressure burner on my cooking area. A cast iron skillet, egg soaked steak, enriched flour and crushed saltine crackers.....I have one happy family.....

Friends call me the "One Eyed Porker"....What can I say...
I like Bigbutts is offline   Reply With Quote