喫煙者
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 02-25-2013, 09:28 AM   #1
Fo Sizzle My Nizzle
is one Smokin' Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default What meal do you hate to cook?

What meal do you hate to cook, but end up having to because people request it? Wifey's birthday was yesterday and she requested my chicken tenders. HATE making this meal. Costs more than its worth due to oil for frying and the almonds for the crust. That and we don't have a dedicated fryer so it requires constant temp maintenance. Soaking in buttermilk/spices, dredging in chopped almonds/pretzels, checking for the magical brown coloring, making honey mustard, making ranch, using up my good bbq sauce, and cleanup. Not to mention yuck hand from the dredging process. What's your most hated favorite meal?

When all else fails just ask yourself, WWGALD???
Fo Sizzle My Nizzle is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-25-2013, 09:42 AM   #2
DownHomeQue
is One Chatty Farker

Start making your tenders a lot less complex.. she won't request them as much LOL i joke.. i for one am not particularly fond of smoking Salmon.. it makes my whole pit fishy.. and i don't care to much for seafood myself.. but i do it for my moms.. everytime she sees my firing up the pit.. she goes and buys a big piece of salmon.. at least i am smoking.. though.. so i can't complain to much.
DownHomeQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-25-2013, 09:47 AM   #3
Big slick
is one Smokin' Farker

I hate frying anything. The whole house stinks for days. Not to mention the mess it makes and the disposing of the oil. It's just a major waste of time and money in my opinion.

Unread 02-25-2013, 09:52 AM   #4
flyingbassman5
is one Smokin' Farker

My chicken soup. My parents love it but I've hated chicken soup since I've been a kid. I usually end up making a burger for myself on those nights or order take out.

Was asked to make it once on a day off and have been making it ever since. Maybe its that 45 year old cast iron stew pot I cook it in....

Really hate it because it becomes a day long process.

Unread 02-25-2013, 09:52 AM   #5
Wampus
somebody shut me the fark up.

Making pizza is starting to wear on me. It used to be an every Friday night thing, but we've slacked off a bit lately and the kids are NOT happy about it.

Since I make the dough from scratch every time there's the flour mess all over, the rise, more flour to roll out, and then there's slicing veg, sauce, cheese, bake....

The pie's only take about 7 or 8 minutes to actually cook, but it's a 2 hour deal it seems. Plus, we make several each time too.

It's become a real PIA. WHY did we stop just cooking frozen pizzas again?

"The path was worn and slippery. My foot slipped from underneath me, knocking the other out of the way, but I recovered and said to myself, 'It's a slip and not a fall.'"
-Abraham Lincoln
Wampus is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 02-25-2013, 09:53 AM   #6
Ron_L

Downloads: 1

I really don't hate cooking anything. There are some things, like frying, that I would rather not do, but I don't hate it.

The Naked Fatty!

FEC-100/BWS Party/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Nomad Pellet-matic/Good-One Model 42/WSM X 2/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Gasser (RIP)/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/UDS/Coffee Roasting Gasser
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-25-2013, 09:59 AM   #7
deepsouth

my least favorite thing to do is frying due to the grease and cleanup.

Unread 02-25-2013, 10:02 AM   #8
jmoney7269
Banned

+1 for frying. My mother inlaw got me a presto fry granpappy for Xmas last year, so u do it outside now and it doesn't bother me at all. Especially if I want a really good CFS, I gotta do it. When your done and the grease cools, put the lid back on it till next time. Crisco butter flavored shortening all the way baby!!
jmoney7269 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-25-2013, 10:02 AM   #9
dwfisk
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 1

Indoors! Don't really "hate" it but I'm a lot happier on a grill or smoker.
Home built 48" fire pit with a 30"x30" Santa Maria style ranch grill.
Home built lump charcoal retort, iGrill & a bunch of other cooking toys.
dwfisk is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-25-2013, 10:03 AM   #10
VoodoChild
Take a breath!

Salad !

Yeah Its Not cooking But making salads for some reason I just Hate !

Like to Eat them but the prep ... forget it !
[I]1-Weber 26.75 otg[/I]
[I]Nexgrill Gas[/I]
[I]Beefeater 3000s w/Cart -Gas[/I]
VoodoChild is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Unread 02-25-2013, 10:08 AM   #11
MisterChrister
is Blowin Smoke!

Frying.....that said, can I have your chicken tenders recipe? It sounds interesting!

Unread 02-25-2013, 10:18 AM   #12
aawa
Babbling Farker

All my friends constantly bug me for Lumpia (filipino egg rolls) I hate making them because you have to make the filling and then let it cool. Then you have to separate the wrappers. Then you have to handroll each lumpia.

Unread 02-25-2013, 10:33 AM   #13
Fo Sizzle My Nizzle
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterChrister View Post
Frying.....that said, can I have your chicken tenders recipe? It sounds interesting!
Awesome Pretzel Chicken Tenders
foodnetwork.com

Servings: --
Prep Time: 30 min (Lies!)
Cook Time: 15 min (Lies!)
Calories: --

Ingredients
3 pounds Chicken Tenders
2 cups Buttermilk
2 tablespoons Dried Basil
2 tablespoons Dried Oregano
2 tablespoons Garlic Powder
3/4 teaspoon Salt
2 teaspoons Black Pepper
3/4 teaspoon Crushed Red Pepper
1 1/2 cup Smoked Almonds
12 Pretzels
Canola Oil (for frying)

Directions
1. In a small bowl, combine basil, oregano, granulated garlic, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes. Place buttermilk and half the spice mix into a double-lined resealable plastic bag. Add chicken and massage bag until well coated. Refrigerate 6 to 12 hours. Reserve remaining spice mix.

2. Place almonds in plastic bag. Break up with rolling pin or mallet (flat side) until mixture looks part rough chopped part crumbs. Remove almonds and place into shallow bowl. Put pretzels in same bag and mash with mallet or rolling pin until it looks like a mixture of large breadcrumbs and powder. Add to almonds mix to combine.

3. In a large fry pan, pour canola oil until it measures about 1 1/2 -inches high in pan. Heat over high, until oil is hot, but not smoking, temperature, 350 degrees.

4. Remove tenders from buttermilk and dredge in almond-pretzel mixture, pressing mixture into the tenders. Gently add tenders, in batches, to the oil. Be sure not to over crowd the pan. Fry tenders until they are dark golden brown, being careful not to burn, about 5 minutes or until cooked through. Remove and drain on a cookie sheet lined with a wire rack. Serve immediately with Spicy Honey Dijon Sauce or keep warm in a 200 degree F oven.

When all else fails just ask yourself, WWGALD???
Fo Sizzle My Nizzle is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Unread 02-25-2013, 10:45 AM   #14
HeSmellsLikeSmoke

I used to dislike breading fried chicken although I like to hear it sizzling in the cast iron pan and love eating it. Now I use nitrile gloves when breading and it is no longer an issue.

Like Ron, I can't think of anything I actually hate to cook.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-25-2013, 10:49 AM   #15
Bludawg

Chile Relleno & Tamales

Last edited by Bludawg; 02-25-2013 at 01:38 PM..
Bludawg is offline   Reply With Quote