The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 02-17-2013, 11:54 AM   #1
Busaboyjd
Found some matches.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Hour 13 of my first smoked Butt

Wow! 189 degrees, is 195 the magic number where you can shake a fork at it and it falls apart? Got foil and a cooler ready for a 2 hour cool down, but these last few degrees is making me hungry!
JD
Busaboyjd is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-17-2013, 11:57 AM   #2
Nate749
Got Wood.

13 hours!!! wow so close but wait those few degrees and foil into cooler!! get some pictures up!
Nate749 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-17-2013, 11:57 AM   #3
Kloogee
Full Fledged Farker

I think the main message you'll hear from the experts on here is that there is no magic number. It's all about feel. Many people like to probe with a thermo and if it feels like butter, then it's ready. Others say wiggle the bone and if its ready to slide out cleanly then it's ready. I think the "usual" range most people say that happens is around the 195-205 range but is different for each hunk of meat.

Good luck!
Kloogee is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-17-2013, 11:58 AM   #4
BBQ Bandit
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 1

The key is probe tender - all the way to the center. If you feel resistance close to the core, needs more time on the cooker.
If there is a bone... check for wiggle like a very loose tooth.
Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Former smokers;
Lang 60 Mobile - The Damsel II, Lang 48 Patio - The Damsel, Bubba Keg Grill - RIP, Double Barrel Smoker and a BSKD
BBQ Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-17-2013, 12:09 PM   #5
Bludawg
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Grab bone it it feel loose it's done and that don't normally happen until 200-205

Unread 02-17-2013, 12:16 PM   #6
IamMadMan
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kloogee View Post
I think the main message you'll hear from the experts on here is that there is no magic number. It's all about feel. Many people like to probe with a thermo and if it feels like butter, then it's ready. Others say wiggle the bone and if its ready to slide out cleanly then it's ready. I think the "usual" range most people say that happens is around the 195-205 range but is different for each hunk of meat.

Good luck!

Well stated "Kloogee"

Unread 02-17-2013, 12:21 PM   #7
Busaboyjd
Found some matches.

Um, 191, sooo close!

Bandit, I am using an old gas Brinkman, so I,m real hesitant to lift the lid, that cools it way down and will put me way behind... maybe. Outside temp is coming up, allmost 28 now so maybe it,ill zip on up to 195 in the next half hour or so... its all most time for some whiskey anyway.

Nate, can't seem to figure out pics without having a URL to them? But will post if I get that figured out.
Busaboyjd is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-17-2013, 12:23 PM   #8
HeSmellsLikeSmoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

As a matter of interest, what pit are you using and at what temperature?

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-17-2013, 12:26 PM   #9
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

I understand your hesitance to open the cooker now--you are correct about the heat loss.

I would simply pull the butt at this point and put it in a pan (foil covered or not) and into the oven.
Then you can check for PROBE TENDER easily!
TEMPS don't mean squat--it is a probe test that will give you the correct donemess.

Gonna be Great Eats when you are done!!

TIM
Now cooking with a Yoder YS640
Proud Pellet guy cooking on real wood.
The_Kapn is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-17-2013, 12:29 PM   #10
Kloogee
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busaboyjd View Post
Um, 191, sooo close!

Bandit, I am using an old gas Brinkman, so I,m real hesitant to lift the lid, that cools it way down and will put me way behind... maybe. Outside temp is coming up, allmost 28 now so maybe it,ill zip on up to 195 in the next half hour or so... its all most time for some whiskey anyway.

Nate, can't seem to figure out pics without having a URL to them? But will post if I get that figured out.
I think you'll find closer to 200-205 is probably going to be closer to what you are looking for. If using a Brinkman that you'll have a hard time getting back up to temp, I personally would wait until 200 to open it and feel it. I'm sure you'll get 1000 different opinions on that though. The great thing about BBQ is that it's not a one size fits all!

If you have a smartphone, Photobucket is your friend. Makes it super simple to upload pics from your phone to their site from their app and then it gives you a link you can embed here.

Good luck finishing your cook! I'm sure it will be fantastic.

Unread 02-17-2013, 12:33 PM   #11
Kloogee
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Kapn View Post
I understand your hesitance to open the cooker now--you are correct about the heat loss.

I would simply pull the butt at this point and put it in a pan (foil covered or not) and into the oven.
Then you can check for PROBE TENDER easily!
TEMPS don't mean squat--it is a probe test that will give you the correct donemess.

Gonna be Great Eats when you are done!!

TIM
I know it's just me and my stubbornness, but that seems a bit like cheating. I know it's not, and it won't change the flavor profile at all, so it is a very reasonable recommendation. But it's still cheating.

Unread 02-17-2013, 12:38 PM   #12
Bludawg
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
I know it's just me and my stubbornness, but that seems a bit like cheating. I know it's not, and it won't change the flavor profile at all, so it is a very reasonable recommendation. But it's still cheating.
AH a man of principles.... I'm not alone yea haw!

Unread 02-17-2013, 12:39 PM   #13
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

I have cooked on gassers, they will lose temperature when you open them, but, they have these cool dial thingies, you can use it to dial in the fire. So, open, test by wiggling the bone, then close and pump the heat up a little. You will be fine. Do not go by internal, it will mislead you almost every time. You have to learn to go by feel.

I also use a pull method, I just reach in, grab the but and tear it a bit, if it tears easily, then I pull and wrap. Feel, not internal temperature.

Whip It Off, Chambers!

"perhaps...but then again...maybe not..."
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-17-2013, 12:46 PM   #14
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludawg View Post
AH a man of principles.... I'm not alone yea haw!
These guys are right!
I lost my head for minute and forgot that someone else's principles are far more important than good BBQ results.

Please forgive me.

Good Luck.

TIM
Now cooking with a Yoder YS640
Proud Pellet guy cooking on real wood.
The_Kapn is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-17-2013, 12:58 PM   #15
ButtBurner
is Blowin Smoke!

Downloads: 2

all butts are different, I go by feel. My last one was pulled at 190f

and I just last week bought a Maverick, it reads 10f hotter than my engineering grade unit reads.

just go by feel

heres a pic. The top temp on the Fluke is the probe thats right next to the Maverick on my pit. This was yesterday before lighting my pit. I knew the temp was not 36f, so I pulled out my trusty Fluke to verify

just pointing out you cant trust that completely.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0478.jpg (62.9 KB, 116 views)
ButtBurner is offline   Reply With Quote