Help me pick a therm for my mini wsm

I've seen a lot of mini wsm build threads. In nearly every one, the builder obsesses over thermometers. Then, when all is said and done, in 90% of the cases, the thermo is off, placed in the wrong spot, hard to read, fogs up or what have you, and the builder ends up going with a remote probe. So my advice to you would be to skip the installed thermo and go with a remote from the start.

I put mine in the lid which was not a good idea. Mount yours in the mid section like others I've seen.

The ones I looked at had a 2 1/2" probe. That should be sufficient.

I have an ET-73 and ET-732 that I use when I smoke. When I was using those on a bigger smoker, the lid thermometer was good enough. I had enough experience using it in tandem with one of the other thermometers that I could work with the readings.

I put a couple of Chinese made "F&C 2" Barbecues BBQ Smoker Pit Grill Thermometer"s on my WSMs. They have a 2 1/2" stem. They are inexpensive and work fine.
The ones you linked to are similar, and will work well.

I'd nix a thermo on a Mini and opt for a grommet for grate and meat probes. I just use a Weber 2.5" grill thermo inserted in a lid vent to monitor dome temps.

I used a Taylor candy thermo I P/u at the hardware store for 7 bucks very responsive and extremely accurate. Comes with a retention clip and a 6" stem.

DSCN0728.jpg

DSCN0725.jpg

I used a Taylor candy thermo I P/u at the hardware store for 7 bucks very responsive and extremely accurate. Comes with a retention clip and a 6" stem.

DSCN0728.jpg

i like that. nice clean look to it.

I've seen a lot of mini wsm build threads. In nearly every one, the builder obsesses over thermometers. Then, when all is said and done, in 90% of the cases, the thermo is off, placed in the wrong spot, hard to read, fogs up or what have you, and the builder ends up going with a remote probe. So my advice to you would be to skip the installed thermo and go with a remote from the start.

I was planning on also using my et 732 through the vents in the lid or by making some sort of mod, but I figured I would also include a built in thermometer as well.

I really like the look of that gator pit thermometer.

Last edited:
I picked some off Ebay for less than $10 each to use in the minis that I have built. For me, they are only a backup. Given the small size of the mini WSM, unless you mount it on the lid or set the entire smoker up on top of something, the thermometer is so low to the ground that reading it is very difficult. I installed the little eyelets from BBQ Guru so I can use the Maverick probes. Something else to consider is the length of the stem as well as the placement of the thermometer itself because the longer it is the more difficult it will be to get grate(s) in and out around it.

IMAG0932_zps11f4b543.jpg

IMAG0979_zps1c667fae.jpg

Back