喫煙者
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 03-05-2013, 11:17 AM   #1
nucornhusker
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 4
Uploads: 0
Default My new Yoder YS640

Well, after over a year of research and saving, I got my new cooker. I wanted to get a pellet fired unit so I could smoke food while spending time with my family, and also grill on it if I wanted to. I’ve been eyeing the Yoders for over a year now, and after deciding on which of their three cookers I wanted and wouldn't break the bank (I would have loved the YS1320) , I decided on the YS640 and ordered it in early February.

This thing is built like an absolute tank, and it is much more impressive in person than it is looking at pictures.

I had a few options added. A custom tool hanger and probe ports, as well as the door therms you see above. The therms aren’t needed at all, but I just liked the look.

I ordered expanded steel grates for the bottom grill surface as well, but I was mis-shipped the regular rolled bar grates. Yoder already sent me the expanded grates.

Any new grill I get, the first cook is steak. Any new smoker I get, the first cook is ribs. So for my first two cooks, I did steak one day, ribs the next.

Pretty good grill marks for a pellet grill. I cooked these at 525*. It was a completely different texture than cooking steaks over charcoal. The meat still felt loose like it was raw, but it was cooked just right. It was very juicy and very tender. You can see how tender it is by the way it's bending over my fork. It doesn’t get a great sear, but the flavor and texture was amazing! If I want a better sear, I can just buy Grill Grates and cook directly over the fire. A great option that the Yoder pellet grills offer.

----------------------------------

Ribs rubbed down. The back rack is my comp rub, next is my personal favorite, plain old salt and pepper, then the front two are SM Cherry. One of my assistants was overseeing operations in the background. He knows if Dad is working at that counter, good food is on it's way later.

I cooked in four different areas so I could get a sense of how even the heat distribution is. No cooker is perfect, but this did a pretty good job.

Great color, tender and juicy and pretty good smoke flavor using Lumberjack pellets. The rib looks a little dry in the picture, but is was not dry at all. This is my first cooker with a second shelf, so I need to learn how to deal with drippings falling and making dark spots on the food below.

Instead of the usually intermittent puff of smoke I’ve seen from a few other pellet grills, this puts out TBS over the whole cook, and it almost smells like I’m using my stickburner or KJ. I was very impressed with how it smokes food. And it puts out good smoke even at 400*. Having said that, I don't like the heavy smoke flavor you can get from some charcoal smokers, so this was just fine with us.

It’s only been a few days and I know I’m still in the “Honeymoon Phase”, but I’m really liking this cooker so far. I would highly recommend it to anyone interested in a pellet grill.

Yoder’s and All Things Barbecue’s customer service has been top notch. They are great to work with and will answer all of your questions. And I asked a lot of questions. I will do business with them again in the future.
Yoder Smokers YS1500, Kamado Joe BigJoe & Joe Jr., Weber: 18.5" OT(L), SJG(AU) & (DI) - Past Cookers: Yoder Smokers YS640 Comp Cart, Kamado Joe Classic, OKJoe's Longhorn, UDS, Weber: Performer(AA), Genesis Gold C(DH), 22.5" OTG(DI), 22.5" OT(L)

IMBAS Certified MOINK Baller
nucornhusker is offline   Reply With Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from: --->
Unread 03-05-2013, 11:24 AM   #2
Wrench_H
is one Smokin' Farker

Downloads: 0

Nice, all your food looks great. I've never cooked on one of those or even seen one in person, but they are sharp looking grills. I really like the design of it. Congrats, and put that thing to work.

CharGriller Smokin Pro, King Kooker Cast Propane Smoker, Smokey Joe Silver, Blue Mosaic Kamado, Traeger 075(Somehow I now have 2 of these), Weber Performer, BW Fatboy, Char Griller Akorn

Multiple Time Zero Member

Try the Throwdowns - MMMMM...tastes like liquid crystal
Wrench_H is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 03-05-2013, 11:40 AM   #3
Bluesman
Babbling Farker

Great post. Food looks outstanding. Looks like you got a fine little helper as well.
Weber Q200
1983 WGA
Early 70's Red Weber Statesman
1995 Red Weber Master Touch
2010 Brick Red Touch n' Go Performer
Bluesman is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-05-2013, 01:26 PM   #4
Goddahavit
is one Smokin' Farker

love the orange!! nice cooker indeed
Stumps Platinum 5 on a porch trailer
Backyard Jambo
Stump's Stretch
Bubba Keg
Weber WSM
Old weber gasser
Uuni pellet fired pizza oven
Goddahavit is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-05-2013, 03:34 PM   #5
IamMadMan
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Nice Looking Rig and Great Looking Food....

I was looking at a YS1320.... But may have an interest in a used Backwoods Pro Jr listed by Brethren.

The Pro Jr is more than I need, but if the price is right, hey I'll go for it.

Unread 03-05-2013, 03:52 PM   #6
JandJbuidasmoker
Full Fledged Farker

Did the Supervisor get his share of deliciousness?? Great looking setup! I like the ports for therm.
JandJbuidasmoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-05-2013, 03:57 PM   #7
hamiltont
is One Chatty Farker

Looks AWESOME, the cooker & the food. You should have many, many years of enjoyment from that investment. Cheers!!!

Unread 03-05-2013, 04:11 PM   #8
smokinit
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 3

Sweet all the way around!!

Unread 03-05-2013, 04:14 PM   #9
Show me smoke
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Nice the probe ports should be standard..great idea... I have had my 640 now for about 2 months love it..
Show me smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-05-2013, 04:19 PM   #10
Show me smoke
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

What are those probe holes made of...? is it something that could be retrofited onto mine...or Could buy someplace?
Show me smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-05-2013, 04:22 PM   #11
Smokin Ribs
Full Fledged Farker

Looks great, I'll have some please!!

Unread 03-05-2013, 04:34 PM   #12
jmoney7269
Banned

Nice lookin smoker! Them front 2 ribs with the sm cherry did you use molasses glue? They got a pretty color to em
jmoney7269 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-05-2013, 09:28 PM   #13
nucornhusker
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Show me smoke View Post
What are those probe holes made of...? is it something that could be retrofited onto mine...or Could buy someplace?
Call Don at Yoder. I'm sure he could sell you the ports and you could drill them in. They are nice because there is a little gasket in them that expands as you unscrew, and contracts as you screw it down, so you can seal it back up a bit once the probes are run though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoney7269 View Post
Nice lookin smoker! Them front 2 ribs with the sm cherry did you use molasses glue? They got a pretty color to em
Thanks, just straight SM Cherry on them as pictured rubbed. I sauced one of them for my wife, and left one dry for me. The other sauced rack is my comp recipe.
Yoder Smokers YS1500, Kamado Joe BigJoe & Joe Jr., Weber: 18.5" OT(L), SJG(AU) & (DI) - Past Cookers: Yoder Smokers YS640 Comp Cart, Kamado Joe Classic, OKJoe's Longhorn, UDS, Weber: Performer(AA), Genesis Gold C(DH), 22.5" OTG(DI), 22.5" OT(L)

Unread 03-05-2013, 09:57 PM   #14
nucornhusker
Babbling Farker

I also forgot to mention how quiet it is. I've been around a few other brands of pellet grills, and you can barely tell the Yoder is even on when it's running. It was a very pleasant shock to me just how quiet it really is. You really don't even hear it unless you are trying to.

Unread 03-05-2013, 10:11 PM   #15
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts

Thanks for posting. That is an absolutely beautiful toy!
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is offline   Reply With Quote