MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-28-2013, 09:47 PM   #1
KyleOH
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default Saturday Night UFC Cookoff

Hey guys. New here and all. Love bbq just getting into smoking. Currently on a charbroil smoker, kinda crappy and fuel hog and lot of work, but gets it done. I plan on having a brand new Vault for my birthday. Anyway here is the que.

I did a simpke brine for 8 hours on the pork butt. Then season and wrap to fridge overnight.

Made some vinegar based sauce. Thought it tasted way strong on its own but was killer on the meat. This was a internet recipe.

Saturday morning 5am lit the pit. Using charcoal and shag huckory logs for heat smoke. Running at 215F. Rub is just garlic salt, texasbbq rub, salt, pepper, onion powder, evoo, light bsugar. Cooked for 11 hours, foiled at the 8 hour mark, cooked to 195 IT.

8 Hour mark, 151 IT stalled.

11 Hour 195 IT. Removed and rested for 1.5hr.

While resting I made mac cheese from this site by Mic, it was amazing thank you very much. Just about to go in oven, smoked for 5 min before hand.

Inspired by beef and beer bread, I tackled some beer bread.

Finished product. The wife loves baby rays so no matter what its on her que. She loves the smoke ring edges so she got a lot of that. Everything was delicious. There was none left after the fight with 5 guest over.

Now being new to smoking everything was very awesome to eat but I find faults. One being my meat was a little mush. Was this from the brine or the extended cook time and such low heat? Should I not brine the butt? Cook faster? Second my bread was great but a little fall apartish if you know what I mean. I used 12oz beer and followed specifics. Anyways thanks guys this site is awesome!! Cannot wait to have a better cooker!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (129.8 KB, 191 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (47.5 KB, 189 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (90.5 KB, 188 views)
File Type: jpg 4.jpg (122.9 KB, 190 views)
File Type: jpg 5.jpg (107.2 KB, 190 views)
File Type: jpg 6.jpg (56.3 KB, 194 views)
File Type: jpg 7.jpg (88.3 KB, 192 views)
File Type: jpg 8.jpg (150.6 KB, 191 views)
File Type: jpg 9.jpg (74.8 KB, 192 views)
KyleOH is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 01-28-2013, 10:26 PM   #2
flyingbassman5
is one Smokin' Farker

I think your "mush" problem could've been the brine. Usually there is no need to brine a pork butt because it has a very high fat content and won't dry out very easily. Next time, skip the brine. Just rub and cook. Good job on the cook regardless! It had to be good if there was none left

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-28-2013, 10:28 PM   #3
Johnny_Crunch
Babbling Farker

Looks awesome. I love the color.

Old 01-29-2013, 01:20 AM   #4
Titch
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Titch :-)

That looks great,I want some of that.
Reread your recipe, your Kneading may be at fault causing the bread to crumble.
What did it taste like?
cheers.
Titch
Titch is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-29-2013, 03:53 AM   #5
Oldbob
is One Chatty Farker

Looks Like a Great Cook To Me !!
Weber Gasser Genesis Silver A
Pit Barrel Cooker
Maverick ET-732
VietNam Veteran US Navy
May you Sleep in Peace always...and Please....Thank a Veteran for That Privilege!!
Oldbob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-29-2013, 07:43 AM   #6
KyleOH

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingbassman5 View Post
I think your "mush" problem could've been the brine. Usually there is no need to brine a pork butt because it has a very high fat content and won't dry out very easily. Next time, skip the brine. Just rub and cook. Good job on the cook regardless! It had to be good if there was none left
Thanks guys. I am going to skip it next time. I read before hand that they where high in fat and I was wondering if I should or not. I see alot of people cooking theirs in 8-9hr so that why I was wondering if I need to speed my cook up.

Old 01-29-2013, 07:45 AM   #7
KyleOH

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieTitch View Post
That looks great,I want some of that.
Reread your recipe, your Kneading may be at fault causing the bread to crumble.
What did it taste like?
cheers.
Titch
It tasted really good. I let it set 30-40 minutes before slicing after removing from oven. It stayed together but not where you could just pick it up and eat it.

I sifted the flour and all that just maybe more mixing time? My mom said maybe more yeast aka more beer lol.

Thanks guys. Great site here. Regular now haha

Old 01-29-2013, 07:59 AM   #8
DubfromGA
is One Chatty Farker

Great looking food.

I think you hit a home run.

I agree on skipping the brine with butts.

I generally use a rub that crusts quickly and while it looks burnt, it quickly forms a nice barrier that seals in the juices.

After letting it rest in foil + towel for an hour I remove all the fat that I can before and during the pulling.

My wife sounds like yours in that she loooves SBR sauce.

I make my own light Eastern NC sauce that I put on it immediately after pulling.