Our Homepage Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-06-2013, 11:53 PM   #1
Found some matches.
Default My $45 CL Project

I am new to the forum, so hello everyone. As I was researching some mods for the NBBD I picked up last week, I noticed a large number of threads coming from this site, so I thought I would join and also share some photos of my project smoker. I incorporated the smokestack, charcoal basket, baffle and diffuser/convection plate mods to the smoker. I completely took the smoker apart, sanded, painted, replaced all hardware and wood. I plan to season the smoker later this week.

Anyway, enough of my yammering and here are the photos.

charcoal basket.JPG

diffuser plate and smokestack mod.JPG

My total came to $100 plus 20 hours of labor. The hardest part was drilling all the holes in the plate. They start at 1/2" and go to 1". I figure that I can use 1" strips of steel to close off areas of the plate if I get hot spots. The baffle snugs up nicely on the plate and I cut it so there would be no heat and smoke leaking from the sides like some designs that I have seen.
Texstrat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-06-2013, 11:56 PM   #2
Knows what a fatty is.

Nice job! And welcome to the forum.
Dedicated Stick Burner, Pitmaster @ All About The Q, facebook.com/itsallabouttheq KCBS CBJ
themidniteryder is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-06-2013, 11:57 PM   #3
is Blowin Smoke!

Nicely done!
I think Buffalo wings taste a lot like chicken
New Braunfels Hondo Offset
New Braunfels Bandera (Refurbished & Improved)
34 year old Char-Broil 450 (Purchased new)
1996 Blue Weber SS Performer
Weber SJS & modified stock pot Mini-WSM
Weber rotisserie with Rib-O-Lator & Smokenator system
STOK Island gasser
cholloway is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-07-2013, 12:01 AM   #4
is One Chatty Farker

Wow its shiny new. NBBD- does that mean bandera? B/c I thought that was a hondo.
Weber One Touch Gold
2001 Weber Genesis that is no longer used since the OTG
Trumpstylz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-07-2013, 12:06 AM   #5
Found some matches.

Looking at an old user manual, it should be the BD as it has the warmer on the fire box, also the legs bolt directly to the smoke chamber versus the "U" shaped legs. Although I could be wrong, it would not be the first time.
Texstrat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-07-2013, 12:09 AM   #6
somebody shut me the fark up.

Great job

Love the tuning plate!
Brian - Left Hand Smoke BBQ PNWBA 2010 Team of the Year
BGE's/WSM's/Pellet Pro WSM/BWS Gater/BDS Clones/Cookshack 008/Weber Performer w EZ-Que/Cajun Bandit/Rib-O-Lator Test Pilot/La Caja China/BBQ Guru/Weber 1000 RK Drum Coffee Roaster
Follow Left Hand Smoke on Facebook!http://www.facebook.com/pages/Left-H...462391?sk=wall
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-07-2013, 12:10 AM   #7
Babbling Farker

Hi and welcome aboard. Nice work!
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin
| [COLOR=RoyalBlue][COLOR=Red]Weber[/COLOR] 18 1/2" & 22 1/2" WSM[/COLOR], [COLOR=SeaGreen]22 1/2" & 26 3/4" OTG[/COLOR][COLOR=DimGray][COLOR=Black],[/COLOR] [COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]Genesis S-330[/COLOR][/COLOR] |[COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Black]|[/COLOR] BBQ Guru CyberQ WiFi [/COLOR]| [COLOR=DarkOrange]Maverick ET-732[/COLOR] | [COLOR=Gray]Gray Thermapen[/COLOR] |
BobM is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-07-2013, 12:42 AM   #8
J'ville Grill
is Blowin Smoke!

Sweet restore! I believe it's a "Black Diamond". A Bandera is a vertical offset.
J'ville Grill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-07-2013, 01:20 AM   #9
is One Chatty Farker

Welcome brotha nicely done, you seem to catch on quick stay away from butcher paper its the antichrist! Jk
[B]|[/B][COLOR="DarkOrange"][B]HOOK'EM[/B][/COLOR] [B][B]UDS[/B]|[B][COLOR="DimGray"]MINI UDS[/COLOR][/B][COLOR="Black"]|22.5 WEBER PERF[/COLOR][/B][COLOR="Sienna"][B]|B&B[/B][/COLOR][COLOR="Sienna"][B]|OAK & PECAN[/B][/COLOR][COLOR="Blue"][B]|DIGIQ[/B][COLOR="Black"][B]|[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR][COLOR="Yellow"][B]TW8060[/B][/COLOR][B]|THERMAPEN[/B] [COLOR="DarkOrange"][B]ORANGE[/B][/COLOR][B]|[/B][B][COLOR="Black"]Char[/COLOR][/B][B][COLOR="Red"]-Griller[/COLOR][/B] [B][COLOR="Black"]Akorn[/COLOR][/B][B]|[/B][URL="http://www.facebook.com/thinblue.smokery"][COLOR="Red"][B]Thin[/B][/COLOR][COLOR="LightBlue"] [B]Blue[/B][/COLOR] [COLOR="RoyalBlue"][B]Smokery[/B][/COLOR][/URL][B]|[/B]
AustinKnight is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-07-2013, 01:32 AM   #10
is one Smokin' Farker

Looks great
Smokemaster Offset*'70 Hasty Bake*WSM 18.5*'00 Plum SSP*'69 Cado*'90 Red MT*'73 WSJ*Imperial Kamado
javahog2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-07-2013, 02:39 AM   #11
is one Smokin' Farker

That looks better than new! nice job.
westy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-07-2013, 03:33 AM   #12
is one Smokin' Farker

Looking good!
kds9547 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-07-2013, 04:00 AM   #13
Babbling Farker

Looks nearly new, nice work and welcome to the forum.
Weber Performer with rotisserie ring, 22.5OTS, Maverick 732, Weber Smokey Joe,PBC Smokenator/Hoovergrill, variety of microbrews, Gin and tonic, variety of lighters.
code3rrt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-07-2013, 04:47 AM   #14
is One Chatty Farker

Great Job and Welcome from Central Indiana !!
Chargriller Akorn
Drum Smoker " Old Smokey " Work in Progress
Kingsford Premium Charcoal Grill
Weber Gasser Genesis Silver A
Pit Barrel Cooker
Maverick ET-732
VietNam Veteran US Navy
May you Sleep in Peace always...and Please....Thank a Veteran for That Privilege!!
Oldbob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-07-2013, 05:37 AM   #15
Full Fledged Farker

Welcome to the forum!
Nice tight work on the build. The diffuser is real cool!
IMBAS Certified MOINK Baller. WGA, WBS, 2x - UDS & WSM on Wheels,
smokemaster1 is offline   Reply With Quote