First Comp test run at home

jketron

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I'm doing my test run tonight, going to make notes of all my times and stuff I needed that I dont have ready for the a comp.

I have a smoker question and weather. I want to insulate my 22 WSM, I bought a water heater jacket (fiberglass with a white plastic film on the outside), will this jacket work, is it dangerous? anyone make a nice one already?

I cook on a WSM here in upstate ny and it gets cold in the winter I have never put a jacket on it and I have smoked in below zero weather. I do use a guru. I also would agree wind protection is way more important. Good luck with your smoke.

Have fun and happy smoking
BBQ UP

No wind tonight, I was thinking the jacket would help the fuel go a little longer. I'm going to go without a jacket tonight

It'll be fine. But understand whatever you do in those conditions will take a lot less time in more favorable conditions. Hope it goes well

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk 2

I've got all my meat trimmed and ready. I'm going to match the turn in times. I'm thinking to start my brisket at 3:30am. I'll fire up the smoker at about 2:30am. Its primed and ready waiting to be lit

As others have said, wind is the main thing to watch with WSM's......it will purr along with temps in the 40's.

I have a couple of welders blankets that do a good job blocking the wind (I wrap them around and use a heavy clip to fasten them at the top so that the top vent can still breath). That said, I only had to wrap them twice last year out of 30 comps. I probably should have wrapped them a couple of other times but I just turned them into stick burners when the fuel got low....

I've filler her up a little extra tonight, I'd rather waste a little coal than re-fuel and the 22 is HUNGRY!

How are you cleaning up in between meat trimming? hot water and a new disposable cutting board?

I trim everything at home before the comp so I don't have to worry about that at the comp.

Be careful to avoid having the water heater blanket touch the sides of the WSM. I still have melted insulation on the outside of my 22. Switched to the Guru WSM silicone cover for all my cooks regardless of outside temp. It helps me avoid reloading even starting at 7 pm for a normal 1 pm turn-in for pork.
Starting at 3:30 am for brisket works in hot/fast cooking. Is that what you are doing? Are you cooking flats or packers? I'm doing a practice tonight also but mybrisket and butts are going on at 10 pm.
Benny

If you want to try wrapping the WSM another time during colder or breezy conditions, use insulating wrap that you can find at hardware stores -- it's basically stiff bubble wrap with silvery mylar on each side. It's easily cut to size so you can make cylinders with a little breathing room around the WSM, you don't want it tight so it won't scorch. A big plus is that it's cheap, lightweight and super easy to roll up and transport, but it does a great job blocking the wind and helping conserve fuel.

Have a good cook tonight!

ok 2am and the pit is lit, meat is rubbed, waiting for the pit to climb to temp and settle

meat went on at 2:40am, removed pork and brisket at 6:10am. Pork is 150 and brisket is at 152, both look great.

Removed them? They're not done at those temps. They need to cook until they are probe tender.

sorry missed that I put them back on :), I'm still sleepy

Where are you at Ron? I grew up in Schaumburg for 21 yrs

Back