• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

So, I Want To Market My Super Awesome Rub(s)

A

ABM

First of all, hey, y'all. :)

I have dabbled with this rub for a number of years and finally have found some degree of perfection. Everyone who has tried it says it's the best they've used. It's always a demanded item for stocking stuffers, gifts, and the like.

So.....now I'd like to take a stab at marketing it......but have no idea as to the steps I should take in doing so. One thought I've had is eventually selling it (and variations, thereof) on Amazon Marketplace, then maybe through various local outlets...perhaps even at fairs and the like.

Do any of you have experience in this area? If so, might you be willing to share your thoughts as to the steps I should take. I think somebody once told me I'd need to get a nutritional label through the USDA, but I'm not sure.

Anyway, thanks in advance!! :)

To the guys who have experience in this field, you are now considered competition. Let me know if you get any help.

Unless you have over 1% animal/meat based ingredient in your product, the labeling would be FDA.

Wherever you would have the product blended and filled could do it for you.

Seriously, you will want some endorsements or a large chunk of cash. Consider making some samples to send out to some brethren. Bet you will get more bites if you impress.

This is a very good question, I'm looking forward to hearing what the brethren have to say. I hope my question doesn't hijack the thread, but how do you guys mix your rub so it is uniform consistency?

This is a very good question, I'm looking forward to hearing what the brethren have to say. I hope my question doesn't hijack the thread, but how do you guys mix your rub so it is uniform consistency?

To keep blends with differing sizes of particulates, a small amount of oil added to blend with help the blend not to stratify (look like those sand art thingies)

You might want to check around locally for a commercial kitchen that leases time. Here in North Alabama there is one in or near Florence. I know of a few products that are made/packaged there. You do it, using their equipment, etc.... Gets you out of a fair amount of the overhead and red tape.

They can also guide you through the entire process from start to finish. If I remember correctly there is a Hot Sauce brand that is made there, and another is Cheese straws.

Just a thought, and good luck.

With the type of quantities you will be looking at, your spice supplier(s) should be glad to provide you with a quote for your formula (or part thereof).
Working with them will also give you a good idea on your product cost (at volume).
Most do their own packaging or work with packaging companies.
I do know that some proprietary product (like yours) have part of the recipe blended with one company and finished and package at another.

In some of our local restaurants, small seasoning companies have product on the tables for customers to try on their food or are used in their menu features.
It is an easy place to start.

I did some research on amazon a few years ago for a product we were taking to market (non-BBQ related), what I found, well, do your homework before jumping in on that one!

And yes, get some "credible feedback", Brethren, comp team opinion, or otherwise.
Just my .02.
Good Luck!!

I live in Lake Oswego.
Oregon Spice Co. located near PDX is a large wholesale supplier of spices. I won't give names, but they mix wholesale quantities of rubs, spices etc for many well known companies.
Paddy Black is the President
I have no financial or any other interest in the company
Michael

Wow, some really good info here. Thanks, everyone! Already loving this forum!! :clap2:

Here is what I did for the most part:

1. Give my critical testers at the day job samples and ask for their thoughts.
2. Send sample of approved critical testers blend to a sample of Brethren.
3. After feedback from above, prepare another sample based on the feedback and head back to your critical testers for feedback.
4. Once you are are happy with the mods from your test groups, find a co-packer, sign confidential statement and send sample with recipe.
5. Receive co-packer sample of your product and decide, if right or not.
6. You may have to get 2-3 samples before you are able to get a cost estimate on how much it would be to bring your product to market (it ain't cheap).
7. Once you are ready, get a business script here at the Brethren and get busy. You will have approximately one year to decide, if you are going to be competitive.

Worked for me. Regardless, if you take this mission on or not, this message will self-destruct after you open and read it! :razz:

Back