Cooper's BBQ in Llano, Tx

jgh1204

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Spent the night in Burnet, Tx(BURN it, not Bur NET) so made the trek over to Llano. My Uncle runs a hardware store in Llano so he eats there about once a week.

He tells the story of being behind people who over order and end up spending $50.

Anyway, It was me, my uncle and my mom. We overordered and spent $35.

Brisket - very tender, moist, not a lot of smoke taste.
Spareribs - good flavor, but tough, not quite done yet.
Sausage - very good
Pork Loin - good, but a little dry.
Sauce - thin tomato/vineger - not too bad.

We did not bother ordering any sides other than the free pinto beans which were ok.

Cooper's rub is basically salt and pepper, so I passed on buying a bottle.

My mom, who really does not like bbq, said the sausage was the only thing decent and the brisket and ribs were not near as good as mine. :p

Hello JGH, this confirms my belief that you can make better BBQ at home any day you choose than the best commercial Q joint can make all year long. Home Q RULES!!!:grin: Thanks for sharing.

I had a hunting lease in Llano and we used to stop there and trade deer hides for brisket on Sunday when we would head for home. We would eat and watch football and I must say that I could not have had a better meal. I guess it depends on your appetite. I was always ready to go eat there on Sundays.
I am sorry to hear you had a bad experience there.

Mark P.

I agree with Mark P. Ya must have hit a bad day. Cooper's in Llano is great Q in my book. Of course, last time there was two years ago so it might be different now.

I would not say it was a bad experience. As far as commercial bbq goes, it was very good. It was 11:15AM when we got there, so the ribs would have been better an hour later or so.

I have never been to the one in Llano but I have been to the one in Round Rock. I believe this is a relative (son maybe) of the original Coopers in Mason.

The one in Round Rock was pretty good. I was there for dinner and the brisket was a little dry but that was from being in the warmer for a long period of time. All had good flavor. Great beans though!

ZILLA said:
Hello JGH, this confirms my belief that you can make better BBQ at home any day you choose than the best commercial Q joint can make all year long. Home Q RULES!!!:grin: Thanks for sharing.

Ain't it the truth! I have never been real crazy about most Q out, with some exceptions of course, but the Q I have been making at home has been better than at least 90% of the Q I have ever eaten out.

I'm bringing this thread back to the top of the list .... one of my cookin' buddies is headed to Llano soon. Anyone been to Coopers lately OR does anyone have any other top choices??

Back