ブタ
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 02-08-2013, 02:15 PM   #31
Robicus129
Knows what a fatty is.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Big fan of wicked good lump here. Burns hot, clean and doesn't burn up quickly. It's got some decent sizes of lump in the bag also. The store I usually buy from in Tacoma ran out. I tried some BGE lump and wasn't too happy with it. Small pieces and burned quickly. I've also gotten good smoke rings with Wicked Good by itself. I don't really mind KB, use it every now and again.

Unread 02-08-2013, 02:18 PM   #32
flyingbassman5
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayoustateBBQ View Post
Well I bought a bag of stubbs briquettes. It says the binder is veg oil. We'll see how it does this weekend. Any suggestions on what to smoke in an offset?
I use Stubb's exclusively in my smokers. Tried it about a year and a half ago and haven't looked back at a bag of KBB since.

I don't use lump in my smokers but I do in my kettle for grilling.

Unread 02-08-2013, 04:12 PM   #33
jmoney7269
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingbassman5 View Post
I use Stubb's exclusively in my smokers. Tried it about a year and a half ago and haven't looked back at a bag of KBB since.

I don't use lump in my smokers but I do in my kettle for grilling.
No chemical smell? Taste etc? Why don't you use lump?
jmoney7269 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-08-2013, 04:39 PM   #34
Stoke&Smoke
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 1

I'm a big fan of using whatever you're most comfortable with, but we've used lump exclusively in our WSM's for 5 or 6 years now, and if I really took the time to load it right, I can get 12-14 hours, but normally, I don't mind adding a little coal from time to time. I get 8-10 without too much effort most of the time. Kingsford is ok, but I notice whenever I cook with it I end up belching for hours afterward. The K competion briquttes seem to not cause that, but for what I can get an 18lb bag of Royal Oak lump for, and the results I get, I'm a lump fan.

And we almost exclusively cook on either a WSM or a Weber kettle

I like Bludog's method for the kettle. It's very similar to how the aftermarket Smoke-EZ unit works.
KCBS CJ/TC #17139 Member ILBBQS
Too many cookers to list
Stoke&Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 02-08-2013, 05:01 PM   #35
Tim Campbell
On the road to being a farker

Just bought. 20# bag of the new Cowboy. I don't do long cooks. The last cook I did was a big pile of lump on a 13.5 rack turned 90 degrees to the fire rack. Now it was 32 degrees but I had to keep all the vents open and feed handfuls every 20 minutes to keep it around 260. How big is the ring in the 18.5 WSM? 14"

Unread 02-09-2013, 08:48 AM   #36
rubizuk
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scp View Post
I use lump in my WSM and I think it works better than briquette. I fill the ring with lump..a few pieces of desired wood added. To start...I stick a small propane torch
thru one of the vents for about 3-5 mins. Leave all the vents wide open till dome temp reaches 150...then start closing vents to slow dpwn the rise. I would say I am up to 200 in about 30 minutes. A full basket of lump easily lasts 10 hours.

Eastwood Pinpoint Flame Propane Torch : Amazon.com : Power & Hand Tools

This isn't exactly my torch...but just the cheapest one at the hardware store...maybe 20 bucks. I love it!! Easy and fast
I second this. I personally had more problems with KB than I do with lump and with less ash and not the after taste of KB. As far as burn time, I haven't seen enough difference to be concerned with. You need to watch the heat as it is rising and catch it before you reach your desired temp and you are fine. KB is for heating dutch ovens only in my opinion.

Thanks from:--->
Unread 02-10-2013, 06:34 PM   #37
fantomlord
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludawg View Post
It's no big secret. In the UDS.> a small layer of lump on hte bottom two chunks of Wood another layer to cover the chunks more wood 90 deg off the last layer, top it off with lump. light up a 1/3 of a chimney of Cheap HEB briquettes to light it up. after a 10 min burn drop in the drum add a chunk of wood on top.

In the Weber I use 14" ring to set up the chain top it with chunks pull the ring, add a drip pan, light one end, adj the vents and let it do it's thing. The only maintenance is to rotate the lid 90 deg every 4 hrs so the exhaust is opposite the fire.

ring removed

6 hrs into the cook.

13 hrs ( if you look close at the 10 o'clock there is a wisp of smoke where the fire is) enough fuel left for 3- 4 hrs more.
hey dawg...I gave your snake method a go today (doing a batch of almonds), but had trouble getting my temp over ~150°. I usually load up the bottom, and dump my lit coals on the top, in the center
how deep do you go with the lump...hard to tell from the pics. are you really careful about how you load it in, or do you just sort of fill it in around the ring? I'm guessing your outside temps aren't quite as low as what I'm dealing with here, but it's also not cold enough that it would normally give me trouble (currently 41° here)
any input would be appreciated