oink
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners(temp offline)
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-21-2006, 08:47 PM   #1
ZBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Question Fatties Help

Hey Guys!!

I was reading the posts about Fatties and the 3,2,1 method. I am going to try some of these here in a few days. They sound delicious.

What I was wondering is, what kind of wood do you use for the smoke? And, do you use a little apple juice when you foil? I was thinking that Pineapple would sound good too.

What about rub? Slather?

What is your favorite sausage for fatties? What rubs or juices would you pair with different flavors like maple, italian?

Thanks in advance,
Neil
[FONT=Palatino Linotype][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=blue][B][COLOR=red]Big Z's Sweet Gold[/COLOR] -[/B] [COLOR=black]R[/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Palatino Linotype][FONT=Georgia]ich honey mustard flavor with a BBQ kick. [/FONT][/FONT]
Great on chicken, burgers, brats, great on ribs too!
Get ya some @ [URL="http://www.greatlakesbbqsupply.com/product.sc?categoryId=3&productId=10"]Great Lakes BBQ Supply Co.[/URL]
[FONT=Palatino Linotype][FONT=Palatino Linotype]WSM, Weber Gasser, Weber OTG[/FONT]
[FONT=Palatino Linotype][FONT=Garamond][COLOR=black]"Tilly"[/COLOR][/FONT] - Spicewine Single Axle[/FONT]
[URL="http://www.facebook.com/pages/Big-Zs-Sweet-Gold/115561446787?ref=nf"][COLOR=#810081]http://www.facebook.com/pages/Big-Zs-Sweet-Gold/115561446787?ref=nf[/COLOR][/URL]

[/FONT]
ZBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-21-2006, 09:07 PM   #2
Ron_L

Hi Neil! Yes to all of your questions...

Seriously, I think you'll find that we've tried just about everything you've mentioned. Personally, I like the Jimmy Dean Maple, but JD Regular and the Bob Evans brand are also good. I've tried a bunch of different rubs. For the Maple, I like them plain or with a sweet rub. For the others, just about anything goes! Foiling is good, with or without juice, but I usually cook them to 160-165 internal and don't bother with the foil.

As far as wood, I usually cook fatties with something else, so I choose the wood based on the main meat.

The Naked Fatty!

***Annual Chicago Area Brethren Picnic! Join us!!!***

Southern Q Limo Elite Gravity Fed/FEC-100/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Nomad Pellet-matic/Good-One Model 42/WSM X 2/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/UDS/Coffee Roasting Gasser
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 01-22-2006, 06:40 AM   #3
cabo
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L
Hi Neil! Yes to all of your questions...

Seriously, I think you'll find that we've tried just about everything you've mentioned. Personally, I like the Jimmy Dean Maple, but JD Regular and the Bob Evans brand are also good. I've tried a bunch of different rubs. For the Maple, I like them plain or with a sweet rub. For the others, just about anything goes! Foiling is good, with or without juice, but I usually cook them to 160-165 internal and don't bother with the foil.

As far as wood, I usually cook fatties with something else, so I choose the wood based on the main meat.

Pretty much YUP, to everything Ron said.

Fatties started out as an experiment that well, just took off, and a lot of us are still experimenting. I believe, I’ve even seen posts about injecting some of the larger ones.
The original idea was to cook up some fatties as a snack food while waiting for the main course to get done. Then all of a sudden it was, cooking up some fatties for future use as breakfast, sausage biscuits, etc. They freeze pretty well too.
It wouldn’t surprise me if they got their own category in some competitions.
Just have fun, enjoy, and tell us how they turned out, and share what you did to them.
N.B. 'Dera (modified), gone to another place (RIP), ECCG (el cheapo charcoal grill), an Alveron propane, and wood hog cooker, bullitt type smokers, a GM Jim Bowie, a turkey fryer, and a pretty well stocked kitchen.

Cabo

Old 01-22-2006, 09:16 AM   #4
JohnMcD348
is One Chatty Farker

OK guys, please pardon the ignorance level here. What exactly is classified as a fatty? Is it the roll sausage that not yet cut or is it sausage links in general? I originally was thinging it was pretty much any large sausage but am now thinking along the line of it being a patty type that hasn't been cut up yet.
Help me out here guys, I'm a little greener than I thought I was. Still alot to learn...

JTMcD.

We sleep peaceful in our beds because Rough Men stand ready in the night to visit violence upon those who would do us harm.......G. Orwell

Brinkman Smoke King Deluxe, The Famous StudeDera, Weber Smokey Joe Gold and Platinum, Brinkman Professional Grill, Brinkman ECB and 2 Weber Smoky Mountians
JohnMcD348 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-22-2006, 09:24 AM   #5
Kevin
Quintessential Chatty Farker

A fatty is normaly a 12oz. to 2 pound roll of bulk sausage with no casing.
Jimmy Dean, Evan's, a lot of brands.

The smaller links have a different name in Tejas.
I'll let one of those fellows splain that one.

Old 01-22-2006, 09:28 AM   #6
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMcD348
OK guys, please pardon the ignorance level here. What exactly is classified as a fatty? Is it the roll sausage that not yet cut or is it sausage links in general? I originally was thinging it was pretty much any large sausage but am now thinking along the line of it being a patty type that hasn't been cut up yet.
Help me out here guys, I'm a little greener than I thought I was. Still alot to learn...

JTMcD.
I THINK that most of us are using the 1# or 2# plastic wrapped sausages when we refer to Fatties.
But, the "fattie" techniques could be applied to almost any type of large sausage logs, I guess.
The tiny breakfast sausages have picked up the "Puppy Peter" moniker whether cooked alone or stuffed into peppers or whatever

We really don't have a definitive "Brethren Dictionary".....yet

TIM
Now cooking with a Yoder YS640
Proud Pellet guy cooking on real wood.
The_Kapn is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 01-22-2006, 10:03 AM   #7
kcquer
Lives in Spirit

I don't rub fatties often, and not too much when I do. Something with enough sugar in it to crust up, sorta like the crust you get when you fry patties.
I don't 3-2-1 or wrap (i've tried it and it's ok) but the meat is ground doesn't need the foil time for tenderness and removing when done keeps the product moist.

Italian fatties are great crumbled into red sauce for pasta or in a lasagna recipe.
Like most here, I'm partial to JD hot, and maple is very good too. Cheap store brands can be any thing from great to awful, you just have to try them and see.
For juice, I guess you could use about anything, but you cant' go wrong with apple on pork. Start with that and experiment as you go. Have fun with it, even mistakes taste great on a biscuit!
kcquer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-22-2006, 10:33 AM   #8
brdbbq
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Probably take a flogging for this but they don't do much for me.
brdbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-22-2006, 10:42 AM   #9
stan
is one Smokin' Farker

I do not use any rub or juice when I foil.

I like all different kinds of sausage the wife likes Owens Italian Sausage. I put one everytime I fire up the smoker.
County Line Smokers Competition BBQ Team
KCBS Member - CBJ #20654
Pitmaker BBQ Vault mounted in a 12 Foot Competition Trailer
22 1/2 Weber Kettle, Stainless Steel gaser
chunks of wild cherry, pecan, oak
stan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-22-2006, 10:57 AM   #10
boatnut
is One Chatty Farker

Default first fattie this morning

I bought a log of bob evans maple, put just a dusting of rub on it and put it on the top shelf of my smoker. Then i put a shoulder on the next rack down.
Took it off after 3.5 hrs (pecan smoke). Was awesome! kids loved it. I think i'd go with regular or hot next time though as was a tad on sweet side for me, but still delicous. The shoulder's still cooking :)
boatnut is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-22-2006, 11:39 AM   #11
cabo
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by brdbbq
Probably take a flogging for this but they don't do much for me.
Uhuh, Your right for once, Flog, Flog, Flog.
N.B. 'Dera (modified), gone to another place (RIP), ECCG (el cheapo charcoal grill), an Alveron propane, and wood hog cooker, bullitt type smokers, a GM Jim Bowie, a turkey fryer, and a pretty well stocked kitchen.

Cabo

Old 01-22-2006, 11:51 AM   #12
Bigdog
somebody shut me the fark up.

You can do what ever you want to a fatty. They are probaly one of the easiest and most versitile meats to cook. But just remember this one thing, one of the best things about them is you don't even need to do a thing to them and the come out great, as long as you don't over cook them. I also reccomend using a quality sausage. JD is my personal favorite.
Pitman for Andy Groneman at the All Things BBQ cooking classes.
Smoke on Brother KC
Father of the Fatty (the name) 4/20/04 on the BBQ Brethren with inspiration from Brother parrothead.
Bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-22-2006, 11:59 AM   #13
cabo
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdog
You can do what ever you want to a fatty. They are probaly one of the easiest and most versitile meats to cook. But just remember this one thing, one of the best things about them is you don't even need to do a thing to them and the come out great, as long as you don't over cook them. I also reccomend using a quality sausage. JD is my personal favorite.

Again YUP!!! to what Mr. Bigdog says

Cabo

Old 01-22-2006, 01:08 PM   #14
Ron_L

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabo
Again YUP!!! to what Mr. Bigdog says
Shouldn't that be WOOF! ?

One addendum to my earlier post... I did find a couple of JD fatties that I didn't really like. The new JD Seriously Bold and Sderiously Hot. The Bold had too much seasoning and it was overpowering, and the hot was too hot (I like hot stuff, but I also like to taste the sausage flavors).

The Naked Fatty!

***Annual Chicago Area Brethren Picnic! Join us!!!***

Southern Q Limo Elite Gravity Fed/FEC-100/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Nomad Pellet-matic/Good-One Model 42/WSM X 2/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/UDS/Coffee Roasting Gasser
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 01-22-2006, 01:20 PM   #15
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

My personal preference.. I like the Jones Breakfast fattie or the Parks much better. They are both a finer grind. Not to thrilled with the course grinds of the Jimmy Deans and I'm with Brian, they do much for me..I do them more out of "tradition" than anything else and them let others enjoy them.

Now.. smoked Johnsonville links, or small breakfast links.. i can eat pounds of them.!! On a biscuit.... with gravy.......oh man, now im hungry.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Klose built MoAB (Mother of All Banderas) passed on to Big Dog, 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 1 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Pit Barrel Cooker, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote