• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Such a deal.

Mo-Dave

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Last week I stopped in at a house I have been driving buy for the last 12 years. This house had an old New Braunfels, Bandera, and it appears that it was not being used. As it turned out the man would not open his door because he had just came down with the flu and ask if I would come back next week, I agreed. Today I drove into town and as it happened he was just pulling into his driveway, so I stopped in and we chatted for awhile, much to my surprise he said I could have it if I would cook him a slab of ribs or a chicken, well sure I will not have a problem with that, in fact I may just cook both, along with some ABTs. One more surprise he has a brand new never used upright box for it that he will throw in just to get it out of his storage space. It was getting dark so I did not take any pic, it is in rough shape but the metal looks good just rusty and it is missing some grates.

Like I said, I did not get pics so I posted the link to the Bandera 101, just pick anyone of those restorations, and there you have it. I will post pic when I get it home sometime next week He said I could pick it up anytime I wanted to and drop the meat off anytime I get to it. It looks like I have a little project to tend to. :clap2:
Dave

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42718

vv

Got this home today, looked it over, and it does not look nearly as bad as I first thought, so it may not be long before it is up and running. Besides sanding and painting, all it really needs are grates and shelves. Sorry for the cell phone pics, that is on my to get soon list.
Dave

Attachments

• Image02052013162608.jpg
    Image02052013162608.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 191
  • Image02052013162751.jpg
    Image02052013162751.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 189
  • Image02052013162850.jpg
    Image02052013162850.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 188
  • Image02052013162915.jpg
    Image02052013162915.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 188
That should be a fairly straight forward project. Give him a nice feast for that baby.

Starting it tomorrow on my uds. Menu as follows, 1 slab spares, 1/2 chicken, backed beans, mac salad, extra sauce, and possibly a few ABTs He is an older single guy so this should give him a bbq fix for a good while.

Yes if I can find my palm sander it should go fast, I have enough expanded metal to make shelves and fire grates. Even if he does not get around to digging the new smoker box out of storage, I am ok with that, this ones appears solid.

Does anyone know how many fire bricks it will take to do the upright, and fire box?
Dave

Nice smoke unit. If you are open to suggestions, when you take him the prepared feast ask him to make you a list of things he needs done, that often times elderly folks have trouble with. Change ac/furnace filters, burnt out light bulbs, smoke and carbon minozide detector batteries. I tend to be more religious than superstitious, but Karma can be a beautiful thing, or a real bit-h.

I can't wait to see it when you get it restored!

You are now a member of the very elite Bandera Brethren. Congratulations.

Thats not rust, thats patina. Fantastic for free and minimal work to get it going again.

Im jealous. I almost scored a bandera this past summer but couldn't because I broke some bones when I fell off a ladder and couldn't go get it.

Brings back memories of mine. Good unit. A few updates will really help it, but looks like a good solid start.

Back