The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-20-2013, 11:07 AM   #1
Longo1908
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Lump verses Briquettes?

Hey Brethern.....

Ive only cooked with Lump charcoal but notice that most here use briquettes. The Lump definetly imparts a strong distinct flavor onto the meat, and I was wondering if briquettes did the same?

Old 02-20-2013, 11:22 AM   #2
HeSmellsLikeSmoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

There are several levels of quality of both lump and briquettes, but generally speaking, briquettes, unlike lump, have binders and other additives which some users say make an off taste to the meat. Lump is hotter burning and leaves less ash. Some brands of briquettes have no binders though.

I use Wicked Good Weekend Warrier lump almost exclusively. It leaves a light wood smoke taste when used by itself.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-20-2013, 11:40 AM   #3
rubizuk
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longo1908 View Post
Hey Brethern.....

Ive only cooked with Lump charcoal but notice that most here use briquettes. The Lump definetly imparts a strong distinct flavor onto the meat, and I was wondering if briquettes did the same?
I started using KB only, dealing with lots of ash and an aftertaste that I just assumed with BBQ flavor.

After learking around BBQ Brethren for a while, I got curious about lump and tried RO, Mexican Mesquite Lump & Cowboy. Hardly any ash, no aftertaste, just the wood flavor of your choice.

I now use KB for the Dutch Oven and sometimes for starting the cook only.

Just my opinion. If you do try Coals, Stubbs is a better choice over KB. KB is the best if price is you main concern and don't mind the aftertaste and smell.

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-20-2013, 11:45 AM   #4
Bludawg

Briquettes do impart flavor they make your "Q" taste like a cross between a chemical dumping site and strait up Ass. YMMV

Thanks from: --->
Old 02-20-2013, 11:49 AM   #5
Vision
is One Chatty Farker

I don't notice a taste using KB in a smoker. I do using KB while grilling...in some cases there is a mineral, like iron, taste to steaks that really are put over a hot fire.

Lump is a pain to use and I only like to use WW.

Old 02-20-2013, 12:11 PM   #6
Longo1908
Knows what a fatty is.

Has anyone ever used Kingsford Competition? A BBQ store I went to recommended it but I'm wondering if its just because they sell it?

Old 02-20-2013, 12:13 PM   #7
Tommyboy48
Full Fledged Farker

I use RO lump and have no problems with it.

Thanks from: --->
Old 02-20-2013, 12:14 PM   #8
jestridge

I don't use either most briquettes have a pine taste the manfacture use pine for easy lighting
jestridge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-20-2013, 12:52 PM   #9
Kathy's Smokin'
Babbling Farker

I have used a lot of "Nature's Grilling" Hardwood 100% Natural Gourmet briquettes and they are great. Absolutely no fillers, mineral spirits or other additives. They are heavily compressed and leave little ash compared with other briquettes. I bought them at Walmart in Ontario, not sure where they are available in the US. Just recently I bought 12 bags of King, a very long burning gourmet lump with huge pieces. What I notice is that a chimney goes to ash much quicker with lump so I can cook sooner. Despite how light this lump feels compared to my natural briquettes it burns longer and does give less ash, important in a kamado. I'm learning that expensive lump can burn longer than expensive briquette which levels the cost between them somewhat -- despite how much they weigh before burning. I would absolutely buy that natural briquette brand again for shorter cooks but not for a long or overnight cooks where minimal ash production and charcoal size matters more.
Inspiration, boisterous merriment and good food are what Brethren Throwdowns are about!

Walk in beauty, Dan Chambers.
I am a success in life because I am loved.
We teach others who we are with everything we say and everything we do.
Kathy's Smokin' is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-20-2013, 01:02 PM   #10
rcbaughn
Full Fledged Farker

I always smoke with briquettes for the even temps they give, but I am going to have to give lump a try I guess. I have never noticed an off flavor in any of my meat though, but my palette may not be the best. I usually use RO lump for grilling so next time I'll dump that in my mini WSM and see if I can maintain temps as easy.

Old 02-20-2013, 01:09 PM   #11
Carbon
is One Chatty Farker

I like using KB because you can load up when they're on sale.
I also like the unpredictable nature of using Mexican mesquite lump which is always priced at $10 for a 40 lb bag around here.

Old 02-20-2013, 02:18 PM   #12
ymmiT
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommyboy48 View Post
I use RO lump and have no problems with it.
Same here
ymmiT is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-20-2013, 02:37 PM   #13
Vision
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longo1908 View Post
Has anyone ever used Kingsford Competition? A BBQ store I went to recommended it but I'm wondering if its just because they sell it?
Yes, I like it a lot. It's hard to find and is expensive for briquettes.

Old 02-20-2013, 03:56 PM   #14
Big M1ke
is one Smokin' Farker

I like Stubb's briquettes for low and slow and RO lump for steaks and such.

Old 02-20-2013, 04:21 PM   #15
IamMadMan

CHARCOAL BRIQUETTES and LUMP CHARCOAL

First we need to realize that not all charcoal is created equally or in the same methods of production. There are various levels of quality in production of both lump charcoal and charcoal briquettes (like anything else mass produced). Generally speaking briquettes have binders and other additives which hold them together and control the rate of burn.

Lump Charcoal - Just as it states, these are random sized pieces of hardwood charcoal. It is just wood that has been turned into charcoal using heat without combustion. Lump charcoal contains more carbon and less impurities. Lump charcoal will burn at a higher temperature and will leave less ash than briquettes.

Briquette Charcoal - Are uniform pillow shaped pieces of charcoal. Most briquettes are simply the left over production from the Lump Charcoal Producers and by-products of wood manufacturing products. They take the left over pieces and grind them to a consistent size and then use potato, wheat or corn starch as a binding agent. The alleged advantage of briquettes is that they burn at a lower temperature for a longer period of time.

Some say briquettes are ideally suited if you are doing ribs or using the low and slow cooking method for long hours. Briquettes now also come in flavors by impregnating bits of hickory or mesquite chips into the briquettes have for an added ease of usage.

Many users say the binders and additives used in briquette production give the meat an off taste during the cooking process.

Bottom line it is what you like to use or what works best for you...

IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote