The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 01-22-2006, 12:52 PM   #1
JohnMcD348
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Question about Competition Chicken

I was wondering why it is that for Competition purposes, they only use Chicken Thighs for judging? My wife was asking me and I sort of off the cuff came up with a few ideas but I wonder if I was even close. I said it was becuase the thighs(dark meat) had a better ability to stay juicy and absorbed more smoke than the breast(white meat).

Am I completely off and FOS or was I sortof right?

Thanks

JTMcD.

We sleep peaceful in our beds because Rough Men stand ready in the night to visit violence upon those who would do us harm.......G. Orwell

Brinkman Smoke King Deluxe, The Famous StudeDera, Weber Smokey Joe Gold and Platinum, Brinkman Professional Grill, Brinkman ECB and 2 Weber Smoky Mountians
JohnMcD348 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-22-2006, 12:57 PM   #2
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Downloads: 12
Uploads: 4

yup, that is pretty much it.. The dark meat stays moist and handle longer times in the smoke.. and also..

with a little trimming, they are easy to get uniform in size and shape and 6 thighs fit nicely in a box.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Klose built MoAB (Mother of All Banderas) passed on to Big Dog, 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 1 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Pit Barrel Cooker, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-22-2006, 01:08 PM   #3
Paola Greg
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQchef33
with a little trimming, they are easy to get uniform in size and shape and 6 thighs fit nicely in a box.
Or nine,,,,,,,,

Unread 01-22-2006, 01:12 PM   #4
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Downloads: 12
Uploads: 4

yeah.. what he said too.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Klose built MoAB (Mother of All Banderas) passed on to Big Dog, 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 1 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Pit Barrel Cooker, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-22-2006, 01:32 PM   #5
kcquer
Lives in Spirit

Quote:
they only use Chicken Thighs for judging
Any chicken can be turned in, thighs are just most commonly turned in now. A few years back it was legs, and 10-15 yrs ago it was breasts. At some point it will probably be breasts again.
Personally I hate thighs, just don't like the greasy dark meat. I wouldn't know a good thigh if I was forced to eat a dozen of them so I don't cook them. Breasts in my box.
kcquer is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-22-2006, 01:45 PM   #6
wsm
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paola Greg
Or nine,,,,,,,,

Greg, is nine the number or the score?

KCBS CBJ
WSM slightly modded, Weber Performer, Smokey Joe Gold, Whatever is handy
wsm is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-22-2006, 02:02 PM   #7
Paola Greg
Full Fledged Farker

Rich, the box is from Laurie, MO last year. The scores were apperance 888899, taste 889999 and tender 889999. I joked after the awards that I felt those nine pieces got the judges thinking 9's,,,
But dangit, I could never get nine in a box after that last year,,,,

Unread 01-22-2006, 05:23 PM   #8
wsm
Full Fledged Farker

Greg, you ever hear from the guy who wanted to know if Ribs 4 U was GOOD ENOUGH??

KCBS CBJ
WSM slightly modded, Weber Performer, Smokey Joe Gold, Whatever is handy
wsm is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-22-2006, 05:38 PM   #9
ChipotlePat
On the road to being a farker

if you know what you are dooing you can add chicken brest in the box. I got 4 place ot the American Royal of all most 500 teams so don't you have to have just thighs.
ChipotlePat is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-22-2006, 06:14 PM   #10
River City Smokehouse
is One Chatty Farker

I like thighs personally because of the less chance of messing them up as opposed to breasts.

Traeger Texas BBQ 075
UDS "Cool Hand Luke"
3 Weber Kettles and a Yellow Thermapen
KCBS Certified BBQ Judge #8425
River City Smokehouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-22-2006, 08:50 PM   #11
ZBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Do the breasts have to have skin on them and do they have to be "smoked"? I have a way that I grill skinless boneless breasts that they are so moist that after you take them off the grill and finish dinner there is a big puddle of juice on the meat plate. My family requests them all the time.

Just curious what the comp rules have to say about skinless boneless breasts that are grilled?

Fraternally
Neil
[FONT=Palatino Linotype][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=blue][B][COLOR=red]Big Z's Sweet Gold[/COLOR] -[/B] [COLOR=black]R[/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Palatino Linotype][FONT=Georgia]ich honey mustard flavor with a BBQ kick. [/FONT][/FONT]
Great on chicken, burgers, brats, great on ribs too!
Get ya some @ [URL="http://www.greatlakesbbqsupply.com/product.sc?categoryId=3&productId=10"]Great Lakes BBQ Supply Co.[/URL]
[FONT=Palatino Linotype][FONT=Palatino Linotype]WSM, Weber Gasser, Weber OTG[/FONT]
[FONT=Palatino Linotype][FONT=Garamond][COLOR=black]"Tilly"[/COLOR][/FONT] - Spicewine Single Axle[/FONT]
[URL="http://www.facebook.com/pages/Big-Zs-Sweet-Gold/115561446787?ref=nf"][COLOR=#810081]http://www.facebook.com/pages/Big-Zs-Sweet-Gold/115561446787?ref=nf[/COLOR][/URL]

[/FONT]
ZBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-22-2006, 09:08 PM   #12
MilitantSquatter

Depends where you're competing...

For KCBS, You can use skinless/boneless but they can't be cooked on a gas grill or using gas etc. You can "grill" them with high heat on a Weber kettle or similar with charcoal and/or wood if you choose.

Unread 01-23-2006, 07:42 PM   #13
ZBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Thanks Vinny!
[FONT=Palatino Linotype][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=blue][B][COLOR=red]Big Z's Sweet Gold[/COLOR] -[/B] [COLOR=black]R[/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Palatino Linotype][FONT=Georgia]ich honey mustard flavor with a BBQ kick. [/FONT][/FONT]
Great on chicken, burgers, brats, great on ribs too!
Get ya some @ [URL="http://www.greatlakesbbqsupply.com/product.sc?categoryId=3&productId=10"]Great Lakes BBQ Supply Co.[/URL]
[FONT=Palatino Linotype][FONT=Palatino Linotype]WSM, Weber Gasser, Weber OTG[/FONT]
[FONT=Palatino Linotype][FONT=Garamond][COLOR=black]"Tilly"[/COLOR][/FONT] - Spicewine Single Axle[/FONT]
[URL="http://www.facebook.com/pages/Big-Zs-Sweet-Gold/115561446787?ref=nf"][COLOR=#810081]http://www.facebook.com/pages/Big-Zs-Sweet-Gold/115561446787?ref=nf[/COLOR][/URL]

[/FONT]
ZBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-23-2006, 08:56 PM   #14
Solidkick
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilitantSquatter
Depends where you're competing...

For KCBS, You can use skinless/boneless but they can't be cooked on a gas grill or using gas etc. You can "grill" them with high heat on a Weber kettle or similar with charcoal and/or wood if you choose.
Yea....what he said......

------------------------------------------------
Belly Brothers BBQ Team

"Sister Flame" Spicewine Trailer Smoker,Modified Bandera, Uni-Flame Chicken Cooker with a Spicewine Thermometer mod,Kingsford Barrel cooker and a super fast RED thermapen

KC always said "fat cap up!!
Solidkick is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-24-2006, 10:51 AM   #15
G$
is One Chatty Farker

Although they have been posted previously many times, I wonder if folks would share pictures of turn in boxes for chicken in this thread. Many of the previous pictures that have bene posted seem to have been removed due to age/broken links/forum migration.
G$ is offline   Reply With Quote