拉猪肉
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-05-2014, 01:52 PM   #1
Raider18
Found some matches.

Default Maverick ET 732 probes

Anyone else have problems with these things? I'm going on my 3rd set in less than a year. I cook low and slow, have grommets to avoid crimping and they still go out. Any suggestions to keep them working or suggestions on another wireless monitor?
Raider18 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-05-2014, 02:21 PM   #2
THoey1963
Babbling Farker

I have had mine since February and have had no issues with the probes. I have heard how they can go out, so I have a spare set ready if needed.

Are you being careful not to get any moisture where the probe meets the cable? Some people put shrink wrap or sealant there to keep the moisture out. I am just really careful when I clean my probes...

LSG 24"x30"x36" Vertical Upright Smoker with Warming Oven - *** In queue to be built ***
Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5" - Weber Genesis S-330
Pitmaster IQ-120 - Thermapen - Maverick ET-733

For info on any mods I have done to my WSM, please see this post.
THoey1963 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-05-2014, 02:32 PM   #3
bvbull200
Full Fledged Farker

Oh boy. Where do I begin with mine....

I'll spare the details, but you might look at an iGrill2 as an alternative. Depending on the range you need, it could do the trick.

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-05-2014, 02:53 PM   #4
fingerlickin'
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Both mine are still on their original probes, probably 3 years and 2 years respectively. I make sure to never get them wet where the wire goes into the probe. They get used very often, maybe I'm just lucky.

Jason

"I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - Tommy Callahan III

Backwoods Ext. Party,
Vision Kamado,
22" WSM, 22.5 Weber OTS, Mini WSM, UDS "No.8"

Napkin Killers BBQ
fingerlickin' is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-05-2014, 03:00 PM   #5
Grimm5577
is One Chatty Farker

one of mine died within the warranty period, and they sent me a new set no problem. I then put high temp RTV sealant over the area where the wire meets the probe. haven't had a problem since, but I also haven't used the thing since winter. thermapen is way easier.

Brinkman Trailmaster, WSM, BPS UDS, Smokin-it #2, 3x 22.5" Weber OTGs, Weber S330, Pizza Kettle, Rotisserie Collar, A-Maze-N Smoker, Thermapen,
Grimm5577 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-05-2014, 03:05 PM   #6
THoey1963
Babbling Farker

You leave your Thermapen in the smoker?

LSG 24"x30"x36" Vertical Upright Smoker with Warming Oven - *** In queue to be built ***
Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5" - Weber Genesis S-330
Pitmaster IQ-120 - Thermapen - Maverick ET-733

For info on any mods I have done to my WSM, please see this post.
THoey1963 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-05-2014, 03:19 PM   #7
Grimm5577
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by THoey1963 View Post
You leave your Thermapen in the smoker?
I've learned more about cooking not relying on a maverick then when i did use it.

But no, I don't leave it in, all of my cookers (excluding the smokin-it) have a calibrated temp gauge that i can generally see by looking out a window. That and most of them are good at maintaining temps so I don't see the need anymore to set up maverick.

Brinkman Trailmaster, WSM, BPS UDS, Smokin-it #2, 3x 22.5" Weber OTGs, Weber S330, Pizza Kettle, Rotisserie Collar, A-Maze-N Smoker, Thermapen,
Grimm5577 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-05-2014, 03:22 PM   #8
pjtexas1
Babbling Farker

I remember Smitty posting that he buys the heavy duty probes. Not sure because I have 2 and all 4 original probes still work but I do have 2 spares just in case. I crimp mine in all my cookers but I am really careful when washing the meat probes. I even burned the rubber piece on one probe on my OTG when grease caught fire but it still works. They will all probably die this weekend but so far I have not had any issues.
Texas Smokemaster offset (gone but never forgotten)
Brinkmann Mini WSM
MasterBuilt Electric
22.5" OTG
Jimmy (jumbo mini)
Thermopop & Thermapen (both red)
HeaterMeter with Roto Damper & blower, Maverick ET-732 (x2)
pjtexas1 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 09-05-2014, 04:19 PM   #9
Raider18
Found some matches.

I only use it for overnight cooks so the alarm will wake me of the fire gets too low or the meat gets too hot. I use the thermapen when I'm awake.

I baby mine. When I clean them it's only with a damp paper towel.
Raider18 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-05-2014, 04:25 PM   #10
Link
Got Wood.

Get the 6ft length probes, I had 2, 3ft length probes replaced by maverick and no problems since.
Link is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-05-2014, 05:46 PM   #11
wayne77
Full Fledged Farker

No problems here. I have two and all original probes still work. I'm very careful when cleaning the probes though

Old 09-05-2014, 06:13 PM   #12
mikemci
is One Chatty Farker

I had problems with the original probes. When I replaced them, I had determined that the 6' length would work better for me, I haven't had any problems since getting them. I also don't bother washing them, so that's not an issue. I leave them hanging through the hole in my UDS and put a cover over it after cooling....still no problems. The sending unit also hung on the handle of the UDS during a cook while it poured down rain....no issues with that either. Getting 6' probes seems like the correct answer, based on the replies.
red Thermapen
Maverick ET-732

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to eat for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
mikemci is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-05-2014, 06:14 PM   #13
Teamfour
is Blowin Smoke!

I have had an old ET73 and a newer 732 for a few years. Never had probe issues. I never washed them in water, I only clean them using an alcohol wipe.

Having said that, I haven's used either in the past year ever since I learned how to use my Thermopen as a probe to check tenderness. Temp just doesn't seem to matter any more.
BWS Party |UDS|Great Outdoors Propane Vertical|Maverick ET-73 |Maverick ET-732 |Super Fast Orange Thermapen | BBQ Guru DigiQ |Two 100 QT crawfish boiling rigs | LEM Meat Grinder | Grizzly Sausage Stuffer

Smokin-n-Style BBQ Team - Pitmaster
Lagniappe Chili Team - Head Cook
KCBS CBJ
Teamfour is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-05-2014, 06:44 PM   #14
Toast
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fingerlickin' View Post
Both mine are still on their original probes, probably 3 years and 2 years respectively. I make sure to never get them wet where the wire goes into the probe. They get used very often, maybe I'm just lucky.
^^ What He Said ^^^ and I'm just careful not to kink the leads (sharp bends).
Wife LuzziAnn 1956 model.
Maverick ET-732, Superfast LSU Purple Thermapen, Party Q

Toast is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-05-2014, 10:38 PM   #15
SmittyJonz
somebody shut me the fark up.

Ya I went thru 3 sets pretty fast soI ordered the Good Made in America ones but they are $15 or $20 each. It's one of the Vendors in the Vendor Section. Let me look .....

Here ya go :

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=172427

Tags
Maverick ET-732, temperature