The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 02-04-2013, 04:03 AM   #1
Phubar
somebody shut me the fark up.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Phubar's Teriyaki Porkloin with Glassnoodles Pron

Marinated the porkloin for 24 hours in teriyaki sauce,rubbed the loin with coarse seasalt and cracked black.
Leftover teriyaki from the marinade I cooked down with some sake,garlic,ginger,salt,pepper,honey....used this as a glaze.

Smoked some water for the glassnoodles,after they were cooked/smoked they went back on the WGA with garlic,onion,red Spanish pepper,ginger,salt,pepper,Phu Quoc Phish sauce.

Also made a beansprout/tomato salad...after the smoke I added a bit of sugar and lemonjuice and put it in the Phridge.
Once plated I added some parsley and oyster sauce on top of the noodles

All fueled by Ecobrasa Coco Briquettes

*Lowland Smokers Dutch BBQ Champion 2011 - 2012*
*Lowland Smokers Dutch BBQ Champion 2013 Low 'n Slow
*WGA Ambassador
Phubar is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Unread 02-04-2013, 04:17 AM   #2
fedex
Full Fledged Farker

Teriyaki is someting that is rarely mentioned on this site. My family and I Love Teriyaki. Marinated Chicken Thighs and Tri Tip is our favorites. May have to give it a shot with pork. As usual your food looks Awesome.
UDS, Jumbo Joe 2013, 26" Weber, SS Blue Performer, WGA Charcoal, Q100 & Wife Model#1962
fedex is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 02-04-2013, 04:26 AM   #3
buccaneer
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedex View Post
Teriyaki is someting that is rarely mentioned on this site. My family and I Love Teriyaki. Marinated Chicken Thighs and Tri Tip is our favorites. May have to give it a shot with pork. As usual your food looks Awesome.
Quote:
Originally Posted by buccaneer View Post
Whipped up some teriyaki beef and made a Japanese Noodle salad with pickles, two types of toasted sesame seeds, slivers of cucumber and some Japanese dressing

Used Kim Chi to fill some pancakes along with PP and scallion, just delish
Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
My once a year-ish Teriyaki Chicken post, from the blog, as always just copied over. This was not cooked on a grill, but, it could have been. The marinade works great for wings as well.

One of the staples, and the dish that has become my contribution every year to the New Years table is Teriyaki Chicken. Now, my recipe is, by no means traditional, or authentic, and as is typical to my style of cooking, I could care less about "authentic" cooking. All cooking is local, and this is my interpretation, a fusion of my grandmother, mother, restaurant and my own free-wheeling attitude.

To start, you will need a good strong dashi. The addition of a little reduced dashi broth brings that hit of amino acids you get from konbu and dried, smoked bonito. I like to reduce 1 cup of dashi by half, then add this to the shoyu and sugar. I do not like to heat the marinade, but, I have made a few adjustments to allow for this.

Teriyaki Marinade:
2 cups Shoyu (I used Yamasa Brewed, but, Tamari is great too)
1/2 cup reduced dashi
1/2 cup agave syrup (adjust for sweetness desired)
1/4 cup sake
1 tablespoon grated ginger
1 tablespoon grated garlic
1/2 teaspoon togarashi sesame oil

A few of the marinade ingredients

Mix all above ingredients at room temperature. Do not heat. I believe that heating at this stage muddies the flavors of the elements in the marinade. I check for taste at this point, I want the marinade to be moderately sweet, but, showing lots of complexity. Too much sugar at this point overpowers the other elements. The overall sensation should be a taste that starts off salty, moved to aromatic and snappy, finishing with sweet and heat.

A note about the chicken I use. I strongly prefer the use of quality poultry for this dish. I buy field raised air-chilled chickens for this use, and I avoid the large packer products. I feel that the air-chilled chickens take the marinade better. I place the chicken in a vessel suitable for marinading the meat overnight. This can be zip closure bags or it can be a glass or plastinc container, best if it seals liquid tight though. I like to let the chicken marinade overnight. At least 8 hours, if you must rush it. I will flip and turn the chicken to make sure the marinade is moving around the meat for good coverage.

Chicken Thighs await

A good alternate, one I learned when I did large cooks for the church bazaars that we used to do, is to actually pack the chicken in rock salt, coarse rock salt that works to pull the liquid out of the meat, then you can put it in the marinade for just a couple of hours. This is better and far more efficient, when you are cooking 300-500 chicken dinners. The rock salt will not flavor the chicken, it just pulls moisture and sets up the process of the chicken pulling the marinade into the meat.

Anyway, once it is marinaded, place the chicken in a pan, and place it in a 400F oven (or smoker/kettle/wood burning oven) and let it run for 45 minutes. Do not crowd the chicken. I happen to prefer cooking the chickens in a pan, as opposed to on a rack, as I feel it gives me a moister product. Meanwhile, prepare another batch of the marinade, but, triple the agave syrup, or use honey instead. This forms your glaze. I like to heat this batch to around 180F and let it sit at that temperature for 5 minutes or so. It combines into a glaze. This is brushed onto the chicken about 15 minutes, and again at 5 minutes before the chicken is pulled. It gives it an almost lacquered look.

Oooo, shiny...

That is not photoshopped, those were really that shiny and they were not sticky at all. And yes, perhaps I got distracted and was a little tad late pulling them from the heat. The chicken was cooled and packed, the grease and drippings were drained into the 'mother dashi' as nothing was to be wasted. For Osechi, the chicken is normally eaten at room temperature, so it is important that the flavor be balanced for eating at a colder temperature, the marinade I use has plenty of depth and complexity, there is the characteristic sweetness on the skin while the chicken still shines through. It is nothing like any store bought candy chicken sauce.
Plus six pages according to a search.

Unread 02-04-2013, 05:40 AM   #4
padawan
Full Fledged Farker

O YES i like it !!!! :)

Unread 02-04-2013, 06:23 AM   #5
Garyclaw
Babbling Farker

That Loin looks Beautiful, Phu!! Perfect!

Big BarBChef built in to the Outdoor Kitchen, Weber kettle, 1 UDS, Little Chief Electric, 2 Propane Fish Cookers/Turkey Fryers,
a swinging grate over my Fire pit, Big Pig Cooker, SJS.

"Nice talkin' to ya"
Garyclaw is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-04-2013, 07:25 AM   #6
chicagokp
is Blowin Smoke!

Nice Phu!

White Lightning Thermopen
chicagokp is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-04-2013, 08:08 AM   #7
fantomlord
is one Smokin' Farker

looks great Phu!

Unread 02-04-2013, 08:25 AM   #8
bigabyte

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 1

Phan-Pharking-Tastic Phood Phu!
3rd Degree Crockpot Ninja
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Get your MOINK Certification today!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club member
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-04-2013, 10:28 AM   #9
Bonewagon
Babbling Farker

Awesome Phu.

Big Steel Keg, WSM, OTG, PBC, Super Fast and Accurate Blue Splash-Proof Thermapen
Bonewagon is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-04-2013, 10:36 AM   #10
gtr

Downloads: 2

Yes sir!
50" Klose BYC, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Jumbo Old Smokey, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
Golden Goose Egg - Got 2 in the nest baby!
SPFP
Mayzie's keeping an eye out for you!
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-04-2013, 10:37 AM   #11
fingerlickin'
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Looking good Phu!

Jason

"I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - Tommy Callahan III

XL
Big Green Egg
, 22.5 Weber OTS, WSJ
Gold/Mini WSM, 18" & 22" WSM, UDS "No.8"
Flyers Orange Thermapen
Napkin Killers BBQ
fingerlickin' is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-04-2013, 11:20 AM   #12
Mdboatbum
Full Fledged Farker

Phu quo for making me hungry just after lunch.
Mdboatbum is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-04-2013, 11:38 AM   #13
hermy65
Found some matches.

that looks great, nicely done
hermy65 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-04-2013, 01:19 PM   #14
MS2SB