The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 02-22-2013, 07:33 AM   #1
RINO-cue
Got rid of the matchlight.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Insulated Offset

Greetings - I'm debating a build that would involve a fully insulated reverse flow stick burner. I've been doing a lot of research and have noticed that all units like this are generally square. My idea would be to bracket and weld a smaller diameter pipe inside a larger pipe. While stuffing the insulation may be more difficult I think this would cut down on the welds. Has anyone tries this before?

Also, what advantages are there to using removable tuning plates as opposed to a fixed reverse flow design?

Finally, I currently use a WSM and have limited experience on a stick burner so any ideas I should incorporate would be helpful. Just for reference, I'd ultimately like to get into catering and street festival vending.
RINO-cue is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-22-2013, 08:47 AM   #2
el_matt
is One Chatty Farker

In another post, BBQ Bandit had this to say about round fireboxes...

"By having flat sides the firegrate will not constrict airflow or ash drop AND use a flat upper surface as a warming area"

Matt

Unread 02-22-2013, 09:18 AM   #3
luke duke
is One Chatty Farker

I think that he is mostly referring to the cooking chamber, not the firebox.

I've wondered the same thing. A fully insulated offset would be awesome.
luke duke is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-22-2013, 10:37 AM   #4
RINO-cue
Got rid of the matchlight.

The design I'm thinking of would be similar style as a meadow creek TS 250, but it would be a fully insulated unit. I just don't know if the round cooking chamber is practical - since no one seems to be doing it.
RINO-cue is offline   Reply With Quote