ಚಿಕನ್
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 02-08-2013, 12:13 PM   #1
rwalters
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Trying to create the perfect steak!

Been working on the "perfect" rib-eye... definitely making progress, but still haven't quite arrived. Quick question...in your experience/opinion, does a reverse seared steak REALLY come out that much better than a sear-n-slide steak? More than willing to change to the RS method if it makes a noticeable difference, but not to excited due to the increased cook time.

Unread 02-08-2013, 12:21 PM   #2
bigabyte
somebody shut me the fark up.

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 1

You need to determine this yourself, first hand. I spent years searing first, then I tried reverse sear and loved it and did it tht way for quite a few years. I am actually back to a "sear first" method and am liking it better now.

In short, you will get answers either way. The people who make steaks just the way they and their families and friends like them will be completely convinced they are right, and will ahve the results to back it up. But the answers will go both ways. There is no "one way" to make things to everyone's satisfaction. What you want to do is expermient and hone the methods you find you like.

My thoughts are, you want the steak cooked to your desired level of doneness, and you want a nice seared outside that is properly seasoned to deliver some great flavor! So I recommend doing that.

With that said, let's return to the great reverse sear vs sear first debate!
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-08-2013, 12:22 PM   #3
Motley Q
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwalters View Post
Been working on the "perfect" rib-eye... definitely making progress, but still haven't quite arrived. Quick question...in your experience/opinion, does a reverse seared steak REALLY come out that much better than a sear-n-slide steak? More than willing to change to the RS method if it makes a noticeable difference, but not to excited due to the increased cook time.
Every restaurant cook in the world just asked themselves....

What the hell......?

Just grill the damn steak
Motley Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-08-2013, 12:24 PM   #4
Carbon
is One Chatty Farker

The one thing I do with good steaks is to bring them to near room temperature before cooking. That one factor alone makes a huge difference for me.

Unread 02-08-2013, 12:26 PM   #5
John Bowen
is Blowin Smoke!

Several years ago I bought a cast iron griddle – flat side and ridged side. I bought it for cooking breakfast on long cooks etc. About two months ago I brought it out and used it to cook steak. I seared two 1.5 “ sirloins at about 4 min per side - on the flat side of the griddle - and then moved them over to the grill to cook to med rare.

I have only done that once but the sear was wonderful and worth working with some more.
John Bowen is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-08-2013, 12:45 PM   #6
BobBrisket

Also depends on the 'doneness" that you prefer. If you like rare and even med/rare, here's how I do it since the wife, kids, and Ilike rare as in warm and bloody! I build a HOT searing, bed of coals. I then add some wood on top of that and wait for it to burn to the point of no smoke, just fire. I then toss the room temp steaks on the hottest part of the fire. It's hot enough that I can't keep my hand over it AT ALL! I let them sear, sizzle and I don't worry if there are flare ups. I go about 1.5 -2 mins per side depending on thickness. At this point they will have a very nice 1/4 crust/sear on em. I then pull to a cool spot on the grill and let em rest for another couple of minutes. Nice char, perfectly bloody, and warm center. Not for everyone, but that's how we like em. I also only season one side of the steak so that the beef flavor is not overpowered.
Reverse sear is good too, but I don't use it often.
UDS, Pit Barrel Cooker-Courtesy of Poobah, WSM, 22.5 Weber Kettles-A, K, DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver B, Lil' Chief Smoker, Lodge Sportman Grill, Backyard Fire Pit, Dutch Ovens, Discada Set Up!
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver

My BEST Compliment......"You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son.
Git Smokin, Dan!
BobBrisket is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-08-2013, 12:57 PM   #7
BobM
Babbling Farker

I also played around with reverse searing, I found direct searing works better for me.
I like my steaks rare with a nice char. I build a hot coal bed in my OTG and and let her rip.

Don't forget the sauteed onions!

Yummy!
| Maverick ET-732 | Gray Thermapen |
BobM is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-08-2013, 01:03 PM   #8
deguerre

I'm firmly in the reverse sear camp. I cut my own steaks 1 1/2~2" from whole roasts when I can get them at a good price. I enjoy the additional smoke flavor I get with the reverse sear.
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-08-2013, 01:22 PM   #9
MS2SB
is One Chatty Farker

If you want the perfect steak just toss it into a screaming hot cast iron pan.
Original Noobian Warlord
Loser of Known Space
MS2SB is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Unread 02-08-2013, 01:32 PM   #10
Gnaws on Pigs
is one Smokin' Farker

No two people are the same, but to me a perfect steak is cut about an inch thick, so I can cook it the way I like it. No seasoning except some coarse salt and pepper. Cook it over screamin' hot oak or hickory coals, about two minutes per side. Nice and seared on the outside, medium rare inside, juicy, tasty. Couldn't get any better to me.

Slow-to-average-speed [COLOR=dimgray]GRAY[/COLOR] Wal-Mart thermometer

Just a hungry hillbilly lookin for a dead critter to cook

Four [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/group.php?groupid=39"]Zeros[/URL] in one [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"][COLOR=red]throwdown[/COLOR][/URL][COLOR=red],[/COLOR] baby! :bow:
Gnaws on Pigs is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-08-2013, 01:38 PM   #11
deguerre

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS2SB View Post
If you want the perfect steak just toss it into a screaming hot cast iron pan.
This is also what I sometimes do. Although I'll cook a thinner steak than I do when I grill. In fact, the first meal I cooked for Redhot before we got married was a pan seared rib eye.
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 02-08-2013, 01:57 PM   #12
MS2SB
is One Chatty Farker

Here's a couple of chuck eye's I did in a cast iron skillet a week or so ago. Seasoned liberally with my steak seasoning (kosher salt, coarse pepper, cumin, garlic powder, cayenne) let sit and sweat for about 30 minutes until the salt is almost completely dissolved. Rub the pan with a real thin coat of vegetable oil, I'll pour about 1T in and then wipe with a paper towel.

Get the pan smoking hot toss in the steaks and give them about 6 min/side for med-rare.
Original Noobian Warlord
Loser of Known Space
MS2SB is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 02-08-2013, 02:02 PM   #13
bacchus99
Full Fledged Farker

Reverse sear caveman. Light a full weber chimney of lump. Let it get red hot. Pour onto one side of the kettle. Add pecan wood. Add steak to indirect side until it reaches about 105F internal(couple minutes per side). Remove cooking grate and place a thin wire grate directly on coals and slap steak on 60 to 90 seconds per side. Rest 5 minutes. BOOYAH!

Unread 02-08-2013, 02:19 PM   #14
amjpierce
Found some matches.

Get an inch or inch and a half cut. Get fresh and don't freeze. Sprinkle with Sea Salt or Kosher Salt and course ground black pepper. Let steak set to room temp. Heat grill to high heat. grill 3 min on each side. pull steak to let it rest for 5 min. Enjoy.
amjpierce is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-08-2013, 02:19 PM   #15
JohnHB
is one Smokin' Farker

Simple. Very hot grill. Toss on steaks. After 60-90 seconds give half turn (to get cros pattern). At about 2 1/2 minute mark flip steaks. Turn again after 60-90 seconds.
Total cook time 5-6 minutes for 1.5 inch steak. Serve medium rare. My view rare hasn't sufficient caramelisation to get best flavour!
John