The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 02-15-2013, 11:34 AM   #1
chilidog
Knows what a fatty is.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Grinding Sausage

Does anybody have any experience grinding sausage right into casings?
I have a 32 grinder and I season the meat then grind the first time with a chili plate then grind again with a sausage plate . If I put the stuffing tube on the grinder it grinds it up into a slime. I guess it is too hard to push the ground sausage through the stuffing tube and if just keeps grinding on it.
It would be a lot simpler if I could grind it right into casings and not have to crank the stuffer!
chilidog is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-15-2013, 11:46 AM   #2
BobBrisket

I tried using the grinder ONCE to grind and then stuff. That's why I only did it that one time. It was a major pain and mess. After that, I bought a separate stuffer. It makes process MUCH easier.
I'd recommend getting a stuffer.
UDS, Pit Barrel Cooker-Courtesy of Poobah, WSM, 22.5 Weber Kettles-K and DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver B, Lil' Chief Smoker, Lodge Sportman Grill, Backyard Fire Pit, Dutch Ovens, Discada Set Up!
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver

My BEST Compliment......"You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son.
Git Smokin, Dan!
BobBrisket is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 02-15-2013, 11:52 AM   #3
jmcrig
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Have to agree with BobBrisket.
jmcrig is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-15-2013, 11:53 AM   #4
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.

Downloads: 2

Seems to me grinding and stuffing are two different parts of the process and best left that way. Plus mixing between the grinding and the stuffing helps with texture and distribution of spices. Also, I like to fry up a patty and get an idea of what the flavor is - it'll change a little after stuffing, smoking, etc. but I'll know whether or not I'm on the right track and can adjust seasoning if necessary.
50" Klose BYC, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Jumbo Old Smokey, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
Golden Goose Egg - Got 2 in the nest baby!
SPFP
Mayzie's keeping an eye out for you!
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-15-2013, 12:01 PM   #5
BobBrisket

Also, I highly recommend a vertical type stuffer:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...hlight=grinder

I originally bought one like this:

It was not very good. It didn't seal very good at the plunger plate and the interior walls of the tube.
UDS, Pit Barrel Cooker-Courtesy of Poobah, WSM, 22.5 Weber Kettles-K and DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver B, Lil' Chief Smoker, Lodge Sportman Grill, Backyard Fire Pit, Dutch Ovens, Discada Set Up!
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver

My BEST Compliment......"You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son.
Git Smokin, Dan!
BobBrisket is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-15-2013, 05:50 PM   #6
IamMadMan
Babbling Farker

I agree, grinding and stuffing are two different functions, let alone the mixing stage in between them.

The horn type stuffers are ok for small batches, but they do not work well for smaller sausages like snack sticks.

Like "Bob Brisket" said I also would recommend a vertical stuffer. You can get the Weston stuffer under the "Realtree" label with free shipping at Realtree 7 Lb Stuffer.

Unread 02-15-2013, 06:01 PM   #7
chilidog
Knows what a fatty is.

I have an old stuffer that's probably been in the family 80 years. It still does a good job it is just hard to crank. My shoulders don't like turning the handle anymore!

Unread 02-16-2013, 06:16 PM   #8
Swine Spectator
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 1

chilidog,

Grinding and stuffing ARE separate functions. You can certainly use a grinder to stuff, HOWEVER, you need to use a spacer instead of a plate during stuffing.

See here:
http://www.sausagemaker.com/63285sta...32grinder.aspx

I have the Cabelas 11# stuffer and it works great. However, when I am making small (~5#) batches of sausage, I grind through plates and then switch to a spacer to stuff with the grinder.

David
The Swine Spectator

Certified IMBAS MOINK Baller!
Swine Spectator is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-16-2013, 06:53 PM   #9
chilidog
Knows what a fatty is.

Thanks David! That's just what I was looking for. My wife and I make sausage every year usually 50 pounds or so and that crank can get hard to turn.

Unread 02-16-2013, 07:03 PM   #10
J'ville Grill
is Blowin Smoke!

I got the Kitchener #12 meat grinder from Northern Tool. I have only used it once for grinding and stuffing and it actually worked quite well. I had my wife help me with the stuffing by feeding the meat into the hoppper while I managed the stuffing tube and casing.

Unread 02-16-2013, 07:59 PM   #11
bbqbull

Downloads: 1

I have a Cabelas 3/4 horsepower grinder. After we do the second grind and season the meat we use it as a stuffer and it works just fine. We also remove the grinder blade before stuffing the small and larger casings.

KC I miss your advice.

Heavily medicated for your protection.

Klose Mobile Pit
Klose Owners Reccomended Pit
Cookshack Smokette
Gasser
Little Chief Smoker
Large BGE
Gifted to me my Pit Barrel Smoker
bbqbull is offline   Reply With Quote