• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Go against the Big Boys or Go for the Easier Win

Granny's Gang Barbeque

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
Hypothetical Question: You have a choice of two upcoming competitions. One competition you know will have some pretty strong teams, actually some of the best in the area. The second competition does not feature the same caliber of teams as the first. State championships are on the line at both competitions.
Would you:
Compete against the stronger teams to see how you measure up, and face less of a chance at a championship.
Or
Compete in the competition that gave you better chances for Grand Champion.

This is a personal choice. On one hand you have the a better chance to win some money to help offset your costs and maybe get a Jack draw/ royal invitation. On the other hand if you want to be the best you have to beat the best.

I believe you have to ask a few more questions before tackling something like this.

-What are you really trying to accomplish? Getting a GC or evaluating your skills/competing against other teams?
-How do you know the "stronger" teams aren't going to be at the other contest also?
-Which one makes the most logistical and financial sense to attend?
-Will both contests have enough teams to be qualifers for the AR and/or the Jack?

Not trying to discourage you, you should do what is best for you and team. Nothing is guaranteed, you could get shut out at both events, OR you stand a great chance of walking at either event. Do what is comfortable, and most importantly, HAVE FUN!!!

-How do you know the "stronger" teams aren't going to be at the other contest also?
-Which one makes the most logistical and financial sense to attend?

Nothing is guaranteed, you could get shut out at both events, OR you stand a great chance of walking at either event. Do what is comfortable, and most importantly, HAVE FUN!!!

^^ See the above.

I suspect should you choose the perceived "weaker" event at some point you will say.."what the hell are they doing here.."

Expensive hobby for sure, logistical and financial have to jive. Focus on having fun, the rest will fall into place.

It's a coin toss because you are not guaranteed to win the "easier" contest either. Sometimes this hobby is like the NFL. On any given Saturday or Sunday..............you know the rest.

Cook the stronger contest and if you don't win you'll feel a little better maybe.

Buaaahahahahahahahahahaha !!!..

there is no such contest!!!...

They are all HARD!.. about 10 years ago, you could think like that, but these days the caliber of the competition is stiff... just because you may not recognise a few names, doesn't mean they've not been to a few classes, practiced their a$$ off and can wax you and everyone else!!.. Which ever one is closer, and/or more prize money, you can access your benefit to risk ratio.

Doesn't matter. The fact that you ask this question, IMHO means that you've already lost.

Now, no matter which contest you do, at some point you're going to end up thinking, "I should have gone to the other one."

I'd go for the fun, that is, pick which one we'd have more fun at. Anything after that is gravy, or sauce, or whatever.

Buaaahahahahahahahahahaha !!!..

there is no such contest!!!...

They are all HARD!.. about 10 years ago, you could think like that, but these days the caliber of the competition is stiff... just because you may not recognise a few names, doesn't mean they've not been to a few classes, practiced their a$$ off and can wax you and everyone else!!.. Which ever one is closer, and/or more prize money, you can access your benefit to risk ratio.

Amen! Be pleased with a call.....be surprised with a win no matter where you are competing, good good times is what you're chasing.

Might depend on where in the season you are, perhaps you get tired of having the same team, or teams kick your ass and want to meet some new teams or change it up.

On the other hand perhaps your gung ho and are ready to see how you stack up.. No wrong answers in my book, as long as your having fun.

I can say after loosing over and over to the team of the year, that it didn't and doesn't matter who is at a contest, I choose the best weekends for my family, and sometimes the ones with friends that I know I will have a good time at, doesn't matter who is there. Sometimes we step out and try a new contest for us, but that isnt because of the competition.

Its all up to judge # 6 so on any given day......

Pick the contest that you know your food will land on the luckiest tables of judges.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with making a decision between two contests, nor with making that decision based (in part) on the number and caliber of teams competing. Not considering that shows that you just don't care about results and you're there for an expensive drinking party. (Yes, I was being sarcastic by responding to a generalization with one). No need to call the OP a loser for thinking things through and asking questions.

dmp

I would rather evaluate my team at the stronger contest. Also, if you walked, the payout would probably be better because that is what drew the strong teams to begin with.

The level of competition has no bearing on which contests we compete.
Kind of makes you feel like Lumpy Rutheford sometimes but the good teams like Smokey D's will at least talk to us now. :)

My choices for my last comp. in 2012 was very similar. However, for me I was looking at it from a perspective of measuring myself against other teams. I knew if I went against the stronger teams and didn't place, I wouldn't really know how my comp. skills were progressing (like a bunch of comps I did before) and I would leave pondering what I had to do to place, long drive home type of thing. So I ended up doing the "weaker comp", however when I showed up there were 4 other veteran teams there (out of 16) . I was like "Oh #$%^". Long story short I ended up getting GC and made a little money. :grin:

I still consider myself a novice comp. cooker (less than 6 comps total) but I do feel more confident going against the big boys now. Hopefully I'll do better against them next month.

I've had my culo handed to me at an 'easy contest'. Comps with great teams are just more fun to me.

The stronger the field the better, IMO. A tough field is my preference, but my schedule is limited so I just do the ones that work with my personal life for right now.

Good luck whichever way you go.

Depends on how many other contests you're doing. If this is it, then I'd go with the bigger one and realize the chances of a walk are next to nothing, but you are there to learn and get better. But to get better, you need to know where you need to get better...and that starts with knowing where you stack up competitively.

If you do lots of contests, then pick the one where you won't face the same competitors you always face. Not sure if that would be the tougher one or the easier one, but it would give you another bench mark.

But then again, I agree with the comment that there is no easy contest.

Back