The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 02-02-2013, 08:53 AM   #61
Freddy j
is one Smokin' Farker

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpw View Post
On the BBQ central show the other day, Harry Soo was talking about how he's been cooking his chicken to an IT of only 145 degrees (and holding it there at that temp for 10 minutes), and the end result was that is was a completely different product than a breast cooked to 165.

So what do all you experts out there think about this? Safe? Genius? Stupid?
I got food poisoning from chicken once. IMO, 145 is way too close to the danger zone for me, don't care how wonderful it might be at that temp. Not worth the ill.

Unread 02-02-2013, 08:58 AM   #62
Boshizzle
somebody shut me the fark up.

Downloads: 0

One thing you have to keep in mind, when comparing how we cook chicken in this country to how it's done in other countries is not exactly an apples and apples comparison.

The way chickens are processed in this country plays a role in why under cooked chicken can be hazardous. Some countries use other methods of processing that don't have the high probability of the meat being contaminated by fecal matter from the birds.
[COLOR=royalblue]18.5" & 22.5" Weber Kettles - Smokey Joe and Mini-WSM - [/COLOR][COLOR=royalblue]Bubba Keg - [/COLOR][COLOR=royalblue]#2 La Caja China[/COLOR]
[COLOR=royalblue]Chargriller Outlaw[/COLOR]
[COLOR=royalblue]Impeccably Accurate BLACK & RED Thermapens[/COLOR]
[COLOR=royalblue]KCBS CBJ[/COLOR]
[COLOR=royalblue]Operation BBQ Relief Founding Member[/COLOR]
[COLOR=blue]I am Obsessive Compulsive about BBQ. Google it.[/COLOR]
Boshizzle is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-02-2013, 09:08 AM   #63
Troyboy865
Got rid of the matchlight.

Downloads: 1

I heard that interview and read his follow up email to Greg. I cook my chicken to 158-160 with no problem. 145 huh, we'll he's still around to talk about it. U go first
Troyboy865 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-02-2013, 09:09 AM   #64
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

I am not one to speculate a lot.

I think I will get a small pack of thighs and cook them to 145--then try to "hold" them there for 10 minutes.

I figure I can cut into them and check it out for myself.

Can always throw them on the grill if I don't like what I see.

Easey, Peasey, and Cheap.

TIM
Now cooking with a Yoder YS640
Proud Pellet guy cooking on real wood.
The_Kapn is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 02-02-2013, 05:18 PM   #65
Swamp Donkeyz BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post
He said all that in the interview on BBQ Central. My question is how does he sold the chicken at 145? If it's in his WSM, the WSM temp is going to be higher than 145 (275 if his past posts are still accurate) so the temp will continue to climb. He mentioned in the interview that he would take the chicken off at 145, wrap and foil and let it sit for 10 minutes. That's not holding it at 145 since the IT will probably climb for a bit then slowly drop.

Also, is he doing this for thighs and breasts?

Finally, any idea how he handles the skin?
I could be wrong, but I believe he said in the interview he wraps the chicken in foil and then puts it in a cambro.
Swamp Donkeyz BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->