MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-31-2013, 02:53 PM   #1
zzrudyzz
Got Wood.

Default UDS fire basket help

Fist off let me say thank you guys for this forum. SO much great info here I have been reading nonstop for a month now. With the super bowl coming up I have decided to build a new UDS. The first one I had was a joint project with my buddie from somthing we saw one time at a Q. So with no direction and no idea this about this site we hacked it. So I am now just about done with my new and improved UDS.

My issue is I can not find any expanded steel to make the fire basket out of. The only guy I have found that has any in stock wanted $80 for a sheet of it and well that is more than I was looking to spend. So my question is any other Ideas for the fire basket? I was previously using a tractor disc has a hole in the middle and is concaved so it worked out some what but hard to control as well as i would like. I have some time constraint with the game this weekend so online ordering may also be out.
zzrudyzz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-31-2013, 04:28 PM   #2
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

home depot sells it. Its on a shelf above the section with the steel rods, angle line, etc. Same isle as the work gloves or next one over. The come in 24x24 and 30x30.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-31-2013, 05:01 PM   #3
jv_stl
On the road to being a farker

Take a lid from a cheap old smoker flip upside down weld legs or use bolts . Grind vertical slits all the way around for airflow. Take grate it will slide in lid but not all they down which will allow for the ash to fall and air.

Old 01-31-2013, 05:25 PM   #4
zzrudyzz
Got Wood.

Thanks for the quick replys.

I called homedepot last night and they guy said none in stock but may have to do some recon tonight.

JV if I can not find some steel i will have to goto the junk yard and see what I can find.
zzrudyzz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-31-2013, 05:40 PM   #5
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

Cheap aluminum stock pot cut the bottom out leave 1" as a lip drill a Bunch of 1/2" holes in the sides and put a small replacement grate in the bottom. Make short legs and bolt through the side. an old steel milk crate works good Too if you can find one.

Old 01-31-2013, 10:42 PM   #6
Kloogee
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQchef33 View Post
home depot sells it. Its on a shelf above the section with the steel rods, angle line, etc. Same isle as the work gloves or next one over. The come in 24x24 and 30x30.
Yep, I got mine from HD too. I've seen the same at Lowes and Menards. When I asked at HD and Menards they didn't have a clue what expanded metal was. I had to pull up a pic on my iPhone from a google search to show them.

How did anything get done before the Internet and smart phones?
Kloogee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-01-2013, 01:38 AM   #7
BluegrassSmoke
On the road to being a farker

Do a metal fab shop search, they have to get theirs from somewhere, maybe they can give a location.
BluegrassSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-01-2013, 06:28 AM   #8
jmoney7269
Banned

Have a fab shop make yOu one. That's what I did.

Works like a dream. Put a 20 lb bag of lump in, usually lasts about 3-4 cooks. Refill and repeat.
jmoney7269 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-01-2013, 07:10 AM   #9
poppa smoke
Knows what a fatty is.

Go to Lowes or HD and look at the hanging baskets in the garden center. I found one for about $12.00 yhat was 20 inches wide and 14 inches tall i added an old piece of a grate to the bottom. ithas been working for over a year cooking at least twice a week
poppa smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-01-2013, 08:52 AM   #10
razrbakcrzy
is one Smokin' Farker

old wire fruit/produce farm basket
[FONT=Arial][B]Future Smoker [/B][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]$5438.25 Total BYC Smoker!![/FONT]

[SIZE=2]Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=1]Ronald Reagan, President of the United States; 1985 [/SIZE]
razrbakcrzy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-01-2013, 09:06 AM   #11
jrn
Full Fledged Farker

Jmoney, what's the height and depth of your basket?

Old 02-01-2013, 10:27 AM   #12
chriscw81
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppa smoke View Post
Go to Lowes or HD and look at the hanging baskets in the garden center. I found one for about $12.00 yhat was 20 inches wide and 14 inches tall i added an old piece of a grate to the bottom. ithas been working for over a year cooking at least twice a week
Care to share a picture of that? I'd never thought about using something like that.

Sent from my Nexus using Tapatalk 2

[B][SIZE=1][COLOR=black]UDS | [COLOR=blue]Blue[/COLOR] Weber Performer Platinum | Chargriller Akorn | 22.5 Weber OTG | WSJ Gold | Mini WSM | Maverick ET-73 | [COLOR=blue]Blue [/COLOR][COLOR=black]Thermapen | Maverick PT-100 |[/COLOR] Gasser(charcoal chimney starter)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]
chriscw81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-01-2013, 01:44 PM   #13
olewarthog
Full Fledged Farker

One of these will work also

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...TL._SY355_.jpg

Old 02-01-2013, 01:56 PM   #14
J-Rod
is One Chatty Farker

Here's some hanging wire baskets, just to give you an idea of what you can use in a pinch. There's a lot of options out there but I'd start at the Dee Pot or BLowes and see what you find. Just be sure to burn off any paint or coatings before you cook with it.

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...Oqre0gHo8YDgDQ

Old 02-01-2013, 02:14 PM   #15
chriscw81
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by olewarthog View Post
i'm drawing a blank on what to call this. a large straining pot?

edit: nevermind, found it

[B][SIZE=1][COLOR=black]UDS | [COLOR=blue]Blue[/COLOR] Weber Performer Platinum | Chargriller Akorn | 22.5 Weber OTG | WSJ Gold | Mini WSM | Maverick ET-73 | [COLOR=blue]Blue [/COLOR][COLOR=black]Thermapen | Maverick PT-100 |[/COLOR] Gasser(charcoal chimney starter)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]
chriscw81 is offline   Reply With Quote