The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-11-2013, 08:20 AM   #1
hnd
Full Fledged Farker

Default Freezing Meat (Brisket Pr0n)

I have toyed around with numerous ways of freezing meat and i wanted to use brisket since its so fickle compared to say a pork butt.

i did it a number of different ways.

with the total intention of freezing, i smoked a flat to about 160. then pulled it. let it cool down and then froze it. expecting to be able to thaw it, throw it in the oven and cook until it released (hoping for 200-210). it never really released. it got to 212 before it really felt as loose as it was going to get. i didn't expect this to work, i just wanted to make sure .

it didn't. it tasted fine but really came out kind of tough

next flat i cut in half. 1 half i sliced all the way through and then vac sealed the slices and then also vac sealed the unsliced half. 4 mo went by and a few days ago we ate the slices.

i brought water to a boil and then turned it down to medium heat and placed the bag in the water. about 15-20 minutes later i pulled it and cut open the bag.

the brisket was good alot better than the 1/2 way cooked. about as good as brisket you get in a restaurant here.

last night we ate the unsliced one. same methodology, a little bit longer in the drink though to make sure it heated up all the way through.

much better. i've definitely have purchased worse brisket than this at bbq joints...especially around here.

I almost always have brisket left over. this was the prefered method. I will work on trying to maybe include something to add a bit more moisture to the interior of the bag but overall the bark was still nice, the pull was really good for the most part. not as moist as a right out of the cooler brisket but i would have no problem serving it up to other people.

i think from now on i'll forgo cutting up an entire brisket right off the bat. do enough to serve and slice more if needed.
hnd is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 02-11-2013, 09:16 AM   #2
code3rrt
Babbling Farker

I freeze a lot of little stuff in food saver bags, if I want extra moisture or liquid in the finished product I have 2 methods I use.

I put my product (in your case brisket) with a little of the drippings in the foodsaver bag, set it in the freezer for a while til it freezes, then vacuum seal.

Or I freeze the drippings, sauce, gravy or whatever into small cubes, then add those to the product before I vacuum seal.

I keep several of these in the freezer for work lunches, comes out great when reheated, and a real handy grab and go.

KC

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-11-2013, 09:24 AM   #3
KotaChuk678
On the road to being a farker

Good idea's, both of them. Seem's like we all overcook ( make more than actually needed) sometimes.

Old 02-11-2013, 11:35 AM   #4
chilidog
On the road to being a farker

I sliced brisket and vacum sealed and froze them last December. Yesterday took a package and put in boiling water til it was pretty much thawed and sliced the slices into small pieces then put in a pot and added beef broth (probably 6 or 8 ounces) and cooked until the meat was pretty much dried out then added BBQ sauce and cooked a little longer til that was pretty much dried out. Made chopped brisket sandwiches. Verry Verrry good!
My wife is not a big BBQ fan but she really liked this. It seems to really make it good if you put onions and sweet pickles on it.
Kevin
chilidog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-11-2013, 11:51 AM   #5
Wampus
somebody shut me the fark up.

Good stuff. Thanks for posting.

I usually just slice, eat and freeze slices with some au jous in the bag (vacuum sealed of course). This turns out pretty OK, but I've always wondered if there was any kind of study done.

Thanks again hnd.

"Oh, I don’t reject Christ. I love Christ. It’s just that so many of you Christians are so unlike Christ."
-Mahatma Gandhi
Wampus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-12-2013, 07:44 AM   #6
captndan
Babbling Farker

I use a baggie press out the air and triple wrap in commercial film. Never had a problem. Baggie because my vacuum seal ain't worth a chit.
captndan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-12-2013, 07:52 AM   #7
Gary in Va
Knows what a fatty is.

I do this all the time...
Foil flat at 170
Bring up to 200-210 (when it's done)
Wrap again so you don't loose any juices
Into cooler or cambro for 2 hours
Then let it cool for 2 days in a cold cold fridge
slice cold (slicing is tough when cold, so have a large knife you can push through the meat)
put slices in foodsaver bags with the "meat Jelly" that forms in the foil and any coagulated grease
freeze
reheat in boiling water

the reason I let it cool for 2 days in fridge is that I believe as it cools it pulls some of the juices from the foil back into the meat.

"You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning"
Gary in Va is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-12-2013, 08:10 AM   #8
dwfisk
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Dave

Good thread, lots of really good info.
dwfisk is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 02-12-2013, 08:22 AM   #9
code3rrt
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary in Va View Post
I do this all the time...
Foil flat at 170
Bring up to 200-210 (when it's done)
Wrap again so you don't loose any juices
Into cooler or cambro for 2 hours
Then let it cool for 2 days in a cold cold fridge
slice cold (slicing is tough when cold, so have a large knife you can push through the meat)
put slices in foodsaver bags with the "meat Jelly" that forms in the foil and any coagulated grease
freeze
reheat in boiling water

the reason I let it cool for 2 days in fridge is that I believe as it cools it pulls some of the juices from the foil back into the meat.
I may have to try this too, my concern was that the gel would get sucked out. Sounds like it is thick enough that that doesn't happen.