The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 02-04-2013, 01:11 PM   #1
Team DD
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Whole Hog Question

A buddy of mine asked me if I would do a whole hog for his wife's surprise birthday party with all the fixings. He is planning on about 40 people. I just contacted the butcher where I get most of my product and the smallest hog they can get is around 80 lbs. (with head on). Is this too much meat for 40 people or would this be about right?

I have never cooked a whole hog, so I may have to get one first and test.

Thanks,
Doug
Weber One-Touch Silver
Custom Red Thermapen
Team DD is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-04-2013, 01:16 PM   #2
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.

Downloads: 2

I cooked a 58# pig and we had 60 or 70 folks over (including kids). There weren't many leftovers the next day - maybe enough for 5-6 sammiches. It was pot luck, so we had a lot of sides as well. 

I've heard a few times to figure on 1# uncooked weight per person, and that's what worked out pretty good for me. I've only done this once, so that's about all I know. Can't wait to do it again though!
50" Klose BYC, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Jumbo Old Smokey, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
Golden Goose Egg - Got 2 in the nest baby!
SPFP
Mayzie's keeping an eye out for you!
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-04-2013, 01:17 PM   #3
Youngin'
On the road to being a farker

I've always gone by 1 lb per person.
Youngin' is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-04-2013, 01:20 PM   #4
Team DD
Full Fledged Farker

Okay, sounds good. I will throw a couple of different options at him and see what he wants to do.

Thanks,
Doug
Weber One-Touch Silver
Custom Red Thermapen
Team DD is offline   Reply With Quote