The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 02-16-2013, 05:47 AM   #1
bigbeef24
Full Fledged Farker

Default sauces for competition

How much consideration is given for your sauces in competitions? It seems to me it would be difficult because some may like sweet, hot, vinegar or salty.

Thanks,
Bigbeef24

Big Pappa UDS
bigbeef24 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2013, 08:12 AM   #2
Mr C
Got rid of the matchlight.

I did my first year of competing last year and the thing I noticed most about sauces was the appearance and consistency is as if not more important then the flavor set you go with. With so many different likes in flavor I would go with one you like that complaments the meat. I would also try to get a good color and light consistant coverage so it does not prevent the judges from seeing the meat under it.
Mr C is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2013, 08:41 AM   #3
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbeef24 View Post
How much consideration is given for your sauces in competitions? It seems to me it would be difficult because some may like sweet, hot, vinegar or salty.

Thanks,
Bigbeef24

Big Pappa UDS
Lots and lots of consideration. For this reason I present a very balanced though, not too much of anything you said above. IF the sanctioning body allows sauce on-the-side, I suggest doing that, as it gives the judge an option as to how much sauce he/she likes. IF the sanctioning body allows multiple sauces on the side, use this too to give them choices.

Usually, not every time, but most times, around here the sauce put on lightly to medium (not heavily and/or thick) does best. They saying "its not a sauce competition" applies. However, there's always been exceptions. I've seen a couple of ribs slathering in a thick overbearing awesome sauce win...

Many, MANY times BBQ is presented with sauce that doesnt go well with the injections/rubs being used. Make sure you've "married" these, if you will. Tendencies being tendencies, around here the vinegar and mustard based sauces dont do as well. About a year ago I was at a table where one presented their mustard sauce on the side. This was probably the best mustard sauce I've had in 20 or more years, but it conflicted badly with the rub used on their BBQ. Funny though, at that same table (we found this out AFTER judging), there was a fairly bland entry that was cooked very well that with just a tiny dab of this mustard sauce really popped.
Started competing in chili cookoffs back in the 1990's and have competed in more than I care to count. I became a CBJ in MiM in 2005, then MBN and in GBA in 2010. I've probably judged 130+- BBQ comps (sanctioned and unsanctioned) over this time. That said, I really enjoy competing more than I enjoy judging, and hope to get back to doing 4 or 5 a year in the near future.
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote